Question regarding HCP and form DD 256 for reservists

So... Just lurking through as usual and have a question.  If you was a reservist in say the 1990s will your military handgun training that all members receive suffice for the class/range portion?  Reservists typically get a dd 256 instead of a dd 214, the dd 256 is a pretty vague document that just basically states you were honorably discharged no where on it does it state your qualifications or classes. 

As trivial as it seems the biggest reason keeping me from getting my hcp is the time involved in the class (super busy schedule and a cheap bastard).  I would probably start the ball rolling asap if this was the case.

(this was a double post I posted to a reply in the 2A forum).

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A DD-256 is a nice suitable for framing doc. that states that you were discharged. A DD-214 shows your job classification and quails, awards, commands, I do not think the state will accept your military training. I could be wrong on this as I often am so I'll let someone else answer that. You need to get a copy of your DD-214 for future needs and register it at your local court house so you will always have a copy.

I requested my records some time back from NPRC and received basically my enlistment papers and a form 1070/615 which is a record of discharge from USNR, still a pretty vague document.  A DD214 was not issued because active service was less than 90 days.