22LR for coyotes?

Will it kill it, probably with perfect shot placement.  Will it do it quickly and ethically, not for me.  If she isn't in a neighborhood, use a 223 or something similar.  At a Minimum, use a 22mag or 17HMR if you insist you have to use a rimfire.  

I know people don't like Coyote's, but there is no sense in being inhumane about it.  There is too much room for error with a rimfire that makes it a poor choice for me.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 5
1 minute ago, Hozzie said:

Will it kill it, probably with perfect shot placement.  Will it do it quickly and ethically, not for me.  If she isn't in a neighborhood, use a 223 or something similar.  At a Minimum, use a 22mag or 17HMR if you insist you have to use a rimfire.  

I know people don't like Coyote's, but there is no sense in being inhumane about it.

I've thought about that too. I don't want any animal to suffer. There are houses close by, but there is an area behind their property where people hunt deer so I suppose noise is not an issue. My other options are 30-06 or 44 magnum. Both rifles with scopes. 

Coyotes aren't an easy target.  Nothing against you, but most people have too much confidence with such a small bullet, especially if used off hand.  A 223 with a ballistic tip would give you much more room for error.  I just don't like to see any animal suffer and there is a much greater chance with a 22.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Randall53 said:

I've thought about that too. I don't want any animal to suffer. There are houses close by, but there is an area behind their property where people hunt deer so I suppose noise is not an issue. My other options are 30-06 or 44 magnum. Both rifles with scopes. 

I would use the 44 mag and go for a heart shot.  Much more mass to hit.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1

She's getting worried because she's already lost one pet dog to them. They lured her 12 year old dog off of her porch and attacked it. She had to have her pet put down. She was distraught for several months. She is a true dog lover, but hates coyotes.

1 minute ago, Randall53 said:

She's getting worried because she's already lost one pet dog to them. They lured her 12 year old dog off of her porch and attacked it. She had to have her pet put down. She was distraught for several months. She is a true dog lover, but hates coyotes.

I can absolutely understand the need to do it. I would do the exact same thing.  I would just want to do it humanely. I believe you do to, so no worries there.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1

I'll go with the 44 marlin. She has a new pet now, a 1 year old australian shepherd and she can't keep her in all the time. I did tell her there's no way I can kill all of the yotes and will be lucky to get 2 or 3 of them. but if I hunt there every couple of weeks or so, maybe they'll get the idea they are being watched.

3 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

I can absolutely understand the need to do it. I would do the exact same thing.  I would just want to do it humanely. I believe you do to, so no worries there.

Yes very true Hozzie. It's not like I'm gonna be shooting up the woods...LOL. Coyotes are not easy to call in after you shoot one or two. But maybe it will make them move to another area. 

I certainly understand the humane part of it, I am an animal lover.

but don't under estimate a 22. Ma y an animal and many a human met their demise with one. 

An accurate rifle and a cool temperament, it would be just fine. 

Of course I would prefer the .17 or 22mag. Perhaps it's a good reason to add something to the collection. 

Personally I don't like to use a high power round when there are homes and people near by. Not worth the risk for me. 

• Like 4
49 minutes ago, Ugly said:

I certainly understand the humane part of it, I am an animal lover.

but don't under estimate a 22. Ma y an animal and many a human met their demise with one. 

An accurate rifle and a cool temperament, it would be just fine. 

Of course I would prefer the .17 or 22mag. Perhaps it's a good reason to add something to the collection. 

Personally I don't like to use a high power round when there are homes and people near by. Not worth the risk for me. 

I do have a 22 magnum single shot but I havn'et shot it in some time. I've taken the scope off of it, but hey, it's an excellent excuse to go to the range...right? :cheers:  :hat:

• Like 2

A long time ago I had a huge mulberry tree that was about 30 yards from my door. It would draw them in during the day. At the time, I kept a Ithaca 22 semi auto loaded with CCI stingers for the chucks behind the house. So when I saw the coyote, that's what he got. First one went down dead after about a 20 yard run, second one ran all the way to a tree line about 100 yards before he dropped dead. Neither of the dogs had exit wounds. The area wasn't the best for anything more power full.  22mag would be a better choice.

Edited by xtriggerman
  • Like 1

Nope! They like to move way to much. I won't even take the .22mag after losing a few with good shot placement. Not head shots but good body shots. They are tougher than you think. I'm no expert but I've killed a few and I wouldn't even consider taking .22lr in the woods after a coyote.

• Admin Team

The .44mag is a good choice.  If they're attacking pets I wouldn't back away from using .22LR if I was somehow limited (range, houses nearby, sound, etc.). But, I'd definitely choose something that hits harder to increase my chances with limited opportunities.  

I've looked it over and there is a pretty large hollow leading away to a wooded area. There's a good place to set up and place the call and attractor low in the hollow. No chance of hitting anything. There's an area where people deer hunt behind the shooting direction to boot and it's not being used now that the season is over. I'm going to give it a try the end of the week.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
Does anyone use a 22LR hollowpoint for coyotes? My sister has a place that is infested and asked if I could try to kill a few. Any shots would be within 50 yards. I was thinking about using my CZ 455 setup.

.22LR will absolutely kill a coyote dead. Biggest thing is making a fast and humane kill. I raise and butcher my own livestock. I've killed a lot of 400 + lb hogs with a single shot from a .22lr. You know your gun's capabilities and hopefully your own capabilities as well. If you are confident in the shot when it presents itself then take it. If not dont.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

On 1/23/2017 at 9:40 PM, Randall53 said:

There's a good place to set up and place the call and attractor low in the hollow. No chance of hitting anything. 

Then I would use the 30-06. Then distance and whether or not the round can kill is not even an issue.

50 or 300 yards; you do your part and it doesn’t matter. I can’t imagine being able to get within 50 yards of a Coyote that knows you are there; but if you can pull that off most anything would work.

Good luck.