Favorite Gun Oil

ma6907

• 1 month later...

Silver Bullet Gun Oil  [SBGO]

One shot/one soul

13% pig fat

I use it in a J. Dewey oil bottle for tight places

I think Midnight Rider puts a ball bearing in it now, but I use a 40 grain projectile [or 83gr Berrys] to mix it as I shake it.

SBGO.jpg

I've had problems with Frog Lube and cold weather.  The stuff turned into a paste like substance causing my bolt to have trouble operating properly on my AR-10.  I quit using it after that experience.

Now I use CLP and rem oil.  

Edited by MemHeli
  • Like 1
On 3/16/2017 at 3:52 PM, chances R said:

Ron 55. Any reports on your frog lube experience?

Sorry for the delay.  I have not gotten to run it over more than the shotgun that I was cleaning up. Definitely smells like you squirted out and entire tube of mint toothpaste. For what I have done with it I liked it. Cleaner seemed to work well on the years of build up without much elbow grease. The oil did not run as much as some of the oil I have used. It did seem thin enough to get in around the small crevices though. I have thought about getting some of the paste to really tackle the surface rust that is on one side of the receiver. I may just try a few more runs with the spray cleaner first. 

Not real scientific, but with the time and setup I have to work with, I can only do so much. I honestly hate the smell of oil on my hands. It seems to linger for days. The mint is strong, but a better option and it was gone the first time I washed. I also did not get the feeling that getting this on the wood would have adverse effects to the finish. I did not test that though. The only downside is that it does not seem like you could use this, oil a gun later, and go back to this without cleaning off all the oil first. This is according to the directions.

Thanks for the chance to test out some before I bought any. 

• 9 months later...

Engine oil . I keep it simple. For 24 years my handguns , shotguns , and rifles have been lubed with engine oil. If you want something else I say Ballistol. On semi-auto rifles like AR's I use wheel bearing grease on the slide points and engine oil on the bolt and small parts.

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 1
On 1/8/2018 at 8:05 AM, tercel89 said:

Engine oil . I keep it simple. For 24 years my handguns , shotguns , and rifles have been lubed with engine oil. If you want something else I say Ballistol. On semi-auto rifles like AR's I use wheel bearing grease on the slide points and engine oil on the bolt and small parts.

Any particular weight?

All this other stuff makes me sound like a cotton-pickin' simpleton... Eight years I've been recommending Hoppe's for cleaning, and Rem-oil for lubing... with emphasis on VERY light lubrication out here with all the dust, and NEVER any spray on preparations.

Ballistol for oil, synthetic bearing grease on wear parts.

The German Army has used Ballistol for over 120 years.  Of they found anything better, I'm sure that they would have switched.

Works well for storage as it leaves a waxy finish that doesn't evaporate like most oils.

8 hours ago, SWCUMBERLAND said:

Any particular weight?

All this other stuff makes me sound like a cotton-pickin' simpleton... Eight years I've been recommending Hoppe's for cleaning, and Rem-oil for lubing... with emphasis on VERY light lubrication out here with all the dust, and NEVER any spray on preparations.

I use 20W50 . Its thick but still more runnier than grease. I only use grease on my AR15 bolt and carrier. Sometimes I will use grease on my Beretta Cougar's rotating barrel locking block where the lug from the barrels goes into the channel on the locking block. Same with the Beretta PX4 .

• 3 weeks later...

Shooters Choice FP-10.  Nothing else give me the results I require.  I had been using the Shooters Choice solvent for several years and was (and still am) in love with the way it works.  Ran out of oil to keep on the bench and decided to give their oil a try.  Wow, was that stuff great.  I had been using this oil about 2 years when Kimber introduced the Solo.  For those of you who don't remember this introduction, the Solo is a compact 9mm that came factory equipped with reasons to malfunction.  They were very tightly fitted and rarely reliable out of the box.  We were sending them back to Kimber for correction in large numbers.  Kimber released a notice how they required owners of their Solo to fire a minimum of 200 rounds of 9mm ammo with a minimum bullet weight of 124 grains before returning the pistol for correction.  Kimber also required these owners to keep the pistol clean and lubricated.  The printed brochure that came with the Solo stated that if the owner desired to keep a warranty on the pistol they would lube the pistol ONLY with Shooters Choice FP-10.  When I read this I felt validated in my views of this oil.  About a year later the list of approved lubes that came with the Solo documents had increased.  Guess some of the other lube manufacturers got sore that they were not recognized for the quality of their products and griped to Kimber.  These additions do nothing to decrease the worth and utility of FP-10.  As we used to say back in the 60's, "try it, you'll like it."