Military Surplus collectors

Hey everyone,

I'm a collector like many of you in this particular sub forum and I'm still fairly new to living in TN. Been here in Chatt for 6 months. These past few years have found me collecting all sorts of firearms so I have a pretty eclectic collection. Can anyone point me in the direction of shops that have old military rifles for sale that's within an hour or so drive of Chattanooga? I love learning about old rifles and actually seeing them in person. In particular I like WW1-Vietnam era rifles. I have a pretty modest collection because I can't just buy Mil-Surps, pistols, Bullpups, AK's or other tactical style rifles. Essentially if I see it, it's a good deal and I can afford it without my wife getting irritated about it, I'll buy it and tuck it away. I went to a gun show here in Chattanooga right after the election ended and to put it lightly, I was disappointed. Nothing much there. There's a whole lot more at the shows where I'm from in Birmingham. Or at least there has been previously. Haven't been to one in well over a year. Thanks for all the help guys. I've enjoyed reading through old posts and looking at pictures and adding to my gotta have list of guns to buy. Without a doubt I've been bitten by the bug.

• Like 1

I can't speak to shows around Chattanooga, but milsurps are not all that common in shows in middle and west Tennessee either.  Your best bet is to get a C&R if you don't already have one, start combing the internet.  Much better selection, and they are shipped to your door.

• Like 1

I second the C&R. $30 and you don’t have to mess with FFL’s. It also gives you a little discount from some suppliers.

I haven’t seen anything at shows priced any less than retail shops. If you notice most of your local gun shops don’t even have a table. Why should they drag the guns to a show to sell them when they will sell them in their shops? There is no real discounting like there was years ago at gun shows. Today’s gun shows are the forums and the gun sale sites.

When places like AIM throw the good deals up; they are usually gone in hours. You then pay more for them from the resellers. You have to be ready to buy and be fast.

I would've got a C&R a couple years ago if I could have. After getting out of the Army and attending college I haven't stayed in one place more than a year. I'll only be in this state for another 6 months tops for my wife's career. As soon as we settle and buy a house, a C&R is on my list of things to get. I've been pretty lucky with finding deals online but I was curious if any local shops specialized in them or had a decent enough inventory to look at. I work part time at a gunshop in addition to my full time job so having anything shipped or transferred isn't too bad. Just have to pay the background check fee and if there's a shipping cost. I've tried concentrating on certain countries but my collection is from all over the place. What started it all was an M1 Garand and then a 91/30 round receiver. Now I have a couple Mauser's, K31, Rasheed, FR8, Tula SKS, M39, Hex receiver 91/30, Enfield No5 Mk1, and maybe 1 or 2 more. They're mostly all still in AL since we live in a rough part of Chat. Really want a Hakim and a Lljungman as well as other semi-auto's but I try and buy whatever strikes my fancy, has a good price and I can afford without pissing off my wife.

It bewilders me that we have to pay $10 for a background check up here but if NICS goes down for whatever reason, then TICS can't do a background check. In AL, along with many other states, all you need is a CCP and you're good to go. I guess it's a tax thing. Could be worse. When I was stationed at Ft. Dix, NJ you had to wait 30 days to take possession after purchasing.