AR prices coming down?

jonnnyboy

I'm willing to bet they fall further than we've seen them in quite a while. If you look at the previous 10 years gun purchases have gone up and up(especially the last 8 years) due to expected regulation. With the new administration incoming in mere days most doubt there will be new firearm restrictions this cycle and some believe that there will soon be less.(I.E. the HPA passing to remove suppressors from the NFA registry) All of this has created an excess supply mirrored by a drop in demand.

Prices will drop so much that a lot of these upstart companies and small businesses will go bankrupt unless they can expand into something different. Same will happen to AK's I'd say. There'll be a ripple effect for sure. Definitely a buyers market. Almost want to feel bad for the hoarders that gouged people a few short years ago with their pricing. Almost...

It also makes me curious about companies such as Savage and Springfield bringing to market their AR's and how they'll fare. The market is flooded already, and yet, they're introducing another black rifle. I guess only time will tell. 

I'm glad to see this trend. I think 2.ooohhh hit the nail on the head.

How long this all will last is anybodies guess. The anti's will not rest, so it's great to be able to affordably purchase things you believe you'll need in the future, or even just simply want/choose to own.

But there will most likely be a time in the near future when we look back at this time as the "good ole days". 

Just my ever devaluing $0.02 worth... 

I've never completely bought into the black rifle mystique but slowly over time I'm coming around.  The versatility and changeability of the system make it attractive to the firearms enthusiast who likes to play with gun stuff.  It really is the "Barbie Doll" for guys that I always heard it was.  Of the three calibers I've played with in this format (5.56, 300blk, 9mm) the 9mm is my present "fun gun."

With all that said, "black rifles" may continue to increase market share based solely on its availability and appeal to younger shooters.  I hope so just to see where all this development goes.  Very interesting!!!  I hope the prices continue to lower if for no other reason than it allows more folks to become involved in shooting.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Now is the time to buy.

Hoard more than you'll need in this lifetime because the next election might yield a majority anti-2A politicians who will get an AWB passed like Bill Clinton did. 

This is true. Buy what you want/need now (or soon). 

I'm pretty well set with black rifles. I will always continue to look for deals on mags and spare parts though. My interests lately are shifting back to old guns (single action revolvers, milsurps, classics, etc.). Too bad they're not as cheap as most AR's these days :-\

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Wingshooter said:

This is true. Buy what you want/need now (or soon). 

I'm pretty well set with black rifles. I will always continue to look for deals on mags and spare parts though. My interests lately are shifting back to old guns (single action revolvers, milsurps, classics, etc.). Too bad they're not as cheap as most AR's these days :-\

I may have a few more I'd like to build someday but am in better shape than the average AR owner now. But outside of that, after the post-Newtown drought of spare parts I decided I'd never get caught with my pants down again. I have divider trays full of spare parts of almost anything I could need for a long time. I don't dip into it either. If I plan to build something, I'll order all the parts I need for the build. Plus I'll add some spare parts to the order for the trays. They spares aren't just for what I may need someday but for friends as well. I plan to continue stocking it along with mags and probably spare barrels, bcg's, and stripped lowers. Yeah, those droughts left a bad taste in my mouth so I'm gonna enjoy these cheap days and plentiful supplies. 

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, rugerla1 said:

I may have a few more I'd like to build someday but am in better shape than the average AR owner now. But outside of that, after the post-Newtown drought of spare parts I decided I'd never get caught with my pants down again. I have divider trays full of spare parts of almost anything I could need for a long time. I don't dip into it either. If I plan to build something, I'll order all the parts I need for the build. Plus I'll add some spare parts to the order for the trays. They spares aren't just for what I may need someday but for friends as well. I plan to continue stocking it along with mags and probably spare barrels, bcg's, and stripped lowers. Yeah, those droughts left a bad taste in my mouth so I'm gonna enjoy these cheap days and plentiful supplies. 

You're doing better than me with spare parts. It seems whenever I get a healthy supply of parts they all get together for a party and a new AR is born :)  I do have a good supply of springs, pins, etc, but I need to add to it.

Edited by Wingshooter
  • Like 1

So if prices are dropping, where is the best place for me to pick up stripped lowers? Not real picky on brand, as long as I have heard of it. I figure I could put a few back for later. I can't seem to find them locally. Every time I see an private sale ad for some, they are either way over MSRP, or the seller is like a ghost and never gets back to me. 

I figure I can pick other parts as cash presents itself.

Thanks

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

So if prices are dropping, where is the best place for me to pick up stripped lowers? Not real picky on brand, as long as I have heard of it. I figure I could put a few back for later. I can't seem to find them locally. Every time I see an private sale ad for some, they are either way over MSRP, or the seller is like a ghost and never gets back to me. 

Thanks

Honestly I haven't searched for any. I am pretty sure the next couple I build will be billet with high quality components. Would love to do a Round 2 of the CMT TGO billet sets. If I see any I'll post it here though. 

49 minutes ago, Wingshooter said:

You're doing better than me with spare parts. It seems whenever I get a healthy supply of parts they all get together for a party and a new AR is born :)  I do have a good supply of springs, pins, etc, but I need to add to it.

Ive got enough standard trigger guards to choke a horse since I always put oversized ones on instead lol. So if you need a couple to make your parts bin look full holler at me :biglol:

But at least you have springs and pins, I know a lot of people that have an AR with zero parts. I was laughing the other day at myself because I have BCM Gunfighter charging handles in each one of my AR's. I thought damn, I have enough money in them alone to build another AR haha. I love those CH's though!

palmettostatearmory.com has them as well as complete lowers on a regular basis. Sign up for their daily deal e-mail blast and be ready to pounce when something that strikes your fancy comes through. I think they currently have stripped blemished lowers for $50. They also have a complete rifle lower with Magpul furniture right now for $150. I've bought quite a bit from them over the past year. 

1 minute ago, rugerla1 said:

Ive got enough standard trigger guards to choke a horse since I always put oversized ones on instead lol. So if you need a couple to make your parts bin look full holler at me :biglol:

But at least you have springs and pins, I know a lot of people that have an AR with zero parts. I was laughing the other day at myself because I have BCM Gunfighter charging handles in each one of my AR's. I thought damn, I have enough money in them alone to build another AR haha. I love those CH's though!

I have a few misc parts that never really become part of a new build. I have a few trigger guards too because I also install the oversized ones, lol. I also go with the large latch BCM CHs, so I have a few "standard" ones left over. I have a couple BC's with no bolts :-\. I have a ton of standard grips 'cause I always put on a Magpul Moe+. Plastic handguards, springs, pins... I probably have more parts than I realize, lol.

• Like 1

Entry level ARs have become commodity items. Many manufactures make them to very similar specs and mechanically most are indistinguishable aside from a few logos and stampings. The more made the cheaper and cheaper "acceptable" basic AR parts will get. Now premium parts will still command market value be it due to improved function or consumer perceived improvement of function or looks. Magpul grips are a perfect example, while functionally they make little real effect on the rifle they have convinced the average consumers in mass that they will prefer one of them and that they are therefore worth "x". Marketing at it's finest. That said I also have them on most of my ARs. What I'm interested in is seeing where box stock BCGs, lowers, LPKs, and ammo end up. . .

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, 2.ooohhh said:

Entry level ARs have become commodity items. Many manufactures make them to very similar specs and mechanically most are indistinguishable aside from a few logos and stampings. The more made the cheaper and cheaper "acceptable" basic AR parts will get. Now premium parts will still command market value be it due to improved function or consumer perceived improvement of function or looks. Magpul grips are a perfect example, while functionally they make little real effect on the rifle they have convinced the average consumers in mass that they will prefer one of them and that they are therefore worth "x". Marketing at it's finest. That said I also have them on most of my ARs. What I'm interested in is seeing where box stock BCGs, lowers, LPKs, and ammo end up. . .

Maybe we will see the $250 milspec carbine AR. 

I agree on Magpul, I have it on my pieced together AR, but I bought a used set dirt cheap. Other than that I woukd have just had a cheap set. New take-off DPMS sets can be had for $10-$15. They do what 85% of shooters need.

14 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

Thanks

You ever ask at your local gun store? Most have them, but rarely have them displayed. I guess because they'd be easy to put in one's pocket and walk out.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

You ever ask at your local gun store? Most have them, but rarely have them displayed. I guess because they'd be easy to put in one's pocket and walk out.

I have at a few, but most have not had them when I asked. I think a lot of them go ahead and build a cheap AR with anything they have lying around. Several of the stores are handguns and hunting rifles only. I still have not gotten a good relationship with one that is close enough for frequent stops. The couple close are not a good fit for me on attitude or environment. The couple I like are way out of my way. Maybe if I was a "regular" I might get calls when they get something. 

I might have to break down and get some online from PSA or something. I just kind of hate to order a $50 lower off PSA and then pay $25 for transfer and background check. I know it spreads our if I order several, just still seems wrong.

And, Yes, I know I sound like a cheapskate in this and some other posts, but I have a finite amount to spend, I had better make the best of it.

Edited by Ronald_55
11 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

I have at a few, but most have not had them when I asked. I think a lot of them go ahead and build a cheap AR with anything they have lying around. Several of the stores are handguns and hunting rifles only. I still have not gotten a good relationship with one that is close enough for frequent stops. The couple close are not a good fit for me on attitude or environment. The couple I like are way out of my way. Maybe if I was a "regular" I might get calls when they get something. 

I might have to break down and get some online from PSA or something. I just kind of hate to order a $50 lower off PSA and then pay $25 for transfer and background check. I know it spreads our if I order several, just still seems wrong.

And, Yes, I know I sound like a cheapskate in this and some other posts, but I have a finite amount to spend, I had better make the best of it.

Oh, I understand. It doesn't seem very economical to pay shipping, transfer fees, and a background check on a $50 hunk of aluminum.  Maybe you could pick some up a a local gunshow then.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, gregintenn said:

Oh, I understand. It doesn't seem very economical to pay shipping, transfer fees, and a background check on a $50 hunk of aluminum.  Maybe you could pick some up a a local gunshow then.

I plan on trying to get to one of the local ones soon. i missed the last couple. 

I had even thought about trying out an 80% lower, but I don't trust my skills that much yet. 

5 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

I plan on trying to get to one of the local ones soon. i missed the last couple. 

I had even thought about trying out an 80% lower, but I don't trust my skills that much yet. 

I don't have a milling machine, nor the knowledge to use one, so an 80% lower seems like it would be a pain in the arse to me.

• Like 1

Check to see if the shops in your area are on Facebook. See if they can order them for you and at what cost. That is how I found my last stripped Anderson lower. Also check and see if your local shops have an online store. In some cases their distributers will have a premade site setup that they insert the shop's name and info in. You can place the order online and not have to deal with the transfer fee. I have a couple smaller local shops that operate this way. I was able to get a few guns cheaper by ordering them online from their website compared to the price quoted in store. That's because the distributer sets the online price point which may be lower than the shop's markup.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

The price of all guns is coming down. Even used isn’t selling like it was. Buyers don’t feel guns will be banned and they won’t be able to get what they want (at least for 4 more years).

The collectables are selling though.

Figures that I'm in a collectables buying mood at this time :-\

Edited by Wingshooter