Do you remove your pistol from the holster each night?

10 hours ago, m16ty said:

That does have some merit. I unhostler and clear my carry gun every night though, because I have small children in the house. Even my "bedside" gun (Remington 870) is placed on top of the dresser without one in the chamber.

I'm not so worried about my kids, they get firearm safety drilled into their heads, but they have friends over and you just never know. It's just something you have to weigh, I've opted to keep my firearms that are not in the safe without one in the pipe when they aren't on my person.  

Do you have concern for set back if you're continually rechambering the same round?  

I dont know about your kids, but my 6 yr old has no problem cycling the action on a shotgun. His nerf guns work exactly the same way and the shotgun is much easier to cycle. 

On 2/13/2017 at 7:40 AM, peejman said:

Do you have concern for set back if you're continually rechambering the same round?  

I dont know about your kids, but my 6 yr old has no problem cycling the action on a shotgun. His nerf guns work exactly the same way and the shotgun is much easier to cycle. 

The top round in the mag rim does get chewed up by the ejector over time. I just rotate it out every so often.

As I said, I'm not so much worried about my kids, it's the friends they have around. You are right about cycling the action but it's a extra step that has to be done before the gun will fire. I could see a kid, playing with a gun, accidentally hit the safety and pull the trigger. You pretty much have to be deliberate to cycle the action, then hit the safety, and pull the trigger. It's still not 100% safe but what is? I don't really like the fact that I have to cycle the gun if needed in the middle of the night but it's a disadvantage that I think I need to take. Where I am located, it is highly unlikely that a home invasion will occur before I have time to respond. I live right in the middle of 45ac with a 1/4 mile long drive and dogs that will alert if somebody gets within a couple 100yd of the house. The couple of times I have responded, I met the people before they even made it down the drive. Both times turned out uneventful but I was at the ready.  

Edited by m16ty
  • Like 1

If it's in kydex I leave it there. In leather I remove it and wipe it down as needed. More in hot weather, etc. 

I rotate my carry ammo every 60 days. The mag in the gun gets fired, the spare goes in the gun.

It seems that setback isn't as big an issue as it was years ago but I once had quite a scare with a 45acp and non ramped barrel with very hot cor-bon ammo. The case bulged, and primer set back leaking gas into my face. I measured rounds left after that and found several that had set back. Never want that to happen again!

I tend not to clear my edc often because of this, and if I do I don't let the same round be chambered more than 3 times.

Carry weapons typically remain in holster unless getting range time or periodic cleaning.  When I am home I don't always have one on me, waist band holsters don't work so well if you're not wearing a waistband :cool: But generally if I am at home I am within rapid access of several strategically/discreetly placed weapons most of which are not in holsters.

• 7 months later...

I mostly carry in Kydex or nylon pocket holsters these days.  But back when I carried in leather, I'd take the gun out every night.  I was always nervous of the gun corroding if left in the leather, so I'd wipe the daily grime off and put it up in my safe and put the holster in a basket on top of the safe to air out.  

Even in kydex and nylon I still take it out every night and wipe it off, though with my pocket guns I put them back in the holster in the safe.

• 2 months later...