Favorite Gun Oil

ma6907

back in the 60's it was hoppie #9 for cleaning with 3-in-one oil and  wd-40.  in the 70's it was hoppie #9 for cleaning with lsa weapons oil, wd-40, and 3-in-one oil.  in the 80's i used hoppie #9 with clp and/or lsa weapon oil.   then in the later 90's to now, i use hoppie #9 with mobile 1 and/or clp.  also i use some wheel bearing grease when needed.   this has worked well for me in my high volume match rifles over the years.

I use Hoppes products for the bore, CLP products for general internal cleaning and then apply a thin, quick spray coat of Eezox to the entire outside of the firearm and bore for anti rust properties, then after a 30 minute soak, wipe down with a clean rag and swab the bore again. Any friction area of a firearm gets a light touch of molykote grease.

Edited by Randall53
12 hours ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

For things that need oil, not grease, I use a 50/50 mix of 30 weight synthetic and automatic transmission fluid. If I want a little more cleaning action I add 10% of injector cleaner into the mixture. 

For things that need grease I use the molybendum disulfide grease from Walmart. It is less than $5 and lasts forever. 

What Dolomite said here aint a bad solution for everything... I'd almost bet "injector cleaner" is a pretty good alcohol... 

Very excellent, indeed, and can be made by the half gallon... That's a bunch of gun oil by anyones standards...

leroy

2 minutes ago, leroy said:

What Dolomite said here aint a bad solution for everything... I'd almost bet "injector cleaner" is a pretty good alcohol... 

Very excellent, indeed, and can be made by the half gallon... That's a bunch of gun oil by anyones standards...

leroy

It ain't the oil. It's the bottle.

• Like 1

My Dad is a Marine vet from Vietnam. When he handed me the first firearm he ever got me, he said "clean it and wipe it all down with Hoppes #9. It's all you need."

I have followed the advice for years and all is well.

Although, on some parts that get lots of friction, i will use just a dab of shotgun choke oil/lube.

Edited by superduty

The truth of the matter is; as Mr Wizard the Lizard says:   "... Lubricants is lubricants Cooter Boy...!"  Brother Mike's comment about the windsomeness of the bottle has lots of truth rolled up in it... The rest of it is pretty much snake oil salesmanship, marketing hype, pride in ownership, and a good dose of personal preference... From humble to great; they all work very well...

leroy... Disciple of "Mr Wizard the lizard"....https://www.google.com/search?q=mr+wizard+the+lizard&espv=2&biw=1014&bih=484&tbm=isch&imgil=eL7NvKgLTYRRjM%3A%3BapSv784-1tHclM%3Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fenchantedamerica.wordpress.com%252F2014%252F12%252F15%252Fmr-wizard-at-the-base-of-a-tree%252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=eL7NvKgLTYRRjM%3A%2CapSv784-1tHclM%2C_&usg=__L7j_sj6i1gQh5VkEr0rUs7QLKwY%3D&ved=0ahUKEwia-se12qPRAhWqy4MKHb5iDPEQyjcIOA&ei=WGhqWJruJKqXjwS-xbGIDw#imgrc=eL7NvKgLTYRRjM%3A

42 minutes ago, leroy said:

The truth of the matter is; as Mr Wizard the Lizard says:   "... Lubricants is lubricants Cooter Boy...!"  

Very true. I took a carbine course w/ Pat Rogers a while back and one of his favorite points was to fight with a wet bolt carrier group. Didn't matter what you used as long as it was lubed. To make the point he found someone w/ an insufficiently lubricated bolt, pulled out some vagisil and lubricated the bolt. Dude then went on to fire several hundred rounds that day w/o a single problem. I'm not going to run feminine products in my guns, but his point was well taken.

• Like 1

I've had great success with Hoppes #9, Slip 2000, Militec, and TW-25B. For Bolt guns I use the Shooter's Choice All Weather Grease.  

My first year in the military all we were provided was CLP for the small arms and LSA "whale sperm" for the big guns. I was always skeptical of using one thing to clean and lubricate...but if you wanted anything else you had to by it out of pocket.

Fast forward to the war(s) kicking off (and the accompanying funds for R&D) and it was quickly decided that additional options needed to be explored for cleaning and lubrication.

Hence we started seeing Militec and TW-25B being issued out as a lubricant, but for many of the small arms (minus Sniper Rifles) CLP was still used as a cleaning agent. 

Now that it's my own money buying it I usually stick to Hoppes, but like others have stated many of the products are very similar, it's just which wizzbang marketing scheme or sense of nostalgia you want to buy into. 

I used balistol semi exclusively for a few years, but that had less to do with the merits of the product than it did a late night drunken purchase of the ultra mega sample pack they sell on amazon supplemented with a coupleathree spray bottles as souvenirs from smoky mountain knife works.

That said I like the product fine and do believe it is seconded only by wd40 in usefulness around the house, and then only by a margin.

I have a bunch of stuff in the big 303 can including but limited to hoppes, balistol, clp, ultra elite hoppes, remoil, rubbing alcohol, choke grease, military grease, etc. I'm particularly loyal to none of it, it all does what I want, but hoppes smells the best.

I like using Frog Lube on my rimfire guns. Easier to clean and they've never given me any trouble. Everything else is pretty much CLP or maybe Remoil. I had a guy tell me that Hoppe's #9 will eat away at the metal under the chromelined barrel. Haven't read/heard anything negative otherwise about Hoppe's. Anyone else hear similar? Seems no one would use it anymore if it actually did damage.