2017 Legislative Goals

Not to keep flogging the deceased equine but I'd be satisfied if the TN Legislature would just remove the weight of law from the danged 'no gun' postings.  It should be that if a person is asked to leave and doesn't then it is a potential trespassing charge just like many, other states.  Haven't seen or heard anything to make me think there are any plans to attempt to do so, however.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2

Absolutely.  That would be a big improvement to our situation because it is not just private businesses that can put you in a pickle.  You can also come across these 'posted' properties when visiting local and state government owned buildings.  People can say just conceal and not worry about it but honestly what is the difference between that and how folks used to just carry without permits?  You used to just hope you didn't come to the attention of the one oddball police officer that would make a big deal out of you illegally carrying.  Most police did not care as long as you weren't causing trouble and then it was an add on.  But as a pro gun group we should be pushing to be legal when carrying in as many places as possible and one way to do it is remove the weapons charge from the signs.  

We know that the legislature does not want concealed carry without a permit so at least we should try to get more for our money out of these permits.  The whole "Am I legal at XYZ location" question comes up all the time so why not fix that?  We just had folks question their legality in carrying at the Chattanooga Aquarium.  Fix the problem and then folks don't have to worry.

Edited by 300winmag
  • Like 1

The likes or wants of the "legislature" has nothing to do with what gets passed, or even out of committee, all boils down to leadership, Bill and Beth mainly.  You put a gun bill on the floor it gets passed.

Current committee chairs all remain the same, all at the desire of the Speaker, and till we change that, nothing changes.

As long as the Chamber of Commerce donates the largest amount of money to campaigns, and the sitting legislators are afraid of the Sheriff's Association, Tennessee will never join West Virginia and Missouri with decent gun bills.

We have a few good bills up and ready to run, and a surprise or two.

I don't think that the business organizations really would care one way or the other if the 'no guns' signs have weapons charges behind them.  I would think the business organizations would have a much bigger problem and rightfully so with increased civil liability for a 'no gun' sign, similar to what was attempted in the legislature last year and the bill was watered down.  Also, as long as you let the local and state government offices still have that ability to ask people to leave, again I don't think they care if there is a weapons charge attached to it.

A business owner does not want to lose his ability control through policy what is on his property, whether that is firearms, alcohol, or someone not wearing shoes.  For example, if I do not want people to have beer on my property, even though legal under state law, I don't want the state telling me I can't tell people to remove their beer if I catch them with it.  This only becomes an issue if the people do not leave/take their beer and only then is it trespass.  Guns should be treated the same way in this state but strangely are not when compared to most states.

• Like 2