Looky what I found today.

Raoul

I had one like it in holster with dress linen I bought from an elderly gentleman in 1982 for $350.  That was market rate at the time.  My brother begged me to sell it to him so I let him have it for $350 and the condition that if he ever let it go I had first dibs to buy it back for $350.  Two months later he called and said he had picked up a Colt Trooper (worth about $250 at that time).  I asked what he gave for it and he said "I traded the Colt 1911 even up".  I don't even miss him.:angry:

• Like 4

I hope that didn't come from my neck of the woods, because I would hate you.  Saturday very early in the morning on Armslist someone had just posted a Colt 1911 from WWI in my neck of the woods of Vonore for a very good price.  I thought about it all morning, then I decided to contact the person.  Dang ad was gone!!!!!!!

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Omega said:

Nice, hopefully soon anyone that wants one get one from the CMP.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2016/01/19/a-cmp-1911-update-from-cmp-chief-operating-officer-mark-johnson/

That is from a year ago and I'm part of the crowd that is not expecting it to ever happen...and if it does it won't be worth the trouble.

37 minutes ago, Garufa said:

That is from a year ago and I'm part of the crowd that is not expecting it to ever happen...and if it does it won't be worth the trouble.

Not a fan myself, but do think it will happen now.  The last administration probably dragged their feet on this, the new one,  hopefully, may just get it done.

1 hour ago, runco said:

I hope that didn't come from my neck of the woods, because I would hate you.  Saturday very early in the morning on Armslist someone had just posted a Colt 1911 from WWI in my neck of the woods of Vonore for a very good price.  I thought about it all morning, then I decided to contact the person.  Dang ad was gone!!!!!!!

No, found here in Sullivan County. Actually it found me.

• 3 months later...

So I've done a little work on the gun with the help of Numrich.

New barrel, bushing, and link. Springs, firing pin and replica grips. Soaked and cleaned the weapon but haven't altered the finish in any way. Should be ready for a range trip once I hand load a few moderately charged rounds.

1911update.jpg

• Like 5
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 4:57 PM, tacops said:

I had one like it in holster with dress linen I bought from an elderly gentleman in 1982 for $350.  That was market rate at the time.  My brother begged me to sell it to him so I let him have it for $350 and the condition that if he ever let it go I had first dibs to buy it back for $350.  Two months later he called and said he had picked up a Colt Trooper (worth about $250 at that time).  I asked what he gave for it and he said "I traded the Colt 1911 even up".  I don't even miss him.:angry:

I had a brother like that also and he did something similar. Have not spoke to him in 25 years and don't even know if he is still alive...........:mad:

On 1/18/2017 at 4:53 PM, Raoul said:

Looking at the Colt website it was made in 1918.

The brown spots on the front of the gun appear to be something like shellac and not rust.

colt1.jpg

Blue Wonder took similar stuff off my circa 1917 Colt. I have the Sears holster also.

RSCN0683.jpg

Edited by bubbiesdad
  • Like 1
On 1/18/2017 at 3:53 PM, Raoul said:

The brown spots on the front of the gun appear to be something like shellac and not rust.

Ya, many years ago it was common practice to put [shellac] on worn areas, to combat rust, etc.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Joe86
      Taurus PT111 Millennium G2 For sale. Like New Condition with box and manual. Purchased in Feb 2017. Taken to the range once, fired about 225 rounds of various FMJ and JHP ammo. All ammo ran flawlessly. The gun was surprisingly accurate but the trigger bit my finger more than I was comfortable with. None of the You Tube reviews mentioned anything about this so I guess I was the odd man out on this. Anyway, I'd rather sell it and get something that doesn't pinch my trigger finger.
      $180 + bill of sale to TN resident and DL or Carry permit.

• By Joe86
      Matched pair of Colt Derringers in Colt presentation case
      Consecutive serial numbers. Case in very good condition. 22 short.
      Purchased by my mother in 1961. Both have probably been fired 10- 20 times each when new. Cleaned and not fired since.
      IMO, collectors’ guns not for generally shooting or carry.
      $325.
      I’m in East Nashville but will meet within 25 miles.
      More pictures available on request. If you want more pictures please send me you email address.
      Thanks for taking the time to review my ad.

• By Moped
      I might have made a huge mistake, boys. Could lead to a divorce. I stopped in my LGS (Crossroads Guns, in Fountain City), for some HV .22LR for my Stoeger Luger. I walked out with the .22 rounds and after putting a Walther PPK/s in lay-a-way.  It’s a beaut, a Interarms Stainless steel pistol,  with both mags, box, manuals cleaning rod... all for 5 bills plus tax and BCG. Lay-a-way for 12 months!
      Oh Lord, what have I done???  😆😆😆
      Looks like this!

• By seez52
      Anybody ever try and run 7mm subsonic? Was thinking about a 300 Blackout but I'm not stocked on any ammo or components and after seeing 20 rnds for $30 at the LGS I think that boat has sailed for now.
      I've got an old Contender in 7mm TCU that I haven't shot in eons. Wondered if anyone had tried running something like that suppressed? I do have some makins' to get that going.

• By TGO David
      Ordered a Shadow Systems MR920 optics-ready Combat model tonight.  I should have it within the next 21 days according to the terms of the sale.  Everyone is so damned backlogged due to the volume of sales lately. 🤪

This will bring me almost full circle back to a Glock 19 sized gun.  I've got a few G45 models still that I won't part with, so that covers my 17rd Glock platform needs, but I have rediscovered the desire for the G19 size during some recent training.  Oh well... it's not like you can take money with you when you go, and my kids would just spend it on something other than guns.  🙂

Now I need to decide what I am thinning out of the herd.  I've got an idea in mind but I need to take some current photos so I can go ahead and list it on TGO tomorrow.

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines