The forgotten Single Stack 9mm; Sig 290rs

Parrothead

Off the bat, I'm NOT posting this as a "gun reviewer/blogger". If you spend the time to read this, that will become obvious. I just had a hard time finding any info on the Sig 290rs when I was considering this purchase. My intent here is to share some basic thoughts and information in case someone else might be considering this as a carry gun.

Last month, I started looking for a single stack 9mm. I started out with the normal players in this field; Shield, XDS, LC9, Glock  and CM9. All good, solid guns but I wasn't totally satisfied. I really wanted something smaller. I wanted to be able to pocket the gun as a absolute last resort but I still wanted something I could shoot 200 rounds at a time without any discomfort. This lead me to the Sig 290rs.

I was able to find one of these "used" locally and decided to give it a try. This "used" gun had been fired appropriately ten times. So, i treated it as a new gun and cleaned it up good before my first trip out. On the initial range trip, I had a few issues. The gun was VERY tight as was the magazine. Nearing the end of my range session, I realized I wasn't properly seating the top round in the magazine. You almost have to make a concentrated effort to push the round all the way back. Hard to describe but the failures seemed to stop. I would chalk this to user error, new mag springs and a 10 degree outdoor temperature. So, 100 rounds in, 4-5 failures. Not sold at this point.

Trip two; 55 degrees. 250 rounds and no failures what so ever. The gun ran much smother. I finally figured out the trigger and started getting pretty decent groups. The best trigger comparison I can make would be that of a Smith 642. Long but predictable. This is the only real negative I have on the gun now. It's a steep learning curve but worth it. Factory SIG night sights are a real selling point in this segment. One thing to note, this gun is heavy! I feel like it weighs almost the same as my FNS9c which is my primary carry. Although this maybe a negative for some, I like the extra heft. It allows for a really soft shooting 9mm. Capacity is 6+1 which I think is adequate for the scope of use. The gun ships with a extended magazine which I am yet to takeout of the box; It defeats my purpose for the gun. The factory grips are very aggressive or my hands are overly sensitive. Talon grips solved this problem. I would recommend spending $15 on the grips to save you skin and shirts. 

I've posted some pictures below. Comparison is with a FNS9c. The FNS9c fits right in between a Glock 19 and a Glock 26. Barrel length of the G19 with a handle slightly larger than a G26. I think the size of this gun was a good match for me The gun shoots much better than I do so I omitted the target pictures. After a disappointing first run, it appears the SIG has redeemed itself and I've found my new summer/deep concealment carry gun.

290rs3.JPG

290rs2.JPG

290rs.JPG

Edited by Parrothead
  • Like 3

I've always liked the 290rs.  They aren't terrible common, and I've never had the chance to shoot one but have liked the operation of the ones I held.  The only thing that has kept me from buying one is the somewhat (for me) odd grip angle and feel.

I went Shield and am happy, but the 290 is kinda on the back burner... one of those "if I stumble across a great deal and have all the other stuff I want" types of possible purchases.  Thanks for the review and pics!

Thanks for posting this.  I had no idea I needed one till today around 5 pm.  Now I have read nearly every article that exists and am pretty sure I do.  The only deciding factor will be to see if it fits in my pocket.  That is my differentiating factor for a pocket pistol--it has to fit in MY pocket.  If it does not fit in my pocket, then I would have to holster it on my belt.  If I have to holster it on my belt, I have no need for a TINY weapon.  So that has become my litmus test.  Do I like the weapon, configuration, and caliber?  If so does it fit in my pocket?  Many times the answer is no to one of those 2 questions.  So far I am still carrying a Sig p238 daily.  I also have a Diamondback .380 which I want to like better, but it has the tiny little drawback of not going bang every time I pull the trigger (which is also a disqualifier.)  I keep meaning to mail it back but have not gotten around to it.  I have an SCCY that i have not fired yet (was a gift).  Anticipating NOT liking, it but occasionally get surprised.  Had a Kel Tec .32 (before the .380 revolution0 that i was very partial to that was stolen out of my car (still not sure wHere the security breakdown was there.  Thinking I must have left door unlocked, but not totally sure).  Had a Ruger LCP that I hated.  May give the new version 2 another shot  Would go back to the Diamondback if it were more reliable, so that NEEDS to be my next move, mail it back.  But the Sig p290 RS is now singing to me....... 

I bought a 290 at auction (note: not the RS model). Light strikes had me sending it back to Sig. You can read up on why they came out with the RS version that addresses the problem.

Long story short, Sig has outstanding customer service. They upgraded the entire trigger mechanism to the RS and replaced a dead night sight. Problem solved and it's really a decent little shooter at least out to 10 or 12 yards at least (never shot further out than 12 yards).

It fit my pockets pretty well. It always went bang when I pulled the trigger after the fix. I thought enough of it to trade it to my dad who really did not like the S&W Bodyguard 380 that he had been carrying. I wouldn't want my 75 year old dad to not have a reliable weapon to carry.

• Like 2

@MacGyver--I believe it is just a matter of practice.  I always say  that EVERY pistol is a trade off of size, caliber, weight, capacity but ALSO carry style and draw are clearly on the list.  The ability to carry in the pocket is a huge positive but the trade offs DO include size, caliber, weight, capacity AND of course draw.  I just practice a tiny bit every day.  Fortunately I have never had to draw under duress but I am pretty sure (pretty sure being the key word) that I could.  I insert my hand in my pocket and kind of loosen my Sig p238 from its pocket holster (Desantis Superfly) and draw with finger off the trigger and thumb riding the safety.  For me the key is to take the final grip before I begin to draw it, which is also part of what I meant when I said "fit in MY pocket".  I think I have it down but the part that makes me uneasy (hence my presence on this particular thread) is the safety.  I am not a "1911 Guy" and my Sig 238 is the only pistol that I carry (ever) that has one.  That said I have carried it since around 2009 and practiced drawing it and presenting it roughly every day so hopefully I about have it down.  I still have that little "tug" in the back of my brain that it is not "perfect" for me, hence the list of others that I have tried to carry and again the reason I am on this thread.  I had a P290 rs in my basked on Gunbroker last night about midnight, but since I have never even seen or held one, I was able to talk myself out of buying one sight unseen (rare moment of using some sense from me and controlling an impulse buy on a weapon.  I am BAD about it).

Every customer I've put one in the hand of likes it, until they dry fire it. No one likes the trigger. It's ridiculously long, and they always want to see something else. Even my SIG ho's that come in don't like it.

To each their own.

I agree the trigger is an acquired taste. Its not a striker fired gun and the trigger reflects that. I really think it feels much more like a revolver than a bottom feeder. I can see many passing on the gun because of this. But, as you said, everyone has different tastes. It took a couple hundred rounds but i'm fine with it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

Every customer I've put one in the hand of likes it, until they dry fire it. No one likes the trigger. It's ridiculously long, and they always want to see something else. Even my SIG ho's that come in don't like it.

To each their own.

So you have one there now? Next time I'm around I'll look. All these comments sure have me curious. If for nothing more that just to see what it's like.

8 hours ago, hipower said:

So you have one there now? Next time I'm around I'll look. All these comments sure have me curious. If for nothing more that just to see what it's like.

No, not right now. Took so long to sell, might be a while before we have another.

On January 15, 2017 at 7:20 PM, NextExit said:

Well I can see I'll be making a trip to Bud's in the near future :whistle:  (if they have it) I've already talked myself out of a SCCY (too light & looked cheap) so maybe I can talk myself out of this if I don't like the grip. 

I have had a couple of SCCY pistols in tbe past .. They both went on trades ... Not because I didnt like them ... They just where traded ...

They are inexpensive fully functional pistols 10+1 in a small light package ...

1 hour ago, TN357mag said:

I have had a couple of SCCY pistols in tbe past .. They both went on trades ... Not because I didnt like them ... They just where traded ...

They are inexpensive fully functional pistols 10+1 in a small light package ...

The "better" Kel-Tec P11.

Not a fan of this gun honestly. Too heavy and too wide for me to pocket carry. Honestly, from a dimension standpoint most of the similar pistols in this category are a better choice. 

I'm sure it's a nice gun but I think there is a reason it's been "forgotten".

YMMV.