TGO on the go - mobile phone style!!

Guest Boomhower

I just got an iPhone, and the site looks and works great.

Are you able to use it on 3G? I ask because I am thinking of anIPhone or other data phone, but 3G is not available where I am and I just wondered how good "regular" web surfing was in non-3G areas.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Boomhower
Are you able to use it on 3G? I ask because I am thinking of anIPhone or other data phone, but 3G is not available where I am and I just wondered how good "regular" web surfing was in non-3G areas.

From what I've played with on the iphones, web surfing on the "EDGE" is pretty much like dial up. But its still functional.

Here in the Tri-Cities edge works O.K., it is actually better than I thought it would be and as fast as work. I guess it depends on where you are. 3G works good. The Wi-Fi from my home router is great. I really don't expect it to perform like my pc, and I have no idea how fast it "should be", this is my first smart phone, sad thing is the last one was smarter than me. I'm happy with it, and amazed at the technology.

There is probably more computer power in this phone than on the moon missions. :D

Try one, they have a 30 day return (less 20% restock), I don't know if you have to keep the contract though.

I found a speed test App. Here's what I'm getting FWIW;

Down

Edge - 188k low - 205k (at home),

3G - 1.5m low, - 2m hi (at work in Johnson City)

Wi-Fi - 3.98m low 5.55m high (from my home router)

Up

Edge - 72k low - 96k High

3G - 99k low - 195 High

Wi-Fi - in the 230's consistently

Guest eyebedam

I have the non 3g iPhone. It's pretty quick as long as your in a decent coverage area. It's alot faster than dial up. I'm looking at other phones myself now. For web functions the iPhone can't be beat but as a phone itself it is a little lackluster.

I have the non 3g iPhone. It's pretty quick as long as your in a decent coverage area. It's alot faster than dial up. I'm looking at other phones myself now. For web functions the iPhone can't be beat but as a phone itself it is a little lackluster.

I assume you have the $30 Iphone data plan that AT&T requires...if so, is that just unlimited data or does it also include the GPS and/or MobiTV stuff as well?

Guest eyebedam

I don't have any mobtv. I use the maps feature that's on the phone itself & yes it is unlimited data. You can use it all you want for the low price of 30.00 more

Guest Boomhower

I tried opera mini, & it seemed to be working good for the first couple of times hat I used it, but all of a sudden it got slow & laggy & my phone started crashing. Maybe once they get It optimized for the Storm, i'll give a try again

I tried opera mini, & it seemed to be working good for the first couple of times hat I used it, but all of a sudden it got slow & laggy & my phone started crashing. Maybe once they get It optimized for the Storm, i'll give a try again

You need to clear the cache. One of the ways it goes faster without incurring large download cost is to store img and pages for later viewing. set it to clear every so often and it will work much better.