Transporting Inherited Long Guns from Colorado to Tennessee

khrystid

Hi!

i recently inherited a few long guns from my uncle in Colorado and I would like to bring them home to Tennessee. I do not currently own any guns so I do not have any sort of permit or licensing. Could anyone help direct me where to find the TN laws that would pertain to this? I am having trouble finding any reference to inherited guns in TN. Will I even be allowed to bring them in since I don't have any license/permit?  

Thanks in advance for your help!  I really appreciate it.  Annie

There are no licenses or permits or registrations to own firearms in TN.

Want to feel secure in the other states for transport, do so according to safe passage part of federal lawthough you won't be going through any of the commie ones anyway.

18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms

"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
8 minutes ago, Cherokee Slim said:

We do not have gun registration in the United States unless you buy from a dealer.  The guns are yours and what you do with them is no ones business.  You don't need permission, a license or permit from anyone.

?? Any number of states require a license to purchase and/or have firearm registration regardless of how the gun is acquired.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

What they said. Just bring them home. Transport them unloaded for safety reasons and so as not to run afoul of any state laws as you pass through, as Oh Shoot pointed out.  No paperwork to fill out.

The unlikely exception would be if any of the firearms are considered items regulated by the National Firearms Act, commonly called NFA or Class 3 firearms. These would be short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns, fully automatic (not semi automatic) firearms, and suppressors (aka silencers). If the collection you're inheriting includes any of those items, let us know and we'll direct you to some specific paperwork that has to be sent to the ATF. There's no fee/tax for the paperwork during an inheritance, but it still needs to be filed.

• Like 1

Federal Law

478.29 Out-of-State acquisition of firearms by nonlicensees.

No person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, shall transport into or receive in the State where the person resides (or if a corporation or other business entity, where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State: Provided, That the provisions of this section:

(a) Shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State,

(b) Shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a rifle or shotgun obtained from a licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector in a State other than the transferee's State of residence in an over-the-counter transaction at the licensee's premises obtained in conformity with the provisions of § 478.96(c) and

(c) Shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a firearm obtained in conformity with the provisions of §§ 478.30 and 478.97.

I would use the website handgunlaw.us to check the state laws I would be traveling thru with the guns. No problem in Missouri if in the trunk or back of SUV but the State of Illinois requires pistols, longuns, bows, etc to be enclosed in a case even if in trunk when transported.  Cheap cases can be bought/borrowed to get them home. 

DWarren123 is correct. If you go get the guns, or have them shipped directly to you, there's no paperwork (unless they're NFA items like I mentioned earlier). Shipping them can be a hassle because some shippers simply will not ship from one private person to another as a matter of their own internal company policies. It's not against the law in your case, but they simply don't want to deal with it. Depending on the quantity, you could check them as checked baggage with the airline if you're flying to Colorado and back. There are some requirements for flying with them, so let us know if that's your plan and we'll give you the details.

If you want to ship them home and can't find a shipper to send them to your house (which is perfectly legal to do so), then you'd have to ship them back to TN to a licensed dealer (aka an FFL or Federal Firearms Licensee) and fill out a government form called a 4473 at the dealer's shop. It's basically a questionnaire and your personal info. That's then used to run a background check. The dealer will likely charge you a fee for handling the transaction. That could be anywhere from $15-$50/firearm. You'll also pay a $10 fee for a background check. Either the 4473 or the background check is good for up to a certain number of firearms. I think the number is 5, but I'm not sure.

Someone more knowledgeable than me can jump in and provide the actual number allowed on each 4473 and background check. I've never bought more than 2 at a time.

If you need a dealer recommendation, I'm sure some of our Memphis members can give you some suggestions for good ones.

18 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

Someone more knowledgeable than me can jump in and provide the actual number allowed on each 4473 and background check. I've never bought more than 2 at a time.

No limit federally.

TN TICS has 3 gun limit if using phone, no limit if using online submission.

- OS

• Like 1