Craziest Trade offer Someone has tried to get you to do

Ronald_55

Would love to hear what kind of crazy trade offers people have gotten over the years. I try to be reasonable when I offer a trade to someone, but it seems some people either think I am stupid about prices or that their beat up single shot 12ga is some rare artifact. If I can go buy it for $110, I am not going to trade you a $400 item for it.

5 minutes ago, TrickyNicky said:

Around here? Be prepared for stories of livestock, firewood. lawn furniture and maybe even sexual favors.  :rofl: 

Nashville Craigslist can be an interesting place. 

Hmm, maybe I need to stock up on hi-points.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, TrickyNicky said:

Around here? Be prepared for stories of livestock, firewood. lawn furniture and maybe even sexual favors.  :rofl: 

Nashville Craigslist can be an interesting place. 

Man East TN is not as fun as Nashville I guess. Of course if a scruffy guy in overalls offers me sexual favors with him or his livestock for a gun...I am going to run. :eek:

I thought Craigslist did not allow firearms?

16 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

Man East TN is not as fun as Nashville I guess. Of course if a scruffy guy in overalls offers me sexual favors with him or his livestock for a gun...I am going to run. :eek:

I thought Craigslist did not allow firearms?

They do not allow firearms. So posters sell them using cryptic terms and descriptions.

18 minutes ago, res308 said:

Don't know if it counts or not, but if it's someone I know I'll usually start the bartering with an offer of a rusty hatchet and a half-eaten cheese burger.

With a few guns I have seen people trying to trade, you would be on the losing end of the deal even at that. 

I went to take a look at a used intake for sale on CL. I knew how much they were new, $110 so I figured I might get a deal. I show up and take a look. It has a few helicols in it which I don't mind if the price is right. He said he wanted $150. I said they are like $110 new. He responded with a diatribe of how he broke it in and how that cost him a lot of gas. He also said he had to buy the helicoils after he stripped the threads and those weren't cheap. I offered $50, which was more than it was worth, and boy was I glad when he refused.

• Like 1

Dolomites take pretty much my opinion of Craigslist in this area. Beat up junk people are trying to hawk off at new prices. I did snag a decent tonneau cover for $100. The cover itself was in excellent shape but no keys. I rekeyed it to match the keys on the old camper pass through doors.  

I'll try and get this back on track with a gun trade. At a gunshow a few years back I was trying to sell my very first handgun (Stupid, stupid, stupid) A West German Sig 226. A guy offered me a Bersa 9mm for it. Straight trade. It was all I could do to keep a straight face. I ended up selling for cash and to this day, I regret it. It wasn't in great shape but it was my very first. Ended up finding another West German 226 a few years later in better shape and equipped with Siglites for nearly the same money.

• Like 1

Walking around a Nashville Fairgrounds Show about twelve years ago had a guy walk by with a GI 1911,can spot them at 100 paces. I asked him

what he was selling and handed me a correct 1944 Ithaca and said he was wanting to trade even for a Kel-Tec 9mm about $250 then. I had one at

home  and I said how about we walk over to a dealers table and I give you the cash for one out the door? He said no I just want to trade it for one right now???  I scrambled trying to find a used one quick but seen him walk past me about five minutes later with a Kel-Tec.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
10 hours ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

I went to take a look at a used intake for sale on CL. I knew how much they were new, $110 so I figured I might get a deal. I show up and take a look. It has a few helicols in it which I don't mind if the price is right. He said he wanted $150. I said they are like $110 new. He responded with a diatribe of how he broke it in and how that cost him a lot of gas. He also said he had to buy the helicoils after he stripped the threads and those weren't cheap. I offered $50, which was more than it was worth, and boy was I glad when he refused.

Not a trade offer per se, and I don't remember the exact pricing, but once I found a Henry AR-7 in I believe the TN Trader. Called them up, they said it was like new, I drove 20 minutes to go buy it. It was + or - $20 from the new price on Bud's if I recall correctly, but worth it to avoid taxes, transfer fee, hassle, etc on a $200 firearm.

Showed up cash in hand and fully ready to make a purchase. What I assume were a husband and Wife showed up. Showed me the AR-7 and walked me through all of how it "worked". I liked it but noticed that the buttstock cap, the piece that keeps the whole thing waterproof and whatnot, was pretty badly damaged. I told them that because of this it definitely wasn't "like new". They insisted it was new, hadn't been shot, but that it was stored on a shelf and something was piled on top of it and must have deformed/damaged the stock. It was obviously damaged. They wanted a sale and kept pushing that I could probably buy a new end piece.

I think to just end the deal and go home I offered something like $100 or $150 since I would "have to buy another end-peice". One of them grabbed the rifle out of my hands and the two of them got out of their quicker than I had hoped:)

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Will said:

Walking around a Nashville Fairgrounds Show about twelve years ago had a guy walk by with a GI 1911,can spot them at 100 paces. I asked him

what he was selling and handed me a correct 1944 Ithaca and said he was wanting to trade even for a Kel-Tec 9mm about $250 then. I had one at

home  and I said how about we walk over to a dealers table and I give you the cash for one out the door? He said no I just want to trade it for one right now???  I scrambled trying to find a used one quick but seen him walk past me about five minutes later with a Kel-Tec.

That really sounds like he couldn't pass a background check. It's probably a good thing you didn't get a chance to trade.

• Like 1