If flying to Ft Lauderdale, would you take your carry piece with you?

musicman

If you were flying in to Ft Lauderdale Wednesday. Would you take your carry piece with you?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. After Friday's shooting at Ft Lauderdale airport, would take your carry gun with you in your checked baggage?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe, and I'll explain in a response post

Wednesday I'm flying home to Miami for a few days to spend some time with my parents.  I normally drive down and back as plane tickets are usually pricey and it's usually me AND wifey going, doubling the cost to fly.  This time it's just me as I have time off to burn and she doesn't, and the round trip is $97, all taxes and fees included.  (!!!!!!)

I haven't flown anywhere in a long time, and this will be my first time flying since I've committed to carry wherever and whenever I can.

I have already heard horror stories about firearms being stolen from baggage, and am willing to take that risk by itself.  I love my PC Shield, but they're making more every day so no biggie there. 

Then this nutbag shoots a bunch of folks Friday, right where I'll be Wednesday.  I imagine the trauma is still fresh and tensions (and possibly over-sensitive and reactionary security) are still high.  I am wondering if it is worth taking my piece with me.  Sadly, my folks aren't really into guns.  My Dad has a fullsize M&P 40 and I have holsters for it, but I can't conceal that thing on myself, especially in the shorts and tshirt attire I'll have on down there.

I'll be down there 6 days. What say you, TGO? 

Edited by musicman
2 hours ago, TrickyNicky said:

I wouldn't change my plans. You declare your gun on your end, not the receiving end so their feels probable won't come into play one way or the other.

I would probably take one if it was me.  But it does have to be declared on the trip home. 

• Like 1

I'd go ahead and do so but I'd also consider taking a duplicate or lesser used carry pistols to store at your parents house for future trips. Then you have even more of an excuse to take advantage of visits there w/o the concern of theft from baggage.

• Like 3

I just take what I carry, if the thieves are smart they will avoid taking bags with weapons.  A camera or even laptop goes missing, they will look, but pretty much tell you you're are SOL. A weapon goes missing, at an airport and I am sure all hell will break loose, and I am sure they don't want the increased scrutiny.  Besides, unless you get what you train with, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage.  If you have to do that make sure to get some range time with your new gun.

• 2 weeks later...