New Kid In Rogersville Area

Just moved to TN from MI. Family has been vacationing down here for over 40 years and TN was high on our list of retirement locations.  I was active on MGO for many years as Mike in Michigan and look forward to participating on this forum as well.  Retired from varied professional careers that left me with broad background of experiences and I like to help others whenever possible.  Still getting the home place sorted out to way my Lady wants it.  USN Nam Vet, looking for somewhere to shoot rifle at 100+ yds.  In process of reopening very successful 17 year gunsmithing business once the paperwork and building preparation for new location is completed.

4 hours ago, Mike in East TN said:

Thanks much.  We looked all over East TN for several months.  I'm originally from West Virginia and wanted to be "back up a holler".  Wife is Detroit-born and wanted to be within an hours of a Belks.

There's plenty of hollers up yonder.  Detroit born?  Get ready for culture shock... :)

Welcome from another former Michigander. Moved to Dandridge a bit over 3 years ago and haven't look back. Rogersville is a beautiful area too and  the gun climate here in East TN is pretty relaxed. I carry all over town both open and concealed and never have a problem. Good luck in the 'smithing venture too.

• Like 1

Have de-Detroited the wife over the last 25 years residing in Livingston County, MI.  Woods and dirt roads, no street lights or sidewalks and rifle range in my back yard.   Bald eagles and hawks in the air and deer in the back yard.  Moving  here was actually initiated by her.  I had to close a successful business as well as finish all those little things that needed to be done before we could list the old home for sale.  You don't have any idea how much ammo you have until you have to move it.  Will put out the word when I am open for business.  Also need to make connections with local sources for hot bluing and other metal finishing like color case, anodizing, rust blue, cerakote, etc.  I can use my MI sources if I have to but prefer to do business with locals whenever possible.

• Like 1

Welcome Mike. We looked at the Rogersville area when we were looking for property before going further South. Nice area. I think our realtor put over 500 miles on his car driving us around East TN trying to find the right place.

Welcome, Great little Café in town there, cheap n good! Iv read if you put in for an 07 FFL the BATFE will want you to get your ITAR permit at $2350 annual hit. Not sure about 01's but if you do virtually any real gunsmithing, the Feds require the permit.... freakin BO gestopo bull crap.

xtriggerman.  Have already found Miss Bea's and another smaller place up the hill from there.  Visited Oh Henry's...good food, takes forever to get it.  Locals call it "Slow Henry's".  South of town is the Southside Cafe, great breakfast.  Also south of town is Tennessee Jack's, great bar food, including the Shrimp Fetticine.  Tried Pig & Chix east of town, worst fried green tomatoes I ever had.

Shop will be in small barn on my property just over the hill north of Rogersville.  I work by appointment only.  That was the way I worked in Michigan and if it aint broke, no need to fix it.  I like to take off for a day or three from time to time.  After all, I'm supposed to be retired.  Still waiting for FFL.  

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Mike in East TN said:

Shop will be in small barn on my property just over the hill north of Rogersville.  I work by appointment only.  That was the way I worked in Michigan and if it aint broke, no need to fix it.  I like to take off for a day or three from time to time.  After all, I'm supposed to be retired.  Still waiting for FFL.  

That is the only way to work.. for yourself. Sadly I don't.

So what did the FFL inspection consist of. i have heard people say they can be picky.

2 hours ago, Mike in East TN said:

ITAR is for import / export.  I know there was something in obama's  wish list that would  have made general gunsmithing under that heading.  BATFE agent who interviewed me and inspected the site said nothing about ITAR.

Hi Mike,

I also originaly was going to go back into the gunsmithing business when I retired here 2 years ago. I had everything done with the state, even the "franchise tax" registration to pay taxes. Only the FFL was to be applied for, then I read all about the new ITAR language. Here you can read what these Lawyers seem to think they have a cash cow nitch in ITAR litigation for serving gunsmiths. Note the outrageous fines for violation! Needless to say, I have learned from the locals to fly under the Fed radar like so many "private" gun show tables. We looked at Rodgersville 3 years ago also but nothing jumped out at us. Im setting up a Kiln for color case hardening if you ever get in a jam for some colors. Ridiculous what they get for that on the net these days!

https://blog.princelaw.com/2016/07/25/ddtc-issues-guidance-on-itar-registration/

The BATFE "inspection was more of an interview.  I suppose my having recently held an FFL helped the process.  We covered the basic rules and regs as well as went over the paperwork required.  I sent the agent a letter the other day, asking about ITAR.  The response was that nothing had come down.......so far.  If that crock of crap gets tipped in my direction, I will definitely shut down.  Hard to justify thousands for a permit when annual gross is not much more than the cost of the permits.  But, after all, that is exactly the point of it.......Right?

• Like 2