Why 1911?

Smith

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scmootika has a RIA 1911 and I try to sneak it from her every chance I get. When we go to the range I try to get my Beretta in her hands so I can play with the Rock Island.

Never had a jam or a FTF. Only problem it's had is when some idiot..:) bump-fired it and broke the sear spring.

Guest bkelm18
I took it out of the rug,and just held it,and a single tear rolled down my cheek because of its awesomeness.

gay.gif

:)

A 1911 really is a shexy firearm. Enough said.

Guest TnDeerHunter

A 1911 is a 1911 you love or hate them. As far as the xd I'm not positive but I think the grip angle is about the same as the 1911. The bobtail 1911 is easier to conseal than the standard as far as reliability I've never had a problem with any of mine. I have found some like different ammo. As far as cost, reloading is a great way to work up different loads and see what it digests best. I have several 1911's and are priced from reasonable to all out customs bottom line they all shoot good just some better than others.

I carry a LW commander sized 1911 becuase it is slimmer and therefore easier to conceal then my HK and the weight difference is nominal. I also love the trigger on the 1911 and find the gun to be more accurate than me. However, I don't think that the 1911 is for everyone, it does require a little longer break in period and sometime will require a few tweaks to get running just right.

Why 1911? Why Not!

There are many reasons why I like the thing. Most are intangible and hard to describe. I do not carry one, but:

- I love shooting it. You know you've got a GUN in your hand.

- Steel and wood. There ain't nothing better.

- I can feel the slide and action working when I pull that trigger.

- It pushes back, doesn't snap.

- Close to 100 years of battle proven design, none other has that!

- It was not designed on a computer!

- Good ones rattle after awhile. It feels like a contraption and that make it fun to shoot for me.

- The grip angle, barrrel length and mechanism are perfect.

- Ever looked at the business end of one? That's a big bore!

I just like 'em. Never really tried to compare the 1911 to anything else. FInd it hard to do. Everything has it's place and JMB's masterpiece seems to endure past everthing else.

Why 1911? Why Not!

- Ever looked at the business end of one? That's a big bore!

I just like 'em. Never really tried to compare the 1911 to anything else. FInd it hard to do. Everything has it's place and JMB's masterpiece seems to endure past everthing else.

My Dad say's it looks like you are staring down a railroad tunnel.

I love my beat up old SA. It has fired many thousands of rounds. Hardly had an issue. My wife and I were at the range a while back. She was trying to master my G19. We agreed that she was having issues with trigger control. I asked her to try my 1911. She didn't want too, to heavy, too much recoil. Mind you I can't remember her ever shooting it, but choose your battles carefully. At any rate after a while she relented and tried the 1911. To her amazement she was consistently cutting holes in the 10 ring. Now she loves it, raves about the trigger. JMB knew what he was doing.

Guest Clutch442

I believe people like them for the same reasons they like Harleys. It's the guy nature of wanting to tinker with stuff. There are a billion different accesories you can change and always something you can improve on one. I have had 3 1911s two really nice Kimbers and a Springfield. I own none of these anymore. I don't like them. I think you could also look at the AR-15 same issues but it's what you can get and tinker with. Just my .02 .

Guest Topgun121

I just got my first 1911 Kimber. I own Kahr, Glock, CZ and have shot many others. I can say with certainty that none of the other handguns that I have shot, equal the 1911 in smooth trigger and smooth action. It was a joy to shoot, even in the .45 caliber.

Guest HexHead
One 1911 design I have never had the chance to try is the Para-Ordnance with the light double action set up. I'm sure there is something "too good to be true" about them. One of my biggest contentions with the 1911 is the hammer/single action. It's not for me.

Anyone have a Para LDA? Are they worth their salt or junk?

The LDA trigger is sublime. :D

Seriously, if you aren't comfortable with Condition 1 carry, the LDA makes the 1911 a viable option. For a DAO pistol, the trigger is incredibly light and smooth. More so than any other DA trigger I've tried. No, it's not as crisp as a standard 1911 trigger, but what else is. :)

I bought this Para PDA for my wife and put about 450 rounds through it breaking it in, and it's one enjoyable little pistol to shoot.

DSC_0021-2.jpg

To be honest, I hope I like my Colt New Agent as much. I was very tempted to get a Carry 45, but I've always wanted a Colt. ;)

Edited by HexHead
kind of like how leo fender got so much right on the first try w/ the telecaster

Actually, it was the single pickup Broadcaster. The two pickup Tele followed quickly.

A friend of mine in a gospel music group picked up an old Broadcaster from a guy at a church 20+ years ago for $300. Fender always put the date of manufacture on the base of the neck. When the neck was taken off for some repair work at a shop, the neck said P.A.F. No date. He sold it for $250,000.