So I made a cleaver.....

• Authorized Vendor

Headed to a new home. 

It's made from 1/4" thick 1095 professionally heat treated to RC 59 and received the cryogenic treatment as well.

OAL is 12"

Blade is 5 5/8"

Scales are bog oak from the Ukraine. This is from the seller...(  This is Russian Bog Oak lifted from the bottom of a river near the city of Chernigov. This precious material is called Russian "Black wood". The Bog Oak have been soaked in many years of history. Over centuries and a mellinium, sinking Oak trunks lay upon the bottom of a surface of water. They lie there for many years without any exposure to oxygen, completely submerged. In result of the chemical processes, the sap from the wood and minerals from the water dye the wood a black color. The birthplace of Bog Oak transpires from a few extremely important components: Oak trees growing by the riverside, a certain speed of the river current, and a few definite minerals in the water. Bog Oak is an extremely rare and unique material which color speaks for itself. The light pinkish yelow color represents aging from three to four hundred years, while the black is equivalent to more than a thousand years. Like elite wines, this incomparable wood undergoes many years of preservation, enabling the wood to gain a few unique qualities. Bog Oak is incredibly stoic, and through it's longevity it obtains an unrepeated texture. For a long period of time Russian " Black wood" has been used in carpentry, jewelry, knifemaking, etc. In Rus' there are many beleifs about the healing properties that Bog Oak contains. The wood is commonly used to heal people, and was especially popular as an item that usually surronded people. This valuable wood emanates a type of living energy that people absorbed involuntarily, thus speeding up the process of healing. The age of these Bog Oak blocks has been determined by a radiocarbon analysis and it's about 5460 years. )

It has copper liners and accents along with OD Green G10. It has mechanical as well as epoxy holding the scales. It also has a lanyard hole.

The sheath has carbon fiber boltaron pattern on front and black kydex on the rear.

31811047712_2e826b8b05_b.jpg

31811038122_200c7b26db_b.jpg

31958680865_fe843fa19e_b.jpg

31958642445_f6670dd842_b.jpg

• Like 14

Donald made this for my Stepson,

He wanted a Cleaver to "Henry the 8th" the Roosters  that we need to do on occasion, I told him it would be nice, but both he an I were blown away when Donald sent me the Pictures 

GT you are seriously  talented man, I will be sending you a Picture when I get home of the Cleaver that I want you to make for me, 

Happy New Year!

Edited by willis68
  • Like 2

Wow.  Very nice.

Many years ago, right after I graduated from college, I had a college buddy who went to work at a small metal shop near downtown Knoxville.  His boss didn't care if he hung around after work and used the equipment for personal projects.  They didn't really want him to let other people use the equipment (for liability reasons, I assume) but as no one else was there at the time I did.  I made a couple of cleavers but mine were purpose built just for hacking up meat and look more 'zombie apocalypse' than the works of art you produce.  They have pipe handles and one of them is actually a two-handed cleaver, more or less.  They weren't heat treated or anything and the edge on the smaller of the two isn't all that durable.  Like I said, nowhere near the class of your work.  Come to think of it, I'm not even exactly sure where they are right now.

Edited by JAB