Iver Johnson .32 S&W Break-Top Schematic anyone?

Ronald_55

Maybe foolishly, I agreed to take a Iver Johnson Breaktop .32 S&W off someones hands. I have not seen it yet, but I am told it needs a firing pin. They have the parts to already repair it. What I am looking for is info on the steps to do it and/or a schematic. I looked at Numrich and did not see one.

Maybe I am getting too brazen as to thinking I can gunsmith but I have taken about everything else apart at one point or another. This will either be a learning event in how to fix a revolver...or how to not buy broken guns. lol

The next think I will have to establish is if it is a black powder or smokeless powder model. I will have to wait to have it in-hand before I can get that info. The things I get myself into....

Thanks ahead of time guys.

11 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

Thanks

Usually I am good at finding stuff and I swear I read part of that page, but I must have skimmed and missed it or not went that far.

All I did was enter an image search for the schematic, found it and when I clicked onto it was taken to the link I sent you. What was funny was I'd searched for a similar schematic a year or so ago and found the same forum.

1 hour ago, TNWNGR said:

All I did was enter an image search for the schematic, found it and when I clicked onto it was taken to the link I sent you. What was funny was I'd searched for a similar schematic a year or so ago and found the same forum.

I think my problem was I did a general search, so I got a lot of hits on people asking for one. Anyway. Thanks. Hoping I have it soon so I can see if I can get it going.

Good luck with it. The one I have is junk, and has a double action pull of about 45 pounds.:eek:

I bought if from a guy who included 5 32 acp rounds with it. I told him that wasn;t the correct ammo, His response was that "it works".

I'll be danged if it doesn't!

Here's hoping yours is better.

Edited by gregintenn
5 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Good luck with it. The one I have is junk, and has a double action pull of about 45 pounds.:eek:

I bought if from a guy who included 5 32 acp rounds with it. I told him that wasn;t the correct ammo, His response was that "it works".

I'll be danged if it doesn't!

Here's hoping yours is better.

LOL...You've got to remember that for it's era it was a low cost and strictly functional revolver. Nothing more and nothing less. Some were clearly better then others insofar as their trigger pull and some were equally worse with respect to said trigger pull. I've got an older circa late 1920's to mid 1930's .38 S&W IJ with mismatched grips that has a really decent DA & SA trigger pull.

• Like 1

I finally got this in hand. Looks like all I have to do it put the spring, firing pin, and bushing in. Of course like I had already found out on the web, it takes some specific 2 pin tool that no one can find. I attached a rough drawing of what it looks like. It is threaded to fit into the hole. I played with it a little bit but could not get it to thread all the way in. I hope to have some more luck when I get a few minutes.

ij bushing.png

1 minute ago, Ronald_55 said:

I finally got this in hand. Looks like all I have to do it put the spring, firing pin, and bushing in. Of course like I had already found out on the web, it takes some specific 2 pin tool that no one can find. I attached a rough drawing of what it looks like. It is threaded to fit into the hole. I played with it a little bit but could not get it to thread all the way in. I hope to have some more luck when I get a few minutes.

ij bushing.png

I have a gunsmith screwdriver set that has one of those in it. The only place I've ever seen them is the nut that the crossbolt screws into on a 98 Mauser stock.

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/wheeler-89-piece-deluxe-gunsmithing-screwdriver-kit.html?_iv_code=RR-G5-562194&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=CJH03oG9ztECFdQ2gQodemALcw

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

Thanks. I actually picked up a Wheeler set, but not sure that little one has it. I will take a look to see if it matches if I have it. I will cross my fingers. Lol

Only looking I got to do is over lunch at work yesterday, so none of my tools were with me. 

13 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I have a gunsmith screwdriver set that has one of those in it. The only place I've ever seen them is the nut that the crossbolt screws into on a 98 Mauser stock.

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/wheeler-89-piece-deluxe-gunsmithing-screwdriver-kit.html?_iv_code=RR-G5-562194&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=CJH03oG9ztECFdQ2gQodemALcw

Thanks greg, my set did have that, but it was not the mauser one, that one is bigger. There are 2 like a flat head screwdriver with a u cut out of the middle. The largest one fit it. I attached a pic. Not sure if that is the large or small size.

Screenshot_2017-01-19-22-55-31-1.png

I then realized how little I knew. I could not get it to work until I had a DUHHH! moment. The firing pin...THEN the spring goes in.... I realized this when I saw this image of the internals.

iver_johnson_top_break_safety_revolvers___hlebooks_by_cungya-d8v7jiw.thumb.png.39a25400a56d72f3ebadcb84afce1f4a.png

By the way, the guy that does these is fantastic. He has a lot of models.I just stumbled across it. Here is a link.

http://cungya.deviantart.com/art/Iver-Johnson-top-break-safety-revolvers-HLebooks-536149400

So now I just have to get some .32 S&W ammo to test it out. :)

• Like 1