A good pen, practical and tactical

I usually try to carry a good pen, over 30 years, I've probably been through 10ish pens. Most were sub $50 price points; purchases were to replace a loss or saw a cooler pen. In sales, they suggest you have a step up pen for a variety of reasons.

A metal barrelled pen can be repurposed in a pinch; emergency ice pick in case you're sliding off the roof of an icy train, disassemble and use to blow a stream of air into a fledgling fire? A metal tube is more useful than a piece of plastic.

Then I discovered tactical pens. Can I find one, is appropriate for business and be way under the radar?

This one is from Boker, barrel is micarta, tip is aluminum coated with titanium. I really liked the look and is airport friendly, The clicking action is satisfying. Not shown is the clip which does not disappoint. They didn't cheap out and it is what I would expect on a quality knife. 

I opted to try a Fisher space refill, I like it and the price was in line with branded refills for Parker, Cross. It's a medium tip as opposed to a fine tip.

Fighting with a pen. Yep, thought about it. Yikes. In a life or death situation, that close, no other weapon, I got to jab this thing into the BG. It's got a pointy-end, but sharp it ain't.

IMG_20170115_193705044.jpg

Yes it's great. I've seen Bill at craft shows for quite a while, and have gotten some of his pens for myself and for gifts. He does really nice work.

This one is a new one on me though. I really like it.

I have a birthday coming up. Maybe one of you would buy it for me? lol

6 hours ago, cmsmith712001 said:

I received a Rick Hinderer Extreme Duty Brass Pen for Christmas.  Very solid construction and it feels good in the hand.

IMG_1377.JPG

I have the Hinderer stainless Investigator, which is almost too small. It will still easily put a hole in someone's skull. If I had it to do over, I would probably go for the Extreme Duty

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 6:39 AM, MacGyver said:

Zebra F-701 for decades here.  All stainless. Unlikely to get taken by a overzealous TSA agent.  And, it'll only set you back $5 if you lose it. 

701spacepen.jpg

Zebra will break under tactical load - body of the pen snaps into the knurled finger grip - I've got the pieces to prove it.

Doesn't fare too well in the washing machine, either...

1 hour ago, ttocswob said:

Zebra will break under tactical load - body of the pen snaps into the knurled finger grip - I've got the pieces to prove it.

Doesn't fare too well in the washing machine, either...

Best I can tell, you can go thru just about anything with the Hinderer pens without breaking them. Car windows no problem