Shipping firearms from TN

pgb205

I'm a first time Smith and Wesson owner, and unfortunately will be shipping the handgun back to them for repairs. 

So far I understand the following will happen.

1. SW will give me a prepaid shipping label.

2. I package the gun

3. Bring to staffed FedEx office, not a drop off location

4. Hand off to a staff-member.

Questions that I have:

Do I need to declare what is in the package?

Do I need to include any notes in the package. My name , address, phone number for SW? Notes on what I found to be wrong with the gun?

Do I need to fill out any additional paperwork at the FedEx location?

Anything else I need to know?

thanks

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just let 'em guess what's wrong with it and guess your address if the box gets lost, eh?

Really, obviously you should tell them what's wrong with it. And sure, include your full address, phone number, email.

And with prepaid label, any FedEx office location will take it (and so will UPS Store if SW uses UPS). And though you're supposed to declare a firearm as per FedEx or UPS policy (and they'll probably take it anyway), you only have to do that under federal law in shipments going between non-licensees. If you have to pay at counter and they know it's a gun, then yeah generally have to go to hub.

Frankly, in guns with prepaid (or my own) printed prepaid labels to an FFL, I've just dropped them off without saying anything. I dropped one in a dropbox one time. UPS or FedEx can't put you in jail for not abiding by their TOS. ;)

If your own label, you just have to make sure a handgun is sent by an overnight class in case of any claim (they'll deny it otherwise), though seems the FFLs that have contracts with either of them are able to use second day air and such.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

S&W will email you a shipping label with instructions on what to do. Mine said…

“You should receive an email shortly from a “Do Not Reply” Address detailing how to return your firearm for service. Print out the label attached to the email and attach it to the outside of sturdy box. Send the firearm only and please exclude magazines or any other accessories that may have come with the firearm. Please Include a note inside the box detailing the problems you are having with your firearm and we will evaluate it once it has been processed in the repair area.”

I took mine to our local FedEx shipping center. I told the guy at the counter that the box contained a firearm. He said “Okay”, and asks if I needed a receipt. I got my receipt and left.  Not a bit of drama like the last time I tried to do that at UPS.