Favorite Gun Oil

ma6907

Seems to me the market has become pretty saturated with new/different brands of gun oils.  Lately I have been pretty happy with the New Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil.  Prior to that I was pretty faithful to M-Pro 7.  I almost always have a can of Rem Oil laying around for applicatoions where I need to spray a lot.  What does everyone else use/like?

• Like 1

I was previously using TW25B after trying some that came packed with my Sig 229.  I used it for a while, but it is kind of gloppy.  Somewhere between oil and grease.  Smells nice, though.  Like coconut.  My new "favorite" is the Lucas Extreme--which smells kind of like berry flavored gum.

22 minutes ago, Hershmeister said:

Gibbs - hands down

That's why I asked.  never heard of Gibbs.  Thanks.  Interesting thing is some guys are very loyal to the gun oil they use.  Others will lube with motor oil or even kitchen oils.  guess I am trying to find one that makes me want to debate.  So far none have seemed better or worse to me.  Might be different if in Iraq or Alaska.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ma6907 said:

That's why I asked.  never heard of Gibbs.  Thanks.  Interesting thing is some guys are very loyal to the gun oil they use.  Others will lube with motor oil or even kitchen oils.  I know some die hards who still use WD-40.   Guess I am trying to find one that makes me want to debate.  So far none have seemed better or worse to me.  Might be different if in Iraq or Alaska.

I just switched to Break Free CLP and I'm happy with it. I honestly think too much focus is put on this. Synthetic motor oil seems to work for a lot of people as well. I have been guilty of falling for marketing BS and was using Frog Lube. I recently stopped using it after reading all the countless negative reviews. It's essentially overpriced coconut oil(not kidding).

FWIW, I've heard horrible things about Rem Oil as well. My advice would be to find an inexpensive one you like and stick with it.

I use M-Pro 7 cleaner for cleaning because it works as well as Hoppes #9 and doesn’t have a smell. I have various name brand oils; really doesn’t matter since I clean after ever use and keep them lubed.

I would really like to find a homemade gun cleaner that works well and doesn’t smell. I need to get another gallon on M-Pro and that stuff is $70 a gallon.

I have some FireClean I use on my Glocks. Not dedicated to it, just trying to use it up since I bought it to try.

For my AR, Slip 2000 EWL only. I read a bunch about this a couple of years ago and after buying some never looked back.

I do have a can of aerosol RemOil I use at times for quick rubdown of external parts but that is very infrequent. 

I am not a die hard of anything though. I will (and have) try different products, but right now I have stuff that works well and no reason to buy anything else. Breakfree is on my list to try at some point. 

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

I use M-Pro 7 cleaner for cleaning because it works as well as Hoppes #9 and doesn’t have a smell. I have various name brand oils; really doesn’t matter since I clean after ever use and keep them lubed.

I would really like to find a homemade gun cleaner that works well and doesn’t smell. I need to get another gallon on M-Pro and that stuff is $70 a gallon.

The smell is the best part :)

I used my spray bottle of M-Pro 7 and then refilled it with Hoppes #9.

• Like 1

A quick comment on Remoil. There is 1 that has ptfe in it, above all DO NOT GET THIS INTO BORE!!  I know firsthand the problems you can encounter. As you probably know ptfe is teflon, I almost got rid of a Remington 700bdl in 30-06 as it shot a pattern like a shotgun. It took several times cleaning the bore with Hoppes #9 and shooting it 50 rounds or so. It is now a great shooting rifle. Thought I would pass this along. Mac 

-Hoppes for lead remover and foaming bore cleaner.

-CLP for when I need something "cheap" ... or just need a solid oil to "get it done"

-SLIP2000 for what matters (heavyweight for slides... or SLIP grease)

-I use the pull through bore snake a ton... I clean when it's needed.  - which is not all the time.

M Pro7 or whatever it is was fine as well.  I'm sure most of them work just fine; I'm partial to SLIP.

Engine oil for my Glocks , and 1911 ,  grease and engine oil on my AR , and Ballistol to clean them all and for lubrication sometime too. Ballistol kinda seems to help guns get a "seasoned" layer on them where it's easier to clean them after using Ballistol on them a few times. Kinda like when you season a cast iron pan and it becomes better and better where the food doesn't stick.

For things that need oil, not grease, I use a 50/50 mix of 30 weight synthetic and automatic transmission fluid. If I want a little more cleaning action I add 10% of injector cleaner into the mixture. 

For things that need grease I use the molybendum disulfide grease from Walmart. It is less than $5 and lasts forever. 

• Like 2