Is the M&P 2.0 going to be a modular system like the P320 and P250?

TGO David

• Administrator

I was looking at the pics of the upcoming M&P 2.0 again and noticed a few things that make me think that maybe Smith & Wesson has succeeded in making the serialized part of the gun a removable firing control chassis similar to what Sig Sauer did with the P250 and P320.

If you notice the photos show that there is no longer a metal plate near the grip on the right-hand side of the frame. But we also saw those odd "openings" in the dust cover that we wondered what purpose they served. So I pulled the leaked Academy Sports advertisement into Photoshop, zoomed in, adjusted the contrast and brightness and, lo and behold, look what I found:

Inside those two portals in the polymer frame are a 3D barcode (QR code style) and the serial number! So it looks like S&W may really have a modular handgun!

mp2_seriallocation.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sure is awfully far forward.  Lot of guns have removable fire control groups that aren't modular. I would think it more likely if the serial number was further back.  If you are correct, then I hope their pricing is better than SIG's.

I don't recall reading anything about having a removable fire control group. I thought I read something about ambi controls, rail for accessories and no finger grooves on the grip. 

I'm looking forward to checking out the new M&P handguns. If it does have a removable trigger group, I wonder how they'll do it? I like the current offering, except for the trigger. Having felt an Apex trigger, it has me casually looking for a deal on one for another range gun. May hold off for the newest version. Depending...

S&W released a short video on Youtube. No mention of it having a removable fire control group. Just a more aggressive grip texturing and a crisper trigger with a more tactile reset. I hope the texturing is more like the Pro Series. I had a 5" CORE model that I regrettably traded. Hindsight is 20/20. 

• Administrator

Yep, no dice on it being modular but S&W did extend the stainless skeleton inside of the frame to the front of the dust cover which is why those serial number elements are visible through the polymer frame up near the front of the gun. 

It was an interesting thought! :)

On 1/4/2017 at 8:27 AM, TGO David said:

Yep, no dice on it being modular but S&W did extend the stainless skeleton inside of the frame to the front of the dust cover which is why those serial number elements are visible through the polymer frame up near the front of the gun. 

It was an interesting thought! :)

Wonder what the engineering thought was behind that. Always wondered how strong Glocks were in the front and if the frame flexed during a firing cycle. 

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, gjohnsoniv said:

Wonder what the engineering thought was behind that. Always wondered how strong Glocks were in the front and if the frame flexed during a firing cycle. 

Some Glocks suffered from what is called "pig nose" because of the flexibility of the frame up near the end of the dust cover.  A quick Google search is all you need to see a lot of examples of it.

• Moderators
Some Glocks suffered from what is called "pig nose" because of the flexibility of the frame up near the end of the dust cover.  A quick Google search is all you need to see a lot of examples of it.

True, but I don't think anyone ever really showed it to be detrimental did they?