Savages & why I love 'em!

Handsome Rob

So, I was in the market for a cheap coyote gun when this used Axis popped up. Crappy rattle-can stock, stock trigger (30lb of grit...) & factory Bushnell.

Mind you, it was $200 so I'm not complaining & it came with 400 round of 50gn hollowpoints.

Picked it up this morning & immediately decided it was too long &, well....normal.

12 o'clock & I get a 1hr lunch break so I figured "*%#$ it".

Pulled the stock, removed the mounts & scope, whipped off the barrel, ran to a friend with a lathe, used said lathe to chop it to 16¼", turned a nice 11° crown, ran home, removed the trigger, replaced the stock spring, installed an over travel screw, polished the trigger & sear (3lb pull, zero overtravel. Didn't have time to fix the pre-travel. I'll live with it!), reinstalled it, screwed on the barrel, headspaced it, tightened everything up, scope on, stock on, loaded the mag & zeroed the thing (1½" high at 100yds, ¾"group) & STILL had time for a cheese sammich! :cheers:

Do THAT with your Remchester!

20170116_204817_zpsqr1w7ifl.jpg

• Like 14
7 minutes ago, robtattoo said:

This is number 5 in my safe. I 'think' number 13 total in the last few years.
Don't they have, like, meetings for things like this?

Sent from a mountain somewhere, using telepathy.

Probably, but I think guys like us are too far gone to be helped. lol

• Like 2

Count me in on the meetings, got 4 right now and an eye out for #5. Now I've not smithed on any of mine, but that's because they don't need it. All 4 were around half inch from the start. First 3 shots from my 10PC were basically touching at 100yd. I'm honestly afraid to buy anything other than Savage... don't want to be disappointed. Next on my list is to find one on the cheap to "play" with. Other than that, a weather warrior in .243 would fill a gap I perceive to have in my lineup. I've steered away from the axis, but I see a lot of good feedback on them.

• Like 1

Don't be scared of the Axis, please! Yes, the trigger sucks. Like, out loud. But, it can be made awesome in less than 5 minutes at a cost of 'maybe? 10 cents. The stock isn't as bad as you'd think.....ish.

Sent from a mountain somewhere, using telepathy.

I'd really like to find a really good deal on a model 11/111 pre-accutrigger (or post if the price is right) and then order a Criterion and Boyds tactical. Rob, I might have to work out something with you or get instruction on trigger work if I find a pre-accutrigger. Not sure on caliber... 6mm 8 twist or 6.5mm variant maybe? First things first, I need a donor rifle.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, TN Song Dog said:

I'd really like to find a really good deal on a model 11/111 pre-accutrigger (or post if the price is right) and then order a Criterion and Boyds tactical. Rob, I might have to work out something with you or get instruction on trigger work if I find a pre-accutrigger. Not sure on caliber... 6mm 8 twist or 6.5mm variant maybe? First things first, I need a donor rifle.

What are you wanting it for?

If you're looking for a long range target rig keep an eye on GOC for any long action 110, 111 etc. You can add a single shot follower to the mag & reliably single feed any long or short cartridge. A donor gun in .30-06 is favorite, just because it has the most versatile bolt-head size, but even that can be switched out in a couple of minutes.

Gimme a heads up if & when you get fixed up & I'll happily help with the trigger. Also, I have details of a really, REALLY good barrel guy for around 50% the cost of a Criterion.

Not sure if I want to build a target rifle or a sporter weight multi use rig. I'm in no rush to start it, but mostly interested in putting together a rifle myself and on the cheap that will make my buddies jealous of how good it shoots! Thanks for offers on barrel and trigger. I'll definately reach out when I get going, and good call on GOC and long action.

• Like 1

Another reason to avoid the odler guns if you build is any parts you swap, like the bolt head, may not fit. I built a flat back a few years back and I spent a lot of time machining the new parts to fit the older gun. The firing pin would not fit the channel in the bolt head. Several other parts also needed work to fit. If you have an older Savage and want to swap bolt heads it probably will not be a drop in.

Another reason to avoid the odler guns if you build is any parts you swap, like the bolt head, may not fit. I built a flat back a few years back and I spent a lot of time machining the new parts to fit the older gun. The firing pin would not fit the channel in the bolt head. Several other parts also needed work to fit. If you have an older Savage and want to swap bolt heads it probably will not be a drop in.

Thanks Dolo!
  • 2 years later...

Reviving an older thread, but I gotta give a shout out for another fine shooting savage. I aquired a model 10 .308 with sporter barrel and flimsy stock. Not expecting much, I tighted up the action screws and went to the range. 168gr hornady ammo produced clover leafs. I still haven't found one that I'm willing to disassemble and tinker with because they just shoot so good...

• Like 1