Updated: Didn't get much sleep....brought a new lady home!

Hozzie

Good Update at last post:

Original Post:

Well, today was a tough one.   I took Ellie to my Vet and found out she has a very severe heart murmur and probably only had a life expectancy of 2 years.   The breeder told me before I picked her out that she had a slight murmur, but her vet said he thought  it could close as she got older.   My vet disagreed and thought it was very severe so I had to make the very tough decision to return her to the breeder.   

The breeder handled the entire situation with empathy and class.  I couldn't have asked them to handle it any better.   They are going to get a second opinion, but I just couldn't start down that road with a new pup.  I am obviously upset by this, but it would have only been worse had I waited longer.   I guess it's time to reflect on this and wait for the next right time.   It's a sad night for me. 

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 17

She is beautiful! Congrats! After my little buddy passed, we didn't want another for awhile so we could have a bit of a life. That lasted about a month till this little guy ran in to our lives. 

Nothing like mans best friend!

image.jpg

Edited by Ugly
  • Like 6
1 hour ago, Hozzie said:

She's a bit hairy, but cute as can be ;)

IMG_1003-338x450.jpg

I lost my last dog in February of last year and took a bit of time before getting another.  This is Ellie.  She is an 8 week old Australian Shepard. 

IMG_0986-426x450.jpg

Ellie is gorgeous! We have a mixed Aussie/Border Collie and Molly is awesome. She's now 8 years old and has us well trained.

• Like 1

Beautiful pup. We got a new friend a few weeks ago as well. Josey is now 11 weeks. Border collie mix. First week, she'd need to go outside at about 3 am, but after that she could go all night. Pups are a lot of work but great fun.
2dac11e0c1fccbf7c9517841ac8ae54a.jpg
66f784702bf292640c4ef33ecedba7af.jpg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Hozzie said:

Thanks Everyone!

It's fun to see their personalities start to come out more and more.  She is pretty laid back and doing very well at night so far.  I am hopeful it keeps up.

You probably already know the drill, but...

Take'em out to potty when they wakeup...when they eat...and when they play.

The Aussies/Heelers/border Collies are all very, I repeat very intelligent. So they learn quickly. And I think as much as any other dog, maybe more so, they love to be praised. Praise is almost as good as a treat when training. They just seem to love pleasing you.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, Smith said:

Beautiful pup. We got a new friend a few weeks ago as well. Josey is now 11 weeks. Border collie mix. First week, she'd need to go outside at about 3 am, but after that she could go all night. Pups are a lot of work but great fun.
2dac11e0c1fccbf7c9517841ac8ae54a.jpg
66f784702bf292640c4ef33ecedba7af.jpg

She's a beauty, buddy. Already got that little sideways cut of the eyes going. lol  You'll be amazed at how quickly her personality develops.

10 hours ago, hipower said:

You probably already know the drill, but...

Take'em out to potty when they wakeup...when they eat...and when they play.

The Aussies/Heelers/border Collies are all very, I repeat very intelligent. So they learn quickly. And I think as much as any other dog, maybe more so, they love to be praised. Praise is almost as good as a treat when training. They just seem to love pleasing you.

Yeah, I am a dog nut so have most of the main training practices down.  I work at home so it makes it easier to make sure she is able to go out every few hours for a potty break.  So far, she hasn't went inside, but I am sure that streak won't last.

54 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

Yeah, I am a dog nut so have most of the main training practices down.  I work at home so it makes it easier to make sure she is able to go out every few hours for a potty break.  So far, she hasn't went inside, but I am sure that streak won't last.

If you are doing all the basics, I believe you won't have a problem with Ellie "going" inside. As she seems to have learned that outside is her potty place, I think you'll find that she will not "go" inside unless an absolute emergency or sick.

Our Molly has had one inside episode in her 8 years, and that because I didn't react fast enough when she  was still a puppy. She was standing at the door whining and I didn't get there in time. Little girl was so embarrassed.

Now, she has been sick a couple of times inside, but always in the same place, a hallway rug outside the bathroom. It's as if she telling us this is where we go, so she will use it as well.

But she always seems so ashamed that it happens inside. Really...she will come to one of us with her head down and tail tucked, like she expects to be scolded or punished.

I swated her once as a puppy with a plastic flyswatter, tapping he across the butt for some incident I can't even remember. Till this day, if I even pick up the swatter to go after a fly, she will drop and cower as if she's about to be punished.

These little critters have a tremendous memory! And about the most affectionate dog I have ever seen.

I even hate to refer to Molly as a dog. She gets spoken to, and treated like a person. And I swear that she understands us. More responsive to talk, I really hate to say commands, than other dogs, and even the children in our neighborhood. 

You already love her, that shows. But you will be amazed at how close you'll get to Ellie.

Yes, I'm one who considers our little companions, friends, and sometimes protectors almost human; and definitely a very close family member.

• Like 1

Unfortunate Update:

Well, today was a tough one.   I took Ellie to my Vet and found out she has a very severe heart murmur and probably only had a life expectancy of 2 years.   The breeder told me before I picked her out that she had a slight murmur, but her vet said he thought  it could close as she got older.   My vet disagreed and thought it was very severe so I had to make the very tough decision to return her to the breeder.   

The breeder handled the entire situation with empathy and class.  I couldn't have asked them to handle it any better.   They are going to get a second opinion, but I just couldn't start down that road with a new pup.  I am obviously upset by this, but it would have only been worse had I waited longer.   I guess it's time to reflect on this and wait for the next right time.   It's a sad night for me. 

Edited by Hozzie

No offense taken. It was a terrible decision to have to make. I asked about surgery to fix it, but they said that would be 3-5k. I bought her because of her pedigree and paid for it. The Breeder even said when you pay that much money, you shouldn't have to worry about that and have such a short time with them.

If there is a good side, the Breeder said worst case she will keep her and make sure she has a good life. I will get another from them, but going to wait for a future litter.

• Like 1

I hate finding murmurs on puppies.  Best case scenario, it goes away.  Worst case, it is pathological and will lead to premature heart failure.  Unfortunately, the only way to know is by doing moderately expensive diagnostics.  It is really sad when an owner has already become attached to a puppy.  It also really sucks having to euthanize a 3-year old dog for congestive heart failure.

• 2 months later...

Well, after two months, some very good news.  I took Ellie back to the breeder with no expectations, but low and behold they went above and beyond and did the needed surgery to fix Ellie's heart murmur.  I just brought her home for the second and last time.  She cleared 3 different vet's with no sign of the murmur.  She should lead a long, normal life with no side effects.  It's pretty remarkable what they can do these days.

Here she was at 8 weeks.

Ellie%202%20months-600x337.png

And today at just over 4 months.  

Ellie%204%20months-600x337.png

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 7