Where do y'all conduct your private sales?

MrJones79

Guys thanks for all the responses.

I fully recognize that some people for whatever reason don't want to sign a bill of sale. I can appreciate the argument on both sides. You may lose a sale as a seller, and conversely you may lose the opportunity to purchase as a buyer. It's all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I like gun shop parking lots just because people are use to seeing guns coming and going from vehicles in those lots. They may get nervous at McDonalds. I tend to buy and never sell but I have been asked for drivers license and once for a carry permit. Most time they just ask the standard questions and we exchange cash for gun.

Walmart parking lots are heavily video-taped and that could provide some security in the event that you needed it. I have bought and sold many guns and usually have the buyer come to my office. It's safe, public, and my turf. No one has ever had an issue with that, as far as I know. I've met people at gun ranges, gun store lots, Home Depot, Walmart, church parking lots, truck stops, restaurants, even a parking lot at UT when moving my daughter into school.

The main thing is that you are comfortable with the buyer/seller. I usually flash my TDL or HGP. Some ask for a bill of sale, I have no issue either way.

On 12/31/2016 at 3:32 PM, bud said:

In addition to a bill of sale, I require the purchaser to also let me take a photograph of them for my records...

while they're signing the bill of sale... 

while also shirtless.

This is true. bud has several shirtless photos of me now. I don't like to think about what he does with them.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
47 minutes ago, gr8smiles said:

Walmart parking lots are heavily video-taped and that could provide some security in the event that you needed it. I have bought and sold many guns and usually have the buyer come to my office. It's safe, public, and my turf. No one has ever had an issue with that, as far as I know. I've met people at gun ranges, gun store lots, Home Depot, Walmart, church parking lots, truck stops, restaurants, even a parking lot at UT when moving my daughter into school.

The main thing is that you are comfortable with the buyer/seller. I usually flash my TDL or HGP. Some ask for a bill of sale, I have no issue either way.

Same for me.  

1 hour ago, gr8smiles said:

I had some fears to overcome - but that was due to meeting at a dentist office! Too many bad memories...

• Like 1
On 12/31/2016 at 3:00 PM, gregintenn said:

Good. You might note that you've never sold one to me. Perhaps I'm alone in this.

You aren't alone. My personal information is not required by law and is no one's business. I passed on a higher end 1911 I really wanted here recently because buyer had the "Bill of Sale required" BS on his ad.

• Like 1
There use to be one, but I don’t think the link works anymore. This is what I use…

BOS_zpsupjylmgl.jpg

The only issue I see here is that you are not required to be 21 years of age in order to buy a handgun from an individual. I'm assuming this is a BOS that was used by shops with an FFL.

53 minutes ago, conn_air7 said:

The only issue I see here is that you are not required to be 21 years of age in order to buy a handgun from an individual. I'm assuming this is a BOS that was used by shops with an FFL.

It’s a word document, so you can put in any age you want. I hold a C&R, so I use 21. If it was someone younger we would have to discuss that depending on what I am selling.

• Moderators

That BOS is called a 4473:)

It’s a word document, so you can put in any age you want. I hold a C&R, so I use 21. If it was someone younger we would have to discuss that depending on what I am selling.

Ah, I see. I didn't realize it was able to be modified!

Haha. Only that an FFL would use a 4473 for a transfer instead of a BOS such as the one above.

You never know, that BOS could have been used by FFL dealers before Obama was in office...