Favorite Gun Oil

ma6907

Hersh beat you to it.  It is a really interesting test though.

To me the "hot dog" test is the most useful - I don't leave my guns out in the rain or saltwater spray - so my biggest concern is accidental rust from handling and rust over time...

Otherwise for me:

Ease of application (dripping, running, type of applicator etc)

How well does the bottle seal and travel without making a mess

During some competition last year I received a goodie bag that contained a bottle of Slip 2000 EWL (Extreme Weapons Lube).  I used it a few times since it was there and it seemed to work fairly well and then by accident I came across this video recently.  I don't know much about  this the guy other than I think he is the one that accused fire clean to be nothing more than vegetable oil.

https://youtu.be/lcBu6q61G3M

Edited by MP5_Rizzo
video link oops.
On 1/2/2017 at 5:08 PM, Hershmeister said:

H

To me the "hot dog" test is the most useful - I don't leave my guns out in the rain or saltwater spray - so my biggest concern is accidental rust from handling and rust over time...

Otherwise for me:

Ease of application (dripping, running, type of applicator etc)

How well does the bottle seal and travel without making a mess

Based on that link, I ordered some Frog Lube.  Found the 8 oz bottle on Amazon (coming from Canada so it takes a bit longer) for $15 delivered.  I figure that if nothing else I will use it to protect the outside finishes on both my firearms that I use a lot and carry--AND on my safe queens (Mainly Colt Snake revolvers that have in my opinion become too valuable to carry around much).  This is exactly what I was hoping to find when I made this post and am actually kind of happy I made it.  There IS (in my opinion) a difference in some of the lubes and despite several "snarky" things I have read about Frog Lube, this guy seems to have proven that maybe it IS better for some applications.  I have seen the displays at gun shows where they have the Frog Lube applied to a semi precious firearm and then they put that weapon in a little miniature desktop fountain with water pouring over it for the show.  I always figured that was just smoke and mirrors and that any oil would do the same.  This article proves (at least a tiny amount) that is not the case.  Thank everyone for their replies.  From here on out for me it is going to be grease for the rails, lucas extreme (with the little needle applicator) to protect the other moving parts and Frog Oil to spray on the surfaces.  (mainly because I already have a big bottle of Lucas oil that they GAVE me at the NRA in Louisville after complaining that I could not find any, and today I thought the $15 Frog Lube was too good to pass up on).  Worst case scenario I am overthinking it and it will still be fine.  Thank you all for your help in my mini project.  

Hoppes #9 for deep clean

I like the CLP products, slowly replacing as I run out of other stuff.

Carry a small bottle of Hoppes Elite oil (bottle doesn't leak) in my range bag

Whatever gun grease for my CZs.

Since I haven't had a failure due to lubrication, I suspect I don't qualify as a high speed operator needing mall ninja products.

• Like 1
During some competition last year I received a goodie bag that contained a bottle of Slip 2000 EWL (Extreme Weapons Lube).  I used it a few times since it was there and it seemed to work fairly well and then by accident I came across this video recently.  I don't know much about  this the guy other than I think he is the one that accused fire clean to be nothing more than vegetable oil.

well, I guess that pretty much answers it.  Thanks for posting that.

I have begun using the lube on the rails of my CZ 75 Compact and it seems to really help.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/7/2017 at 11:36 AM, ma6907 said:

Based on that link, I ordered some Frog Lube.  Found the 8 oz bottle on Amazon (coming from Canada so it takes a bit longer) for $15 delivered.  I figure that if nothing else I will use it to protect the outside finishes on both my firearms that I use a lot and carry--AND on my safe queens (Mainly Colt Snake revolvers that have in my opinion become too valuable to carry around much).  This is exactly what I was hoping to find when I made this post and am actually kind of happy I made it.  There IS (in my opinion) a difference in some of the lubes and despite several "snarky" things I have read about Frog Lube, this guy seems to have proven that maybe it IS better for some applications.  I have seen the displays at gun shows where they have the Frog Lube applied to a semi precious firearm and then they put that weapon in a little miniature desktop fountain with water pouring over it for the show.  I always figured that was just smoke and mirrors and that any oil would do the same.  This article proves (at least a tiny amount) that is not the case.  Thank everyone for their replies.  From here on out for me it is going to be grease for the rails, lucas extreme (with the little needle applicator) to protect the other moving parts and Frog Oil to spray on the surfaces.  (mainly because I already have a big bottle of Lucas oil that they GAVE me at the NRA in Louisville after complaining that I could not find any, and today I thought the $15 Frog Lube was too good to pass up on).  Worst case scenario I am overthinking it and it will still be fine.  Thank you all for your help in my mini project.  

Hey so how are you liking thr Frog Lube? Did you get the paste too? I am thinking of setting a full set to go across all my guns. Clean. lube and protect.

8 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

Hey so how are you liking thr Frog Lube? Did you get the paste too? I am thinking of setting a full set to go across all my guns. Clean. lube and protect.

I have lubed all of my weapons with frog lube.  So far none have rusted and all have gone bang.  Of course, several of my weapons (like my Grandfather's Colt Agent .38) are older than me and were already not rusted and already went bang--so i dont know really how to compare.  It has not seemed to hurt any of them?  I did not get the grease, just the CLP.

I am very tempted to pick up a bottle of ALG Go-Juice and try out (maybe their lube and very thin grease). I read some good things on a couple of other forums, the lube seems to be very thin but some people mixed the two products, or even the lube with something else to thicken it a bit.

The WeaponShield I picked up is working out good. Not that I ever had any issues or reason to question my Slip2000 EWL or other products....

I've used most of the popular products these days. Currently using weapon shield and just finished up the small bottle of solvent that came in the kit on amazon. The needle oiler is real handy and it cleans up real well, which is one of the things I look for in cleaning products since my guns see a lot of rounds.

Just bought the large bottles of Weaponshield CLP and solvent.