Tn. vehicle insurance law

xsubsailor

Terrible law.  Can't they figure out that we have enough laws and what we need now is to start getting rid of them?  

I feel bad for people that live in places like Bartlett.  If you have a car that's visible from the street, it has to be tagged, running or not.  So now it has to be insured to be tagged.   What a waste!   Screw you Nashville! 

14 minutes ago, bud said:

Except in your Insurance premiums. :rofl: Someone has to pay for administration and enforcement.

I'm guessing we all pay about $1,200 per year for full coverage on vehicle 1.

That would be $100 per month. Most folks who are somewhat responsible can handle paying  $100 per month pretty easily. I assume most people pay their auto insurance premiums monthly. Most of us could pay $25 more per month and we'll complain, but still pay it without any real pain. "So....we'll be taking that extra 25% now", said the insurance man.

Next, I imagine the insurance man subs account management/compliance to a 3rd party low bidder. Just wait for the call one night from India that says (in my best, most offensive Indian accent) "Mr. Bud, you are in danger of lapsing coverage and you must maintain compliance".

Worst part is, this won't put a dent in the number of accidents involving uninsured motorists. Who's paying who to get this guaranteed to do nothing law passed?

To add context, I've had 3 total losses at the fault of uninsured motorists. It's just like any other accident in which you are not at fault. You pay for coverage, your insurance pays for loss. Handled just like any other accident. Insurance companies are fine, they're just trying to take a small, and budgeted for, limitation on their profits, and pass it on to consumers via government overreach. This is about insurance companies creating a new revenue stream, not insurance companies making up for unexpected losses. My longest post ever and all pure conjecture. 

Since I drive a 1997 Jeep Cherokee I no longer carry full coverage on it. If it gets totalled my agent said I would probably get about $1000.00 max on it. That is what I will get paid if I get hit by an uninsured driver also. So now I just carry liabilty and uninsured motorist and I pay my insurance every 6 months. It would cost me more to pay by the month plus it is a pain in the butt making another monthly bill payment. I would pay it by the year but they won't let me. They let me pay my boat insurance yearly and my Renters insurance yearly but not my Jeep. My agent said no one can pay it by the year. She said if the Insurance company wants to raise premimums they won't have to wait a year but can do it in 6 months. She also said she does not agree with that company policy but it is out of her hands.  

On 1/2/2017 at 6:05 PM, tnhawk said:

Insurance company notification to DMV that a policy is no longer valid will prevent most drivers from letting their insurance lapse.

Why would my insurance company (USAA- based in San Antonio, TX) take the time to even think about notifying anyone here if my insurance lapses?

Why would my insurance company (USAA- based in San Antonio, TX) take the time to even think about notifying anyone here if my insurance lapses?

Because it is the law. Most states already require it. Kentucky does. I sold a truck for scrap and cancelled the insurance. I got a letter a week later informing me I needed too turn in my plates.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk