Glock 43 vs Shield?

Crazy Coot

I currently have a Shield and have carried it IWB for 2 or 3 years now. I shoot it really well and like pretty much everything about it. However, it does seem a little heavy compared to the G43 and is a little taller.

Honestly, I'm partial to Glocks. Had the G43's been out at the time I bought the Shield, I probably would have went with the G43. I pocket carry a G42 and I shoot it almost as well as the Shield.

For those of you that have shot both, which do you prefer?

I have had both and got rid of my Shield and still carry my Glock 43. I coose the Glock because of its simplicity. I can detail strip it with only a punch , a nail , or even with an ink pen. With the Shield you need a roll-pin punch and other tools. The Glock 43 is just a nice gun and mine has eaten all rounds that I have fed it. I reload and it shoots them all just fine. I say go with the Glock 43 .

I don't OWN both, but I do have and edc the Performance Center Shield 9.  I have shot two different G43s.  I prefer the Shield, otherwise I'd have a 43 now.  Like TMauto, the 43 is just too tiny for me.  It's not about the length of the grip, but the depth front to back.  The 43 squirms in my hand because it's so small and I need to regrip every shot.  I shoot my Shield with the short 7 rd mag all the time no problem.  

All that to say, if you have a 42 and like it, you'll probably love the 43 as well.  I'm a huge S&W fan, but it sounds like you'd be happier with another of Gaston's finest.  I think them both to be quality guns separated only by personal preference and an extra $130 or so.

I own a 43. I don't own a shield, but do own a lot of other pistols. Pistols are real personal things. I carry my 43 a lot, because it has the best features for carry. I would much rather shoot several of my other pistols. My Glock 19 is probably my favorite. Point is, I don't have my 43 because it fits my hand better. I have it because it fits my belt better. But, that's just me. I don't shoot pistols a lot, and have plenty to choose from when I do. Most folks are gonna practice with their carry gun more than me. Just pays to think about it before you drop the cash. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mikegideon said:

I own a 43. I don't own a shield, but do own a lot of other pistols. Pistols are real personal things. I carry my 43 a lot, because it has the best features for carry. I would much rather shoot several of my other pistols. My Glock 19 is probably my favorite. Point is, I don't have my 43 because it fits my hand better. I have it because it fits my belt better. But, that's just me. I don't shoot pistols a lot, and have plenty to choose from when I do. Most folks are gonna practice with their carry gun more than me. Just pays to think about it before you drop the cash. 

Same for me about fitting my belt. The Shield is a fine gun, but the grip is taller than the G43 by one more round. That is the difference in printing / not printing for me. I can always carry an extended round spare mag for my G43, but I can never make the Shield smaller. I put rubber Talon grips on my G43, and it made a noticible improvement in the feel for me. I really like it.

6 hours ago, mikegideon said:

I too own and carry a 43, but I do love my 19.  The 43 (IMHO) really is a perfectly concealable weapon in a great caliber.  I carry mine in an IWB holster made by HighNoon holsters.  It is so comfortable I don't even notice it's there.  I also like the quality of the Glock build.

2 hours ago, Jared Hensley said:

I too own and carry a 43, but I do love my 19.  The 43 (IMHO) really is a perfectly concealable weapon in a great caliber.  I carry mine in an IWB holster made by HighNoon holsters.  It is so comfortable I don't even notice it's there.  I also like the quality of the Glock build.

I carry my 43 and 19 in Raven Phantom holsters with a cover garment

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MrJones79 said:

I have the 43 and like it but was also just thinking about picking up a Shield Performance Center. Does anyone know if that model is available without the manual safety?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I bought mine a few months back; I was told that the no-safety model would probably be out...someday.

To my knowledge, it hasn't happened yet.

• Like 2

My Glock 43 has been tossed into a tool box , the floorboard of my beater , and ran hard and put up wet. I purposely did it just to see if this new design would run good and hold up and I still have no failures and no rust even though I have scratched the crap out of it . The Glock 43 is a keeper for me. If I make a quick run to Walmart in the middle of the night for milk or whatever I put the 43 in my pajama pants or shorts and its all good.

glock43.jpg

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 1

When I am not sure about a gun but I really want it I run the $hit out of it and I abuse it . I did this with my Glock 43 . As you can see in the picture , it has scratches and scars but no rust. I ran a lot of rounds through it and scratched it up a lot and still no rust and no failures. The 43 is a keeper for me.

Edited by tercel89