Is GA permit still valid?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, such person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee.

• All applicants, regardless of permits issued by another state will be processed as originals. The applicant must be twenty-one (21), take a DOS approved handgun safety course, complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, pay the fee, and be fingerprinted.
  • Licensing requirements are not included in the reciprocity agreements between states. The mutual recognition of handgun possession privileges between states has not changed and is listed on this website.
  • A facially valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit or license issued by another state shall be valid in this state according to its terms and shall be treated as if it is a handgun permit issued by this state; provided, however, the provisions of this subsection (r) shall not be construed to authorize the holder of any out-of-state permit or license to carry, in this state, any firearm or weapon other than a handgun.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, TennDawg said:

That's good info, thanks! So I can legally carry with my GA license while waiting for my TN HCP to arrive

All states do not recognize a Tennessee HCP, but Tennessee recognizes all states carry permits.

So you have six months from the time you establish residence. Without getting into splitting legal hairs the most obvious dates would be:

1. The date your plates or Driver’s license was issued.

2. The date you tell the Officer you established residence.

4 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

All states do not recognize a Tennessee HCP, but Tennessee recognizes all states carry permits.

So you have six months from the time you establish residence. Without getting into splitting legal hairs the most obvious dates would be:

1. The date your plates or Driver’s license was issued.

2. The date you tell the Officer you established residence.

I got a TN driver's license within a week of moving here, so there's really no question about when my residency was established. I'm actually glad that I procrastinated now since the price of a lifetime license was reduced. Even at $300 for a first time applicant it's still a good deal for me. I'm only 37 and I don't foresee leaving TN in the next 3 years. 

1 hour ago, TennDawg said:

I got a TN driver's license within a week of moving here, so there's really no question about when my residency was established. I'm actually glad that I procrastinated now since the price of a lifetime license was reduced. Even at $300 for a first time applicant it's still a good deal for me. I'm only 37 and I don't foresee leaving TN in the next 3 years. 

It's only 12.50/year for renewal. It'll take a good many years to come out ahead even with the lower lifetime price.

- OS

2 hours ago, chances R said:

Haven't read all the changes, but wasn't there a provision that automatically  revokes reciprocity if a state decides TN  HCP is not valid, therefore TN in turn does the same.

I haven’t heard anything about that; but I wish it were true. I believe Tennessee recognizes all carry permits. I helped talk to people in Illinois to gain support for carry permits, as I shoot more in Illinois than I do here. When they passed their carry permit, they offered out of state permits for $500 (I think that was the price). That’s crazy. But I couldn’t get one anyway, something about Tennessee not reporting mental health cases.

I was kinda chastised here because I suggested we not recognize Illinois permits. Some think that because they are azzhats; we should be either. I disagree. If a state doesn’t recognize our carry permits; they shouldn’t get to carry here. Otherwise nothing will change.

4 hours ago, chances R said:

Haven't read all the changes, but wasn't there a provision that automatically  revokes reciprocity if a state decides TN  HCP is not valid, therefore TN in turn does the same.

Nope. Would have to change the law to do that.

TN only has reciprocity with 19 states, while recognizing all the others.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot