Without the NRA.......

gregintenn

How was the NRA imperative to this? President Trump won on a jobs message, massive discontent with the healthcare market, and a weak opponent. The pro gun stuff was simply preaching to the choir.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk just to give Oh Shoot something to be grumpy about.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, btq96r said:

How was the NRA imperative to this? President Trump won on a jobs message, massive discontent with the healthcare market, and a weak opponent. The pro gun stuff was simply preaching to the choir.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk just to give Oh Shoot something to be grumpy about.

They helped push lots of folks to the polls. Future gun rights was a big thing to a lot of us. At the time, we didn't know we were gonna have the HUGE bonus of all those liberal tears.

I even sent the NRA some bucks. You're welcome.

• Like 3
They helped push lots of folks to the polls. Future gun rights was a big thing to a lot of us. At the time, we didn't know we were gonna have the HUGE bonus of all those liberal tears.
I even sent the NRA some bucks. You're welcome.

Okay, but how many of those they pushed to the polls wouldn't have found their way there without the NRA? Being able to vote against Hillary was motivation enough I'd say. I just can't see the NRA inspired push being what put DJT into the west wing.

12 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Okay, but how many of those they pushed to the polls wouldn't have found their way there without the NRA? Being able to vote against Hillary was motivation enough I'd say. I just can't see the NRA inspired push being what put DJT into the west wing.

Impossible to tell for sure, I guess. Hell, some folks thought Hillary was gonna win by a landslide. :) 

• Like 1

First and foremost, God certainly had his hand in this election, how do we know, all of the protests prove it!  Second I am sure the NRA contributed by contributing resources into campaigns.  Anyone who thinks otherwise is not wise or not familiar with how the NRA works behind the scenes.   

• Like 3
2 hours ago, runco said:

Anyone who thinks otherwise is not wise or not familiar with how the NRA works behind the scenes.   

I would strongly disagree with this this statement, and I say this as someone very familiar with both NRA operations and lobbying in general.  They do a pretty good job with passive pressure and marketing their accomplishments to their members, but within the halls they do as much harm as they do good.

9 hours ago, quietguy said:

I would strongly disagree with this this statement, and I say this as someone very familiar with both NRA operations and lobbying in general.  They do a pretty good job with passive pressure and marketing their accomplishments to their members, but within the halls they do as much harm as they do good.

So did they use their resources to influence people, a yes or no type of answer? 

I’m not really a fanboy of the NRA; but everything helped. I hope the middle class remembers this next election. The Dems have realized (maybe) the mistakes they made and they will do and say anything and everything to get their people to the polls. If things go right a lot more people will be working the next Presidential election and it will be harder for them to get to the polls.

My opinion (for what it’s worth) this election had everything to do with the economy and healthcare and very little to do with gun control. But hey, every little bit helps.

21 hours ago, btq96r said:

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

I’m not really a fanboy of the NRA; but everything helped. I hope the middle class remembers this next election. The Dems have realized (maybe) the mistakes they made and they will do and say anything and everything to get their people to the polls. If things go right a lot more people will be working the next Presidential election and it will be harder for them to get to the polls.

My opinion (for what it’s worth) this election had everything to do with the economy and healthcare and very little to do with gun control. But hey, every little bit helps.

Both above comment pretty much mirror my own opinion. Any votes the NRA may have influenced were far overshadowed by discontent towards the incumbent and prospects of the same or worse. The DNP and RNP should be painfully aware by now of how discontented voters were and misinformed the polls left them.

So, if we're going to argue semantics, let's at least try to get it right about what the NRA actually accomplished in this election.

For my money, the biggest thing they did was give that much earlier than usual endorsement of Trump once it was simple math that he would win the Republican primary.  This put a lot of Republicans still opposed to him in a political bind...pick a fight with the candidate the NRA had their arms around, or tone it down and accept the inevitable to stay on the NRA's good side.  While the overall effect wasn't what I would call critical, or a deciding factor, it did allow Trump to consolidate things faster than he otherwise would have (though it's debatable if he took advantage of that).