Do you remove your pistol from the holster each night?

Finally found a holster that's comfortable. I tried many different types from hybrid to kydex and leather. For my build I had to settle with leather IWB. Settled on a DeSantis Cozy Partner IWB.

I've been told to remove my pistol  each night and let the leather dry out. 

And others say to remove it once a week or so and a wipe down is good?

If it matters, my current carry is a S&W Shield in a DeSantis Cozy Partner. 

My question is: Do you remove your pistol from the holster each night? 

Edited by TnShooter83
  • Like 1
  • Moderators

I started out carrying in a molded leather holster. I took the firearm out about 2 to 4 times a month and wiped it down with a silicone rag.

Now I carry in a molded kydex holster. I take it out about 2-4 times a year and wipe everything down with a silicone rag. If the holster is pretty dirty I rinse it off in the sink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't store guns in leather holsters, mostly because they won't fit in my safe in the holsters.  I also tend to get sweaty and need to wipe the pistols down whenever I put them away. I store them in nylon pocket holsters to help prevent idiot marks in/out of the safe. 

• Like 2

I've started using the Undertech holster shorts from the Glockstore for my G43 :), so I do unholster every night. Times when I carry using another holster or carry another gun (G20, G19, etc.), I still unholster and clear it every night. I have another gun as a bedside gun, so my carry gun gets unholstered, cleared and put in the safe. Honestly, I just enjoy handling it and dry firing a couple times each day.

I really like the Undertech holster shorts BTW. They are by far the most comfortable and most concealed way for me to carry my small 9's.

I leave my EDC in the holster, since I got it some 10+ years ago.  At 5 years, I had a bit of sweat induced surface rust in a few worn areas. I cleaned it up, polished & buffed with Johnston's Paste Wax (yellow-can floor wax) and no problems since.    

2 minutes ago, R_Bert said:

I leave my EDC in the holster, since I got it some 10+ years ago.  At 5 years, I had a bit of sweat induced surface rust in a few worn areas. I cleaned it up, polished & buffed with Johnston's Paste Wax (yellow-can floor wax) and no problems since.    

What type holsters are you using?

What type holsters are you using?

A Leather Galco SG436B courtesy of a prominent 2A photographer buddy of mine :)

Admittedly, It does not bother me that my venerable P3AT languishes sans TLC, unlike the rest of my collection. This one is definitely a tool, but seems to hold up well.

Edited by R_Bert

My wife and I are the only people in our home along with my best bud Brodie, a large for his breed Yorkshire Terror that hears everything. My handgun is laying on my bedside stand every night holster free and keeps my flashlight and two full extra mags company. I'm too old to fight and to slow to run.....and I have no intentions to do either. 

Edited by Randall53
  • Like 8
7 hours ago, Randall53 said:

I'm too old to fight and to slow to run

LOL. Same here Randall!

I unholster several times a day. Done safely, appropriate backstop etc. It's free drawstroke practice.

I use my carry gun as my "nightstand" gun lying beside one of my Surefire's. I have my jeans on a chair at bedside with holster, spare mags, flashlight, BOK, cellphone, BUG etc. If, God forbid, there is a fire or other emergency and I need to unass the area quickly, then I'm ready.

We have 2 small yappy and territorial dogs that sleep in our bedroom. Their hearing is better than mine! ;)

• Like 7

I remove my G23 frequently, sometimes daily. The biggest problem is dust bunnies. I swap between IWB and OWB depending on the daily routine. I haven't had any corrosion issues, just dust or belly button lint or whatever you want to call it. It comes from clothes like tumble weeds. 

Dont be too complacent with your carry piece, even if it's a Glock! 

Clean it!  :hyper:

• Like 1

I feel the more times you remove a loaded gun from a holster and reholster it, the higher odds of a negligent discharge.  So for me, I just leave it in the holster.  If someone gets in the house and close enough to me that I don't have time to remove the gun from the holster with both hands, I'm screwed anyway...Just let it happen ;)

• Like 1
On 1/12/2017 at 3:12 AM, prag said:

If, God forbid, there is a fire or other emergency and I need to unass the area quickly, then I'm ready.

I have been laughing for over a minute straight at this sentence!  Haha!  So perfect! 

To the OP. My carry gun is my Shield, and it rides in a leather Bianchi model 100.  It gets taken out of the holster for the night if the holster has gotten damp with sweat throughout the day.  I shoot my carry gun every few weeks and it gets wiped down every time and cleaned as necessary.  I don't worry too much the finish of the Shield, though the regular Shield I carred for 3 years before I got this performance center model looked absolutely brand new when I sold it.  Dude who bought it didn't believe me when I told him how much use that gun saw.

• Like 2
On 1/11/2017 at 7:30 PM, Wingshooter said:

I really like the Undertech holster shorts BTW. They are by far the most comfortable and most concealed way for me to carry my small 9's.

Lots of joke possibilities here. 

I carry a 2" magnum daily. I just tell my wife it's 9. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2017 at 10:05 AM, Lumber_Jack said:

I feel the more times you remove a loaded gun from a holster and reholster it, the higher odds of a negligent discharge.  So for me, I just leave it in the holster.  If someone gets in the house and close enough to me that I don't have time to remove the gun from the holster with both hands, I'm screwed anyway...Just let it happen ;)

That does have some merit. I unhostler and clear my carry gun every night though, because I have small children in the house. Even my "bedside" gun (Remington 870) is placed on top of the dresser without one in the chamber.

I'm not so worried about my kids, they get firearm safety drilled into their heads, but they have friends over and you just never know. It's just something you have to weigh, I've opted to keep my firearms that are not in the safe without one in the pipe when they aren't on my person.