.22 LR 100 Yard Squirrel Sniper Challenge

quickbiscuit

So, I just printed off a 50% scale for me to practice with at 50 yards, and holy crap!   the target is smaller than a quarter at 50 yards.....  this will not be easy, but I guess that's why it's called a challenge

I just checked, and it's smaller than a nickel at 50 yards

Edited by MrBrian

I gave this a try today but was not successful in hitting 8 straight bullseyes. I got 6 one time then a flyer and got 5 several times then a flyer. I was shooting at 100 yards with my CZ 455 Varmint Evolution. I bought this gun from a person on here about 3 years ago, but I can't remember who it was. I have a Mueller 4 - 16 x 50 scope on it. I was using CCI SV 40 grain ammo and a Lead Sled. It was a bit breezy in the calm to 4 MPH range and changed direction about every 30 seconds it seemed! I tried to pick times when it was calmish, but that's the best I could do. I'd forgotten it was 8 out of 10 thinking it had to be 8 out of 8, I just read the rules again, or I would have kept shooting after the one flyer. I guess I'll try again on a calmer day. I also have to work on the trigger on this rifle. It's stock and probably around 3 to 3.5 lbs. I want it down to about 1.5 or so since this is my bench rest only rifle. I guess I'll do that during the next 5 rainy days and give it another try next week after the trigger adjustment. I did manage a few 3 shot groups inside a dime size circle in a target I made a while back, but that was at 50 yards and during calm spells. 

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

Doing the math this requires sub .774 MOA for 8 out of 10 shots.  Did I calculate this correctly?

No, if his measurement in the first post is correct, the overall bullseye is ~1.625 inches.  So it would simply be 1.625 MOA at 100 yards.  It's actually a bit more than that since you only have to break the bullseye, not be completely in.

The hard part is no sighters once you start so unless you have wind flags up, a slight wind can push you out of that quite easily.  

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

No, if his measurement in the first post is correct, the overall bullseye is 1.625 inches.  So it would simply be 1.625 MOA at 100 yards.  It actually a bit more than that since you only have to break the bullseye, not be completely in.

Not even a challenge for your $8000 pop gun :) 

Just now, mikegideon said:

Not even a challenge for your $8000 pop gun :) 

Come on now, it isn't quite that much...:whistle:  Even then, with no wind flags, it may not be a given.  Wind is what separates the men from the boys in our game.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

No, if his measurement in the first post is correct, the overall bullseye is ~1.625 inches.  So it would simply be 1.625 MOA at 100 yards.  It actually a bit more than that since you only have to break the bullseye, not be completely in.

The hard part is no sighters once you start so unless you have wind flags up, a slight wind can push you out of that quite easily.  

Okay I'm with you, I was making the calculations way more difficult and missing the obvious.  Sleep deprivation will do that.  I agree as no sighters would make this a rarely achieved challenge at least on the first attempt.

2 hours ago, Hozzie said:

Come shoot with us.  Mike who runs the matches is a great guy.  You may know him.

Thank you for the invitation but I've seen what ya'll can do. :bow:  I just don't have anything anything close right now. If I can find the right ammo, one that my rifle really likes, and trigger set-up I may give it a try. I need to shrink my groups by about half to even enjoy losing to ya'll....hahaha :up:

Where are your matches located?  

1 hour ago, Randall53 said:

Where are your matches located?  

I shoot all over the Southeast, but I run the local ARA matches at Strategic Edge in Chapel Hill.  I shoot at Chattanooga Rifle Club and quite a few other places within a 4 hour drive of Nashville. 

I have a couple of extra competition guns if you ever want to give it a try.  All I ask is that you pay for the ammo as it isn't cheap.

• Like 2

The guys I used to shoot "custom" 1022s with generally look at shooting off the bench:  25yrds has to be 1/4" or smaller, 50yrds 1/2", 100 yrds 1" and 200 yards 2". I am blind and cheap (no good spotting scope) so went shooting 2" saltine crackers 200 yrds.  We now call them "cracker guns" if we can put one together we can shoot relatively fast and bust successive saltines at 185-200yrds.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Hozzie said:

I shoot all over the Southeast, but I run the local ARA matches at Strategic Edge in Chapel Hill.  I shoot at Chattanooga Rifle Club and quite a few other places within a 4 hour drive of Nashville. 

I have a couple of extra competition guns if you ever want to give it a try.  All I ask is that you pay for the ammo as it isn't cheap.

Thank you Hozzie. I'd like to do that. Do you use the Eley Match?

• 3 weeks later...

I was following this thread.  A group of us here have printed the target and will be trying the challenge. 

Then, I started off into the "how to clean a squirrel".  So I want to ask you seasoned squirrel hunters.  I heard in one video that I saw, a guy said it was best if you leave the squirrel meat in the fridge for 3-4 days after cleaning it.  He said it would take the game taste out if you let it sit in the fridge for a few days.  Comments on this?  

I see recipes where the squirrel is fried for a bit first, then stewed in a gravy for an hour or so.  This looks really good!  I'm going to try it.

6 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

It can't account for the accuracy of the gun.

Sure it can as once its fed info (unless the gun is just junk). It won’t however be able to account for the accuracy of the shooter which I am sure is the biggest variable. That will be Gen 2 that can pull the trigger.

1 hour ago, MemHeli said:

Then, I started off into the "how to clean a squirrel".  So I want to ask you seasoned squirrel hunters.  I heard in one video that I saw, a guy said it was best if you leave the squirrel meat in the fridge for 3-4 days after cleaning it.  He said it would take the game taste out if you let it sit in the fridge for a few days.  Comments on this?  

I see recipes where the squirrel is fried for a bit first, then stewed in a gravy for an hour or so.  This looks really good!  I'm going to try it.

Yes.  That will help.  Basically you are just dry aging it.  Put it on a  wire rack over a baking sheet and let it sit for several days in the fridge.  The capillary blood will drain out of the meat removing some of the gaminess flavor. If you do not have room in the fridge you can also accomplish the same thing by throwing them in a cooler with salted ice water for a day or two.

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

Sure it can as once its fed info (unless the gun is just junk). It won’t however be able to account for the accuracy of the shooter which I am sure is the biggest variable. That will be Gen 2 that can pull the trigger.

If the gun has 1 MOA accuracy, that is random innacuracy that can't be predicted. Same with 1/2 MOA or 3MOA. If you need 1/2, a 2  won't cut it even if the point of aim is dead nuts every time