Georgia is pretty simple compared to Tennessee. Government buildings with security checkpoints are off limits, as are all schools. As Dave said above, handgunlaw.us is a good starting point. While it's encouraged to be respectful of no guns signs, they don't carry the weight of law. (Of course I'm not a lawyer, and nothing I say here should be construed as legal advice). 

1 hour ago, TennDawg said:

.... While it's encouraged to be respectful of no guns signs, they don't carry the weight of law. (Of course I'm not a lawyer, and nothing I say here should be construed as legal advice). 

This comment regarding GA, or TN?

- OS

6 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

This comment regarding GA, or TN?

- OS

Must be Georgia.  Although it is true that Georgia does not have a codified sign law like Tennessee, I have seen legal advice that you should not admit to ignoring such a sign because it could be argued that it would be equivalent to ignoring a trespassing notice.  So "signs carry weight" is not codified in Georgia law, but there are ways the wrong LEO and DA could charge you as such.  Doesn't actually happen a lot, but it is a possibility.

Here is a good reference for Georgia: http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

To add to TennDawg's list of prohibited places:  any courthouse (even if it has no security screening); within 150 ft of a polling place with active voting; in a jail or prison; in a mental health facility; in a house of worship unless permission is given by the governing authority.  In the case of churches, it means they are prohibited places unless they have "opted in" to allowing carrying, but you won't necessarily know that unless you ask, and the penalty for carrying in a prohibited church is $100 fine with no arrest, unlike the other prohibited places.

You can carry on school property "when the license holder carries or picks up a student.."  Notice it does not specify while in a vehicle.   Also allows keeping the gun in a vehicle while in a school zone.. 

• Like 2
On 1/24/2017 at 6:54 AM, dawgdoc said:

Although it is true that Georgia does not have a codified sign law like Tennessee, I have seen legal advice that you should not admit to ignoring such a sign because it could be argued that it would be equivalent to ignoring a trespassing notice.  So "signs carry weight" is not codified in Georgia law, but there are ways the wrong LEO and DA could charge you as such.  Doesn't actually happen a lot, but it is a possibility.

Very good point, and thank you for clarifying that. I certainly didn't mean that you should ignore posted places, just that you aren't necessarily committing an offense under Georgia law if you are carrying and didn't happen to see a sign prohibiting firearms. 

10 hours ago, TennDawg said:

Very good point, and thank you for clarifying that. I certainly didn't mean that you should ignore posted places, just that you aren't necessarily committing an offense under Georgia law if you are carrying and didn't happen to see a sign prohibiting firearms. 

Perhaps also worth noting that, to my knowledge, there has never been a conviction for carrying past a sign in TN without significant extenuating circumstances (such as generally making an arse of yourself). 

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, peejman said:

Perhaps also worth noting that, to my knowledge, there has never been a conviction for carrying past a sign in TN without significant extenuating circumstances (such as generally making an arse of yourself). 

Yeah the only place we've ever seen it as the sole charge is trying to carry into the secure area of an airport.  

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I just got my first IWB holster (cross breed). I like it while standing up and walking. However, while sitting it is rather uncomfortable. The butt of the gun presses up against the back rest of the chair. What have you guys done to combat this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, Tyler Johnson said:

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I just got my first IWB holster (cross breed). I like it while standing up and walking. However, while sitting it is rather uncomfortable. The butt of the gun presses up against the back rest of the chair. What have you guys done to combat this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Move it closer to 3:00, don't lean back, or take it out of the holster.