Single Stack 9's

TN357mag

Seems like these small pocket sized pistols have been very popular as of late ... And seem to be a must in a carry rotation...

This article has been floating around for awhile .. But for someone looking to purchase a small 9mm it would be worth a look ..

Myself .. I picked a Taurus PT709 Slim before watching this .. 

And Im happy with my choice !!

http://www.gunsandammo.com/handguns/compacts/single-stack-9mm-shootout/

• Like 1

Single stack 9's are the sweet spot of IWB cc for me. I started with a PF9 several years ago. I still like it and have it, but now I carry a G43 most of the time. Occasionally I'll carry the G19 if it's convenient and I want more capacity than the G43.

Edited by Wingshooter

Impressive the Taurus held up to the test and the cheapest of the bunch.  Never owned a Taurus because of all the negativity I've heard about them but may have to reconsider.  I had that KelTec and got rid of it within a month.... couldn't get used to the trigger pull. 

I won't tell you how many Taurus pistols I have owned, and still own. I'll just say that with one exception, I've never had a problem with one.

I bought one of the first 4", 22 magnum revolvers Taurus put out about 8 years ago. The model 94, I believe. I had cyclinder issues with it, and couldn't put a grouping under a foot together at 10 yards. Took it back to the seller, one of our advertisers, and they gave me a full refund on it.

Waited six months and ran across a used one, bought it and have had no problems with it.

I owned a PF9 long enough to put a mag thru it and sold it. Nothing wrong, I just thought it had way to harsh a recoil. Yeah, I'm a wimp.

Not the brand name I go for first, but not afraid to buy one. The last one I bought was for my father-in-law; a Model 85 38 special. For reasons I won't go into, I have it now. It's a nice little pistol. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, NextExit said:

Impressive the Taurus held up to the test and the cheapest of the bunch.  Never owned a Taurus because of all the negativity I've heard about them but may have to reconsider.  I had that KelTec and got rid of it within a month.... couldn't get used to the trigger pull. 

I own 5 Taurus semiauto pistols and 2 revolvers. .. No problems 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, TN357mag said:

I own 5 Taurus semiauto pistols and 2 revolvers. .. No problems 

Good to know :up:  Like I said, just word of mouth, no first hand experience.  Is it true they have a lifetime warranty even if you're not the original owner? 

5 minutes ago, NextExit said:

Good to know :up:  Like I said, just word of mouth, no first hand experience.  Is it true they have a lifetime warranty even if you're not the original owner? 

As far as I know, the lifetime provision is still in effect. But...wait times for repairs can vary from unbelievably fast to omg where the heck is my pistol.

Getting parts for a Taurus also can be a problem. Taurus doesn't like to let parts go. lol

26 minutes ago, hipower said:

As far as I know, the lifetime provision is still in effect. But...wait times for repairs can vary from unbelievably fast to omg where the heck is my pistol.

Getting parts for a Taurus also can be a problem. Taurus doesn't like to let parts go. lol

"You get what you pay for" ;)  Didn't realize that 290rs was almost as much as a Glock.   Now if that LC9s Pro is made in TN, then I'll consider it. :pleased: 

2 hours ago, hipower said:

I had a Taurus Millineum Pro.  Took it to the range and it literally fell apart in my hand on the 19th shot (slide cap and firing pin assembly fell out in my hand).  I called Taurus got a recording that said, "we are closed for a few weeks, call back in a month."  I thought, "ok" so I waited a few weeks and called back.  They said, "Sorry.  Mail it back."  Mailed it back.  Immediately got a tracking number (email) to track my pistol through the repairs.  I checked it every day.  Never showed me any updates. Not one single word.  Finally 6 months later, it showed up in my mailbox with no paperwork or explanation.  I immediately took it in and traded it for a Glock 27 .40 caliber that I am very happy with.  I  have no idea what was wrong with the Taurus, what they did to fix it, and never fired the repaired pistol.  Likely to never buy a Taurus again, though.

Never owned a Taurus or Keltec, but have had just about every other single stack 9mm on the market.  I carried a Kahr PM9 and MK9 for years.  Switched to a Shield a couple of years ago, have a Glock 43 that I just picked up.  All have been ultra reliable, and wouldn't hesitate to carry any of them.  

I'm more or less in the market for another carry gun. I gave my wife my G43 and I'm torn if I want to buy another or if I'm going to go a different route. Had an XDS 45 before it and a J frame Smith before that. Could keep going but I'll stop there. Can't make up my mind what I want so I pulled my trusty 19 out in the mean time. The Walther PPS M2 has intrigued me but I'm leaning toward another 43. Price has been my deciding factor and the aftermarket for it.

On 1/17/2017 at 6:14 PM, hipower said:

I owned a PF9 long enough to put a mag thru it and sold it. Nothing wrong, I just thought it had way to harsh a recoil.

I've owned/CC'd a PF9 for 8+ years. They are cheap enough that I could afford to add a CT guard laser and upgrade the trigger (Northwood). I like to tinker, so doing a "fluff n buff" and adding some grip/tail padding goes a long way on taming the recoil. Still not a range gun, but 'twas never meant to be. I've other 9's that I also CC but none of them are as light and small, or work for pocket-carry. With the KT frame-clip it's the most versatile & comfortable for me to CC.

On 1/17/2017 at 10:30 PM, JoeCorrado said:

The Walther PPS M2 has intrigued me but I'm leaning toward another 43. 

We've several Glocks; the wife CC's a 42. It was an early model and had issues, but Glock fixed it. I sometimes CC a Walther CCP. Many have had issues with those, but mine's been great. That said, I'd seriously consider the M2 instead if it was available at the time. I'd like to try one out.

29 minutes ago, Mamba said:

I've owned/CC'd a PF9 for 8+ years. They are cheap enough that I could afford to add a CT guard laser and upgrade the trigger (Northwood). I like to tinker, so doing a "fluff n buff" and adding some grip/tail padding goes a long way on taming the recoil. Still not a range gun, but 'twas never meant to be. I've other 9's that I also CC but none of them are as light and small, or work for pocket-carry. With the KT frame-clip it's the most versatile & comfortable for me to CC.

I'm glad it worked out for you, but for my taste it didn't. There are many pocket 9s that I found much more pleasant to shoot and carry than the PF9/11 series. I've owned a Shield since it was introduced and find it best for me. Yes, it's a bit larger, though not by much; and much more agreeable to me right out of the box. I've done absolutely nothing to either Shield that I've owned and very happy with them. Each has been boringly reliable and accurate.

I shoot a mag or two at each range session to keep acquainted with it, and have found nothing I like any more than it.

But that's just me and my opinion. That's why so many different guns are available. Not everyone likes the same one.

• Like 1

I've never tried the Taurus, although hubby has a TCP he keeps around as his backup carry. I've been happy with my LC9s (not the Pro version, mine has a thumb safety which I preferred having since it's frequently moved from vehicle to vehicle and the extra handling without a safety made me nervous).

I can't take it into the office with me, but it stays in the car tucked into a nylon holster locked in the console. When I get out somewhere other than work I clip the holster into my front pocket and it disappears. Perfect size, even with the LaserMax laser guard added. And yeah, before you give me crap about the laser, I know how to shoot the gun.. the dot is just there for intimidation. Works great when someone pulls into your driveway late at night, cuts the engine and sits there. Red dot in their rear view mirror makes them think twice about getting out and you don't see that car again. Where I live, you don't call 911 until it's time to pick up the body cause it'll be at least two hours before they get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Mamba said:

I didn't know they made a better trigger for the PF9. I carried mine for years. It always shot well, but the false reset on the trigger drove me nuts. I also wanted to put night sights on it, but I couldn't find anything other than some homemade ones on ebay :bored: I still have it, so I'll have to look into that trigger. I replaced it with the G43 as my carry gun though,  and I couldn't be happier. I've compared the size of the 2 many times, and for me the glock conceals just as easily.

Edited by Wingshooter

Had a PF9 that dropped the mag after every other shot. It was beast to shoot too. Now I have a XDs .45acp that has been super dependable. I also carry a little Keltec P32 a bunch in a pocket holster. It's the Bees knees!!!

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Moped said:

Had a PF9 that dropped the mag after every other shot. It was beast to shoot too. Now I have a XDs .45acp that has been super dependable. I also carry a little Keltec P32 a bunch in a pocket holster. It's the Bees knees!!!

My PF9 started dropping the mag too. I called Keltec, and they sent me a new mag release and spring no charge. They also offered to fix it for me if I wanted, but I chose to do it myself. That fixed the problem.

• Like 1
My PF9 started dropping the mag too. I called Keltec, and they sent me a new mag release and spring no charge. They also offered to fix it for me if I wanted, but I chose to do it myself. That fixed the problem.

Unfortunately I bought it used and wasn't sure the would fix it. Loved the size, but just didn't trust it. So traded to a shop for something else. Vowed to never buy another Keltec again, until you yahoos convenienced me that I needed to try a P32. Found a used one at Harvey's here in Knoxville. It's a First Gen and came with an extra mag and a pouch. It's been flawless and I costly have it on me. :)

• Like 1