.22 LR 100 Yard Squirrel Sniper Challenge

quickbiscuit

I thought about that, but that would kind of be cheating because you don't have the 40 extra yards of wind to account for...   I'll probably just do the regular target at 60 yards as practice and then do the real challenge at the range.....   Either that or I can shoot from my neighbors yard all the way across mine, we'll see

1 hour ago, MrBrian said:

I thought about that, but that would kind of be cheating because you don't have the 40 extra yards of wind to account for...   I'll probably just do the regular target at 60 yards as practice and then do the real challenge at the range.....   Either that or I can shoot from my neighbors yard all the way across mine, we'll see

It's a fairly common thing to downsize targets based on available range. It's highly unlikely anyone will pull this off in wind of any consequence.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, peejman said:

It's a fairly common thing to downsize targets based on available range. It's highly unlikely anyone will pull this off in wind of any consequence.  

Minimag, 5mph crosswind (3 0'clock). 100 yards isn't that far when it comes to wind, especially if it's constant.

minimag wind.JPG

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, peejman said:

Geometry would say it's exactly the same.  Assuming no appreciable wind, the difference between 60 yds and 100 yds is purely mental. 

MOA is MOA. And, the wind is not going to be the same among contestants. The hard part is shooting 1 MOA with a 22. I'm sure Hozzie's guns will do it easily.

• Like 2

All fun but as a lifelong Tree Rat Hunter this target would not do.  I grew up hunting them a couple times a week with buddies older than me and they

had a rule,head shots only because it sucks to skin them otherwise and ruins a lot of meat. I once shot on in the head and it exited into the shoulder.

buddy blew a fuse when we went up to the well where we cleaned them. He said if you can't do better than that don't ask me to help skin them. The

limit was six and most were taken under 25 yards. We found certain parts of the woods had the large red Fox versions and they would keep the

smaller Grey's out of their area.  My Dad who took me as a little kid but had not been out in the woods in fifteen years seen six of them soaking in

in saltwater in my fridge and said wow all head shots,lets go in the morning.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Will said:

All fun but as a lifelong Tree Rat Hunter this target would not do.  I grew up hunting them a couple times a week with buddies older than me and they

had a rule,head shots only because it sucks to skin them otherwise and ruins a lot of meat. I once shot on in the head and it exited into the shoulder.

buddy blew a fuse when we went up to the well where we cleaned them. He said if you can't do better than that don't ask me to help skin them. The

limit was six and most were taken under 25 yards. We found certain parts of the woods had the large red Fox versions and they would keep the

smaller Grey's out of their area.  My Dad who took me as a little kid but had not been out in the woods in fifteen years seen six of them soaking in

in saltwater in my fridge and said wow all head shots,lets go in the morning.

I hunted squirrels all through my early to late teens. Ate a lot of fried squirrel and squirrel stew, dumplings too. Squirrel meat is really very good and I like it a lot, but they are so hard to clean. I've thought about going after them again since they are so numerous in the woods on my hunting lease, but the cleaning part keep is why I haven't.

28 minutes ago, Randall53 said:

I hunted squirrels all through my early to late teens. Ate a lot of fried squirrel and squirrel stew, dumplings too. Squirrel meat is really very good and I like it a lot, but they are so hard to clean. I've thought about going after them again since they are so numerous in the woods on my hunting lease, but the cleaning part keep is why I haven't.

Check out this method.  

• Like 1

I should have looked at youtube already LOL.....I may just take a cooler with some ice next trip out and get me 4 or 5. That sure looks easy. I could clean them at the truck and head back home with a cooler full of squirrel.  Thanks for the videos.

Yes thanks for the vid,I had an ex brother in law that used this method when I was a kid and never seen him again to show me this method. It sure would have saved a lot of trouble with two of us cutting the middle of the back an having a pulling contest not to mention the no hair sticks on yje

meat. life is much easier with Utube.

Speaking of squirrels....  If there's any squirrel hunters in the greater Knoxville area who do head shots and don't want the meat (or would be willing to donate a couple), I'll take them. They make great hawk food. :) 

Edited by peejman
15 hours ago, mikegideon said:

MOA is MOA. And, the wind is not going to be the same among contestants. The hard part is shooting 1 MOA with a 22. I'm sure Hozzie's guns will do it easily.

Yeah, I don't think it's really that fair for me to use by competition guns on this.  That being said, on a windy day without wind flags, I don't care what you are shooting, unless the wind is 100% consistent (which it never is), no one is getting 8/10 hits at 100 yards. 

If I get time I might try to get my little Savage I use for tactical matches out and give it a try.

Edited by Hozzie
2 hours ago, leroy said:

I looked at the target... I say that's pretty good shootin at 100 yards... I never knew any squirrel hunter that bagged tree rodents at 100 yds in this part of the country...

leroy

I had them climbing trees within 5 yards of me during deer season. Both in a tree stand and my ground hunting chair!!  

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Randall53 said:

I had them climbing trees within 5 yards of me during deer season. Both in a tree stand and my ground hunting chair!!  

I've seen 'em do that too Randall...

They are interestin and curious little beasties... I like 'em... Cant hardly bring myself to shoot one anymore... Always busy....

leroy

5 hours ago, Randall53 said:

I had one climb the tree I was in this past season. I was in a Summit Viper climber, and he climbed the backside of the tree right past me! I won't lie, it made me a little nervous, and I was ready to fight, lol. He climbed all the way up into the branches above me and made all kinds on commotion. I don't think he knew I was there until he climbed past me, but then I'm pretty sure he cussed me out.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Wingshooter said:

I'm pretty sure he cussed me out.

:lol::lol::lol: YEP....they do a LOT of cuss'n!!!! I do really love to watch them though. I'm a lot like Dave. I've eaten a lot of squirrel in my days....but at my age I don't know if I could shoot me a mess o' squirrel or not. They are delicious though if cooked right.

• Like 1