Glimpse at the new Classifieds Feature

• Administrator

Hey guys.  It's been a busy January for me, but I have managed to get the new Classifieds system installed behind the scenes and am on the verge of unveiling it to the public.  I wanted you guys to see it first to give me some feedback.  Unfortunately there's no way to give you actual access to it without everyone else seeing classifieds items popping up in their newsfeed, so here are some screen shots to give you an idea of how it will work.

To view these pictures larger, you can right click on them and open them in a new tab.

Pic #1:  This shows where the menu item for the Classifieds section would show up on screen.  One thing to note about the menu bar at the top of the page is that it will consolidate the last few links to the right if your screen resolution is not sufficient to show them all.  When it consolidates them, it rolls the remaining links up into a menu item called "More".

classifieds01.png

Pic #2:  This is the landing page of the Classifieds system.  At the top of the page are blocks for What's New  (which would show recently added items) and Expiring Soon (which would show ads that are near the end of their campaign length).  Below that is the list of categories similar to what you'd see on the home page of the forum where it lists all of the sub-forums.

classifieds02.png

Pic #3:  This is what pops up when you start to create a new advertisement.  It provides a list of the Categories and asks you which one you're going to place the ad into.

classifieds03.png

Pic #4:  This is a view of all of the options that you get to choose from when you are crafting your ad.  In this example you can see that I was creating a fictional ad for an M&P M2.0 9mm handgun and was setting the price for it at $495.  You can add (or omit) information about where the item is located, choosing whether or not to just list the city and state, or also include a street address.  The street address info would be helpful for a Vendor who has a storefront, obviously.

You can also indicate whether you want to Allow Offers on the price, and you can allow the software to Notify you when questions are made about the ad.  The latter is like subscribing to a thread in the normal forums where you get a notification sent if someone responds.

You can also add images directly to your ad, and an ad can have a maximum of 10 images.

The ad also has questions about the item you are selling.  Some of them are required (as indicated) and others are optional.  Obviously if you're selling a backpack or a tree stand, you won't be listing the caliber. :)

You also get an option of Packages Available when posting your ad.  This is a new thing!  You can either go with the standard ad that runs for 45 days at no additional charge beyond what you paid as a Benefactor, or you can "Feature" your ad for 10-days for a very small cost.  Featured ads stay pinned to the top of the Classifieds section and are among the first things people see.

classifieds04.png

• Like 6
  • Administrator

Pic #5:  This last view shows you how the Classifieds posts show up inside of the new activity search.  Not only do you see forum posts but you also see items that have been added to the Classifieds.

Also, anything posted to the Classifieds system will automatically create a new thread in one of the existing Trading Post forums!  This way people using Tapatalk will be sure to see the new items as well.

classifieds05.png

So that's how the thing works.  What do you all think?  Good?  Bad?

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, TGO David said:

LOL.  Keep the feedback coming folks. :)

You need to use a validated survey instrument allowing for the collection of ordinal data so we can apply a Spearman's Ro to determine the correlation of variables to get reliable feedback.

A simple suggestion requesting more feedback will not suffice for the benefactor room.  Keep that pleb stuff in general chat

19b442ceeaf218127d3bd43d0743b980087646e9

• Like 1
  • Administrator
On 1/24/2017 at 3:40 PM, Grand Torino said:

So does a vendor add look any different than a benefactor ad?

On 1/25/2017 at 7:10 PM, TGO David said:

Good question.  I don't think so, out of the box, but I will see i there's some way I can differentiate them.

It occurred to me that I can, and already did, set up "Tags" so that a vendor's posts would be tagged as a Vendor item for sale.

We'll probably go live with this feature this weekend!

• Like 1
  • Administrator

Ok, last bit of an update.  I figure I will throw the switch and make this active later today, but...

When I do this, I will most likely deactivate the ability to start new threads from within the Trading Posts forum and instead route people to the new Classifieds feature to post new items for sale.

The Tapatalk crowd may not like it, but it's the only way this is really going to work effectively for everyone and frankly once again I am very fed up with the limitations that Tapatalk brings us.  From now on my stance is going to be, "If you use Tapatalk on TGO, you will be limited by that platform.  If you want all of the features that TGO offers, you won't use Tapatalk."

Kind of a hard-lined approach but it has to be that way for us to continue to evolve and offer more services.

• Like 1