2017 New HCP Law

I missed this somehow.  I was always whizzed that I could go to Vietnam as a Marine but couldn't buy beer or a handgun.  This is a good one. Have a great new year!

Cherokee Slim

Handgun permit laws go into effect

Starting Sunday, those who are 18 to 20 years old who are active duty, retired or honorably discharged from the military will be allowed to apply for handgun permits. Currently, Tennessee residents must be at least 21 years old to get a carry permit for handguns.

Some lawmakers believe the law will help protect people by allowing people who know how to use weapons to carry them. The ”terrorist inspired” fatal shootings of five Chattanooga service members at a naval facility in July 2015 motivated the change.

Lifetime handgun permit costs will decrease in 2017 from $500 to $200. Go to the state of Tennessee’s website for more information on handgun carry permits.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Cherokee Slim said:

18 year old wounded and discharged medically, honorably, is the first that comes to mind.

Or a force reduction draw down.

Or if something like the Vietnam-era draft ever comes back, we could have 20 year old veterans after a 2 year stint.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1
On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 1:39 PM, 300winmag said:

We'll probably lose reciprocity with a few states by having the age lowered to 18 that someone can get a permit.

With that being the case, I'm not so sure I agree with the change. I'm sure the change was well intentioned by the lawmakers but they failed to see the repercussions or just didn't care. 

Eight years for $50.00 or $200.00 for lifetime once you come up for renewal.(must wait till 6 months prior to renewal if you currently have a permit)  Got to live 32 more years to make that worth while...at 63 I think I will just renew at the end of the 7 years out I am.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Worriedman said:

Eight years for $50.00 or $200.00 for lifetime once you come up for renewal.(must wait till 6 months prior to renewal if you currently have a permit)  Got to live 32 more years to make that worth while...at 63 I think I will just renew at the end of the 7 years out I am.

Good post, and I didn't fully understand till just now that the renewal price has actually been cut in half. That's never even been mentioned in any of the press about this.

They were still charging 12.50/year, prorated from 2 to 7 years when they first changed it to coincide with DL. Now it truly is just $50 for 8 years, or 6.25/year.

Also, just noticed that the whole idea of making it coincide with DL renewal has vanished, so that was several years of wasted effort.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
On 1/1/2017 at 1:51 PM, Kevinandkali said:

Lifetime handgun permit costs will decrease in 2017 from $500 to $200. Go to the state of Tennessee’s website for more information on handgun carry permits.

I just have to shake my head sometimes--just got back from the DMV to renew my license and handgun permit.  I had to bring up the website shown above to show the lady what I am supposed to be paying for a renewal!!!

Edited by phiferran
2 hours ago, phiferran said:

I just have to shake my head sometimes--just got back from the DMV to renew my license and handgun permit.  I had to bring up the website shown above to show the lady what I am supposed to be paying for a renewal!!!

No surprise there.........

So... Just lurking through as usual and have a question.  If you was a reservist in say the 90s will your military handgun training suffice for the class/range portion?  Reservists typically get a dd 256 instead of a dd 214. 

As trivial as it seems the biggest reason keeping me from getting my hcp is the time involved in the class (super busy schedule and a cheap bastard).  I would probably start the ball rolling asap if this was the case.

8 hours ago, trevorst said:

So... Just lurking through as usual and have a question.  If you was a reservist in say the 90s will your military handgun training suffice for the class/range portion?  Reservists typically get a dd 256 instead of a dd 214. 

As trivial as it seems the biggest reason keeping me from getting my hcp is the time involved in the class (super busy schedule and a cheap bastard).  I would probably start the ball rolling asap if this was the case.

If you want a deal on a class look at groupon type sites. There is normally some place offering classes for 50% off.

Honestly, if the state if going to require a permit for something that is a right, the class should be offered for free by the state (like hunter's ed.)

• 2 weeks later...