What's your opinion of W231

I've used W 231 for a very long time. It's a very fine powder and meters extremely well.

I've loaded 10's of thousands of rounds of 45 acp with it, as well as 9mm and .38 spl. 

I've even blown up a Glock 21 with it because I screwed up and double charged a case. 11.4 grains will tear up a darn Glock!! But Glock replaced it, even knowing that it was my fault... (late 1990's).

fwiw that was my only double charge and I load at least 10k of handgun rounds each year. Pay attention folks! ;)

As I mentioned, it a very fine powder and it doesn't take much powder in a case to reach max load data. As long as you don't get distracted, as I did, and pay attention, as I didn't, it's a great and economical powder.

Edited by prag
  • Like 3

I use 231 more than any other pistol powder.  I think it is the best all around pistol powder out there.  It has a wide useable range for 45 Auto and a good burn rate for 9mm.  I also use it for 38 Super plinking loads and 38 special.  Works for 45 Colt too but it's a bit more position sensitive than I like.

Remember Hodgdon HP38 and 231 are the same powder.

• Like 1

Raoul...

As others have said, WW 213 is a very good powder... We have used it for years for 38 special, 357 mid range, 44 special, 44 mag mid range, 45 colt, and lots of other cartridges we shoot in our revolvers in the 800 to 900 fps range... (..which is most of em for us...)... I got turned on to 231 looking for a powder similar to unique; and 231 is pretty much it.. i wouldn't turn around for the difference between unique and 231... We use 'em both interchangeably (...with about 0.5 grain adjustment lower for 231.... Our 44 special load for unique is 7.5 grains... The 231 load would be 7.0...)... I'm a big fan of a heavy roll crimp on any revolver load... It will make all the powders burn clean...

Hope this helps...

leroy... PS... For 45ACP... Nothin beats Tigegroup...

• Like 2

I have been using hp38/231 since I started reloading about 9+ years ago and still use it for some things, but not as much as I used to.  I've found other powders for mid to top end loads in all handgun calibers, but I LOVE it in my super light plinking 38 and 44 caliber loads.  I don't use it in any semi autos any more, though I have in the past.

It's pretty much the only powder I use for my target loads with 148gr hbwcs in 38.  For new shooters, I have a great load using something like 6 or 7 grains under a 200 gr lead slug in 44 mag.  It's such a crazy soft shooter!  It really demonstrates how versatile a revolver can be, and it's fun to put 3 of those with 3 max loads of 2400 or 296/h110 in a cylinder and let someone loose! 

• Like 1

I've had good results with W231, but that doesn't stop me from trying other brands.  Accurate #2 gives just as satisfactory results, as well as Titegroup.  Right now I'm doing my 9mm and .380 shooting with Red Dot, which seems to burn a bit cleaner.

• Like 1

I used it a lot with 9mm .38 and 45 acp when I was still loading on a single stage press and a RCBS Chargemaster scale.   When I got my Dillon 650 I had a really hard time getting it to throw the exact same charge consistently.    If I were throwing w321 at 4.0 I would get 4.1 4.0 3.9 3.8 4.1 4.2 and that just drove me nuts.   I switched over to #2 for 9mm and 45 and if I throw 4.0 I get 4.0 4.0 4.0 4.0 4.0 4.0 4.0 4.0.  

• Like 1

1) It is the same as HP38, but usually costs more

2) It is the most accurate powder I have found for .45 Auto, with Bullseye, Red Dot, and AA2 being close.

3) It works fine in all handgun cartridges, but obviously won't give the same performance as 2400 and 296/H110 in magnums.

I started reloading 40 years ago, and for most of that time, I used W231 and Unique for both .45 and 9mm with good results.  During the recent powder shortage, I tried a lot of "new to me" powders, and now use VV N320 for the 9mm stuff, but I still try to keep some W231 on hand for .45.

Bob

• Like 1

Five grains of Winchester 231/HP-38/Ramshot Zip under a 200 gr. .45 SWC makes a mighty accurate and soft recoil target load.  It meters better than RD/Unique and shoots a lot cleaner.

I could see Hodgen discontinuing all winchester powders(they have owned Winchester powders for a long time) and just going with their own brands.