13 Guns Stolen From Murfreesboro Home

FortKnox

Probably just a gun cabinet, not a safe.  I only have a gun cabinet as well, but its directly across an EMS station which is manned 24/7, have a gun-nut of a neighbor and a gun-nut of a home owner which all leans toward nobody making off with my entire cabinet which is bolted down on the second floor.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Omega said:

Probably just a gun cabinet, not a safe.  I only have a gun cabinet as well, but its directly across an EMS station which is manned 24/7, have a gun-nut of a neighbor and a gun-nut of a home owner which all leans toward nobody making off with my entire cabinet which is bolted down on the second floor.

Mine's bolted down too, but to a concrete floor. :)

• Like 2

Kills me how they kept saying thirteen guns like they couldn't believe they had such a big arsenal :eek: enough to arm an army lol!  Probably would have acted less about ISIS stealing a Nuke. I guess if 13 is crazy most of us could arm a small country.

• Like 3
55 minutes ago, MudBugjr said:

Kills me how they kept saying thirteen guns like they couldn't believe they had such a big arsenal :eek: enough to arm an army lol!  Probably would have acted less about ISIS stealing a Nuke. I guess if 13 is crazy most of us could arm a small country.

It is a lot, most everyone on this board only owns a break barrel .22lr  Everything else has been lost over the years through a series of boating accidents.

• Like 13
10 hours ago, Omega said:

10 hours ago, SWJewellTN said:

Mine's bolted down too, but to a concrete floor. :)

Side cutting grinders rendered pretty much any "gun safe" super easy to get into without making a tremendous amount of noise someone in a neighboring house would notice. So given that and that the linings are dry wall they're really just a glorified gun cabinet instead of a gun safe. The fire proof aspects are equally deceptive as well so any future purchases "safe wise" I make will be towards a better grade gun cabinet bolted to the floor and wall inside of a locked storage room.

And the reason I selected this video is it's kids who've done a little research figuring out how to cut into the safe. The bottom line don't be fooled into spending more money for non existent protection and do some additional target hardening.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, TNWNGR said:

Side cutting grinders rendered pretty much any "gun safe" super easy to get into without making a tremendous amount of noise someone in a neighboring house would notice. So given that and that the linings are dry wall they're really just a glorified gun cabinet instead of a gun safe. The fire proof aspects are equally deceptive as well so any future purchases "safe wise" I make will be towards a better grade gun cabinet bolted to the floor and wall inside of a locked storage room.

And the reason I selected this video is it's kids who've done a little research figuring out how to cut into the safe. The bottom line don't be fooled into spending more money for non existent protection and do some additional target hardening.

The point was that my safe cannot be carried off like in the story. Anything can be broken into given time and determination to do so.

Kills me how they kept saying thirteen guns like they couldn't believe they had such a big arsenal default_eek.gif enough to arm an army lol!  Probably would have acted less about ISIS stealing a Nuke. I guess if 13 is crazy most of us could arm a small country.

You could probably arm all the healthy people in North Korea with these weapons systems platforms.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
9 hours ago, SWJewellTN said:

The point was that my safe cannot be carried off like in the story. Anything can be broken into given time and determination to do so.

Yep, not bolted down = smash and grab.  Bolted down and I doubt they want to hang around for 10-15 minutes after the alarm goes off lol.  

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 6:57 AM, SWJewellTN said:

18 hours ago, Sam1 said:

Yep, not bolted down = smash and grab.  Bolted down and I doubt they want to hang around for 10-15 minutes after the alarm goes off lol.  

I completely agree on the bolted down and home alarm deterrent aspects but not everyone has a home alarm system. Home alarm systems are great but I've seen some fancy systems defeated. I've also seen stuff picked up and carried off that I thought would have taken a forklift.

Sounds like some one the gun owner may have known that new that person would be out of town giving them that amount of time to get the safe/cabinet and not be seen.......jmo there. As for my safe and someone stealing it. I won't say it can't happen but I can say they better come well equipt with lots of tools and plan on making a very large amount of noise. I also have neighbors that are extremely nosey and know everything that goes on. They have called me from time to time and ask me if I know about  Such-N-Such truck that is in my driveway while I am out and have a full desription and tag number to give me. I have a lot of guys stop in to talk about fishing baits I make and sell so neighbors don't see them enough to know if they belong here or not so they call.

My safe is tie bolted to a concrete floor and also a side wall in my house and not garage. I also have every serial number in a floor safe they would have to use a jack hammer to get out. I also have an accurate ammo count so if it did disappear I could give the police an accurate count of that also. This world has gone to hell in a handbag and it is hard to trust anyone if you don't know them or been aquainted with them in some way and then some of them are questionable..................JMHO

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Ronald_55 said:

Anybody ever looked at putting a mercury switch alarm in your safe? That way if it tips up, the Alarm is triggered. Not sure if anyone makes them though.

Not a mercury switch but I do have a motion sensor alarm in mine.  Its cheap but works great, I got it to keep anyone from sneaking in on me at my hunting area and have since bought more. 

http://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-driveway-alert-system-93068.html

2 hours ago, TNWNGR said:

I completely agree on the bolted down and home alarm deterrent aspects but not everyone has a home alarm system. Home alarm systems are great but I've seen some fancy systems defeated. I've also seen stuff picked up and carried off that I thought would have taken a forklift.

As they said previously, all you can do is deter, you will never stop a determined person.