what are the best affordable upgrades for a 1911???

Guest jdavis

Guest jdavis

i just made a decision to get a 1911,in the trade i had a choice of a glock 21 and a auto ordnance 1911 a newer one made by kahr, i have three glocks already so i chose the 1911, and i am proud of it i fired 200 rounds through it without a problem, but it is biting my hand what is the best beaver tail to buy at an affordable price, and in all of your oppinions what are the best affordable upgrades other than the beavertail for this gun, and any advice on ammo? it is the a1 us army these pics really suck i took them with my phone.

1911.jpg19112.jpg

Edited by jdavis
addd pics
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
i just made a decision to get a 1911,in the trade i had a choice of a glock 21 and a auto ordnance 1911 a newer one made by kahr, i have three glocks already so i chose the 1911, and i am proud of it i fired 200 rounds through it without a problem, but it is biting my hand what is the best beaver tail to buy at an affordable price, and in all of your oppinions what are the best affordable upgrades other than the beavertail for this gun, and any advice on ammo? i will get pics up asap.

From what I have seen, most beavertails are not drop-in. They require modification to the frame. However, I believe Wilson Combat sells drop in beavertails and "bobbed" hammers. I've used them before and they work pretty good.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=954488

I have a mil-spec Springfield that used to bite me every range trip. I wanted to leave it as original as I could, so I filed off enough of the hammer to prevent the bite, no beaver tail required. A dab of cold blue and it looks original. My loaded model Springfield has a nice beaver tail from the factory while it is a joy to shoot, I like the looks of the mil-spec better.

Guest jdavis
The best and most affordable upgrade, from a reliability standpoint, is quality magazines.

what is the best mag for the money, and can you get a parkerized beavertail, if i file down the hammer will i still be able to get it comfortably with my thumb?

what is the best mag for the money, and can you get a parkerized beavertail, if i file down the hammer will i still be able to get it comfortably with my thumb?

When my SA was stock I bobbed the hammer. When the slide cocks the hammer it pushes it past full cock, this is probably where the bite is coming from. You don't need to take off much, take little off at a time until it stops biting you.

Guest jdavis

i have decided to have the beavertail done by a smith, someone advise me of where to get the wilson extended slide stop, and the mags, and what is the advantage full length recoil rod or buffer will it really make the 1911 more dependable?

Guest grimel
i have decided to have the beavertail done by a smith, someone advise me of where to get the wilson extended slide stop, and the mags, and what is the advantage full length recoil rod or buffer will it really make the 1911 more dependable?

Buy Wilson, Chip McCormick, or Strip/teyer (spelted all wrong) magazines. Forget the full length guide rod, buffer, and extended slide release. Too keep a 1911 reliable is needs to be left alone as much as possible, cleaned regularly, lubricated properly, feed decent ammo, and above all else given GOOD magazines.

Guest jdavis

is there a disadvantage to the extended slide stop, my factory slide stop is nearly impossible to work with one hand that is the only reason i was thinking on one, will it get easier to work after it is broken in? this gun has only had 200 rounds through it. any advice at all with the 1911 will be appreciated this is my second one and i hated the first one it was the smaller 1911 it never felt right when i shot it, every time i shot my hands would end up bleeding at some point, it almost burnt me on 1911s.

Edited by jdavis
is there a disadvantage to the extended slide stop, my factory slide stop is nearly impossible to work with one hand that is the only reason i was thinking on one, will it get easier to work after it is broken in? this gun has only had 200 rounds through it. any advice at all with the 1911 will be appreciated this is my second one and i hated the first one it was the smaller 1911 it never felt right when i shot it, every time i shot my hands would end up bleeding at some point, it almost burnt me on 1911s.

They are slide stops not slide releases. That being said, I would focus on reliability and trigger time. There are a million things you can do to a 1911, and a million dollars can be spent. Shoot the snot out of yours, then find someone to let you shoot a really nice one or rent one. I have loaded and shot thousands of rounds through my SA. I love it and will never part with it. It is not the prettiest, but it is 100% reliable and very accurate. Hell even my wife likes it. It started life as basic GI like yours. After 17 years it has just matured. I will post a picture later.

Edited by Curiousgb
Guest jdavis

pics would be good, i know that the upgrades will have to suit me but just wanting oppinions on what has worked for other people who are 1911 owners.

Guest Law of Thirds

On the magazines:

Wilson Combat 47D (30.00) or Chip McCormick Shooting Star (18.00)

The Wilsons aint cheap at 30 bucks each, but they work every time, are the easiest magazines to clean and will last about as long as the gun will. Watch out for Wilson's "Service Magazines" though, they will feed FMJ reliably but get a hollowpoint anywhere near them and they'll nosedive faster than a dive bomber.

With the hammer bite: A commander hammer is what I'd do personally. The drop in beavertails all are quite ugly and have gaps between them and the frame.

The best magazines for the money are Wilson Combat... no question (in my opinion). I had an issue with one magazine not wanting to eject as smoothly as the rest. It still ejected but not as fluid as the others. I contacted Wilson Combat and they wanted me to mail it back to them. A few days went by and I received an email from them stating that the tolerances on that particular mag were "slightly" off. And to make up for the mistake, they sent me a brand new magazine back in the mail the very next day. That is the kind of customer service that makes me buy their stuff. Unfortunately I cannot afford one of their handguns. :P

Guest jdavis
Not great pics but...

">100_1173.jpg100_1171.jpg

100_1172.jpg

nice springfield what brand beaver tail and hammer do you have on it, it looks good did a smith do it or did you do it? i spoke to a smith and he told me to do it myself that it was no problem at all to install, im a certified machinist but not a gunsmith, but he said i should be fine with it that there was nothing to it. he also said to bring it by and he would walk me through it.

Hammer and bevertail are Ed Brown. If you are a machinist none of this will be an issue for you. I did mine by hand with the EB jig. If I had access to a mill there would be Novac sights on mine.

I fondled a EB Kobra Carry last night. It was heavenly, but it was 1800 used. My wife didn't even bother to comment.

Guest jdavis

whats your oppinion on gun specific parts, i found extended beavertails, and commander hammers online that are supposed to be milled to fit my gun with very little to no alteration,and i can get it parkerized also? would this be a good route to follow?