Powder Scale Recommendations

In the market for a new digital scale.  I've been using el cheapos for the last few years and tossing them when they stop holding a zero.  My latest is a pocket sized made by Frankford Arsenal. 

I'm looking for something easy to use and can be trusted for under the $150 mark.   What are your recommendations? 

Thanks for the help.

I have stuck with my RCBS beam, but have read a lot about the various digital scales. There are 3 scales that seem to top the lists depending on what you read. Not ranked, just listed:

Dillon D-Terminator -  https://www.dillonprecision.com/d-terminator-electronic-scale_8_7_25213.html

Ibalance 101-  https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004C3G73U/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_7?colid=3F4C3YMFNYUUQ&coliid=IXONWZZILSO4L

Gempro 250 -  https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004C3I3AA/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_6?colid=3F4C3YMFNYUUQ&coliid=I14O1AW0525S4T

If you want a combo dispenser/scale the RCBS Chargemaster seems to be the way to go.

26 minutes ago, whiterx said:

In the market for a new digital scale.  I've been using el cheapos for the last few years and tossing them when they stop holding a zero.  My latest is a pocket sized made by Frankford Arsenal. 

I'm looking for something easy to use and can be trusted for under the $150 mark.   What are your recommendations? 

Thanks for the help.

Trust your check weight. I have a few scales, and have been surprised how accurate the little Frankford is. When I am weighing every charge, I use a Chargemaster.

I use the Gem Pro 250 for 1st weighing that will read grains to the hundredth and move charge to Frankford scale just to double check powder charge that reads to nearest tenth    I reload for rifles mostly on single stage press and also have RCBS beam scale that is seldom used. Some may think this method slow but you get a rythm and it goes fairly fast.  Chances of mistake is slim using this procedure. 

Edited by deadeye111
changed units of measure
  • Like 1
On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:31 PM, frankmako said:

your best scale is a beam scale.  but they are slow when loading a large lot of ammo.  i got two dillon digital scales and a rcbs chargemaster combo.  any brand and all digital scales can give you problems.  

picked up a rcbs 505 on sale at palmetto state.  didn't want to go the beam route but the price was too good to pass up.  i'll most likely get the chargemaster as well later down the road.

thanks for all the input

Edited by whiterx

I started with the Frankford Arsenal scale, and still use it for a lot of stuff, but it tended to be "sticky" when hand trickling powder. It would hold a reading, then jump .3 or .4, too much, especially loading small pistol charges. I later bought a Lyman Micro-Touch for powder, much more consistent and stable to +/- 0.10 grain.

Last night I pulled down a round of Hornady 35 Remington to weigh the charge, powder weighed 36.9 grains. The weight of the loaded round, minus the bullet and case, equalled guess what? 36.9 grains!

Still in the budget category too, about $60.

Edited by ttocswob