What's your NEXT gun?

musicman

After perusing my collection, I find myself lacking a decent scattergun. I have a break single 20 that is good enough for upland game, but a 12ga pump with a long barrel and a set of chokes and a second 18" cylinder bore for home defense should fill out the last of my "needs." 

As far as collecting, I need to find an m1 carbine, trapdoor Springfield, Enfield musket, and an 1898 krag. Oh, and the money to fund all of them. :-(

2 hours ago, FJCrusing said:

Just picked up a 1989 Browning Semi-Auto Gold Hunter 12 Gauge that had never been fired and still in the original box.  That one just kinda showed up but the gun that I have been planning on in the near future is a Glock 19 MOS.  I did the Remington Black Friday deal on 9mm and let's just say I have some 9mm to burn through this year. 

Would love to see pics of that Browning!!

12 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

Picking up my new suppressor host today.  CZ 75 SP01 Tactical Suppressor Ready.  Looking forward to shooting it.

Oh. Man.  That's the one that keeps trying to bump the Kimber 10mm off my #1 spot!!! Did you order yours from Ky Gun Co?  Can't wait to read your range report!

That's a good lookin' shotty, FJ!

• Like 1
Oh. Man.  That's the one that keeps trying to bump the Kimber 10mm off my #1 spot!!! Did you order yours from Ky Gun Co?  Can't wait to read your range report!
That's a good lookin' shotty, FJ!

No, they were out of the one in Urban Grey. I got it from Georgia Gun Store. Best price I could find. They are hard to find right now for a decent price.
  • Like 1

I don't have any big plans for a 'next gun'.  I honestly already have more than I will ever need (but do we ever have all we want?)  My foray into the field of the 1911 left me underwhelmed and I am not really on fire to get another, not to mention I am just as happy not to be buying .45acp ammo nor do I really relish the thought of adding another caliber for any kind of 'regular shooting' that I don't already have.  No, real interest in an AR, either.

Just about the only 'really want' I have right now would be a SP101 in .357 with (or that I could put on) the rosewood inlaid rubber grips like the ones on my GP100.  I think that would make a satisfying 'set', for me.  I'm not currently looking all that hard, though, because I don't have the free capital to buy one outright nor do I have anything I would want to trade at the moment.  Maybe if I see a nice, used one at the LGS where layaway is an option.  Even where it comes to the SP101 I'm honestly not just desperate to own one and am not really looking all that hard.  It is more a kind of 'would be nice at some point but won't break my heart if I don't'.  Otherwise, if there is an otherwise, my 'next gun' will probably be something inexpensive (and unexciting to most folks) that I might happen upon or decide to get.  I am really thinking seriously that I would kind of like to have one of those Hatfield folding single shot shotguns while Wally still has them for around $100.  Things like that are really where my tastes and interests lie these days.  High speed/low drag I definitely ain't and that suits me just fine.

Now for a confession:  There are some of the firearms I inherited from my maternal grandfather which I have only put a handful (or less) of rounds through at this point.  The ammo shortage/price jump along with being pretty well out of commission for the last part of 2014 and most of 2015 with that pesky cancer thing and now work schedule changes as well as other issues have made it dang near impossible for me to get to a spot that has suitable ranges for shooting centerfire rifles.  So much so, in fact, that many of those still feel like 'new' guns, to me.  No, none of them are up for sale or trade.

Honestly, right now there are things I would like to do/add/change with the things I already own more than I want anything else.  For instance, one of those inherited guns is a Stevens SxS 12 gauge.  Nothing special, just an old, utility grade shotgun with the 'coolness' factor of being a double barrel.  Although I like it because it is a SxS I don't have a lot of use for it as it.  It also isn't one that I identify strongly with him - just one of the guns he had.  So, as I have thought for a while that I would like to have a coach gun, I am seriously considering having a gunsmith go through it and fix any issues or potential issues, have it cut down to coach gun length and a nice, new bead added then do a minor restoration job to it, myself.  In the long run I think I would enjoy that more than just buying a coach gun somewhere.  That is, when/if the spare funds come available.

Edited by JAB
23 hours ago, musicman said:

What bolt 308s are you considering?  I have an AR10 and some bolt guns in other caliberz, but no 308 bolt.  It's something I'll probably add later in the year and I'm probably leaning Savage model 11 or something similar at this point. What about you?

Kind of leaning back toward old school. 20" or less, but not less than 18", with iron sights. Wouldn't mind getting a Ruger Scout, I'd prefer the one with the polymer stock. Problem is that they don't offer it in the configuration I'd want. Seems you can get a stainless with the 18" barrel with the laminated stock, but not with the polymer. Also thinking about the Savage. A Remington Model 7 would fit the bill too.

I forgot to mention that I really want a Marlin .45-70. Maybe the Guide gun, cause I like a straight stock and lever, but I also like the full length mag tubes of the ABL and GBL. I really like the Cowboy, but that 26" barrel is just not as handy.  

2 hours ago, MudBugjr said:

I have land I can shoot on. I would love to have a Barrett but just a little more than I can spend ie ( what my wife will let me spend) That is one that's hard to pick up and blend with the collection without her noticing lol

You'll need a good 300+yrd range and a big backstop for a 50, your not going to be able to hide a Barrett, I have a 82A1 and it takes up 2 spaces in the safe, also it has a huge ass pelican case too..

BTW: T town resident to.