Glimpse at the new Classifieds Feature

• Administrator

I've made quite a few changes this morning to the categories for items.  I've also changed the way the button was labeled for closing an ad.  Previously it was listed as "Complete This Advert" which was confusing quite a few people.

It's now labeled as "Close This Ad"

• Like 1
  • Moderators
13 hours ago, TGO David said:

I could add that, but is it getting too specific?

I think so. My thought process is like this.

• Manufacturer
  • Caliber
  • Rifle/Pistol/Shotgun

Have the three of those stored as tags so that it can easily be filtered. Wanting a 9mm Glock? You can easily sort to just those via tags.

However, my reason this morning for commenting is something else entirely. I think I've noticed three things within the last day or two regarding TGO as a whole with an emphasis on the new classifieds.

1. For some odd reason, when viewing posts on Tapatalk that have been generated by the classifieds system automatically, it works! However, if you click "View Advert", it takes you to a completely non-related post. Example, just now on my Tapatalk I was looking at the nice Tavor for sale in Chattanooga. I clicked "View Advert" and it took me to "A Brother is Murdered" by James Yeager from 1/19/2007. Must have something to do with how the link/post number is generated by the new system.
  2. I think I've have noticed that in Tapatalk, imaged uploaded by the new classifieds system to not show up at all. I suspect of course if someone uses BBCODE (my preferred method typically anyways) to insert images from a third party host it should work if you put those in the details section. I haven't tested though.
  3. I think I have realized that generally as a whole Tapatalk (sitewide, not just classifieds) does not allow images uploaded by the forum software to be viewed on mobile. I've been thinking about what this is the case, my only conclusion has came down to it must be a permissions issue. I'm just taking a shot in the dark (in a safe direction though I promise!) that the way Tapatalk attempts to parse the uploaded image links, maybe even all image links, does not pass along cookie information to authenticate to the server that the user is logged in. Thus, when parsing those links, the server is denying the request because it appears it is being viewed as a guest. I'm guessing bad foresight by Tapatalk's programmers, but possibly something you could fix if it could be done that the server software allows uploaded images to be viewed by everyone and not just members. Like I said, a shot in the dark.

I acknowledge that you don't and that it is even technically impossible to **fully** support Tapatalk in the sense of trying to implement **all** the features of TGO into Tapatalk. I just pointed out a few odd things. I will probably continue to use Tapatalk to browse general posts but will probably fire-up a web view to investigate any potential classifieds interests.

EDIT: Let me also mention that I clicked "View Advert" (while in Tapatalk) on the two postings of mine that I migrated this morning. Each one of them linked to a seperate thread started by James Yeager in 2007.

/Confused why he's so idolized by the new forum software. Maybe he just had a lot of posts going on in 2007 and the default links being generated somehow match up with a lot of his postings.

Edited by CZ9MM

Is anybody else seeing two entries for every thing put up for sale?  I usually default to the unread content screen.  Whenever someone post something for sale I see it twice.  The first time it says so and so posted an item in Firearms Classified.  The the next item is the same thing but says so and so posted an advert in Firearms Classified.  

Anybody else seeing this?

5 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

Is anybody else seeing two entries for every thing put up for sale?  I usually default to the unread content screen.  Whenever someone post something for sale I see it twice.  The first time it says so and so posted an item in Firearms Classified.  The the next item is the same thing but says so and so posted an advert in Firearms Classified.  

Like this...

Double.gif

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
  • Authorized Vendor
6 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

Yeah I'm seeing the same thing....kinda odd.

On 1/24/2017 at 7:57 AM, broox said:

It's different, I don't like change, why can't it be like it used to?

Ok, got that out of my system.  Looks great! 

I'm in the exact same spot.  Find myself just going back to to the old classifies envying those that can still post/bump their listings.  I like the old view alot better because you can see alot more listings in one screen by text only.  The images take up alot of space, and don't show nearly as many listings on a page.  

I'll get used to the new system eventually...because I have no other choice.

36 minutes ago, MemHeli said:

I'm in the exact same spot.  Find myself just going back to to the old classifies envying those that can still post/bump their listings.  I like the old view alot better because you can see alot more listings in one screen by text only.  The images take up alot of space, and don't show nearly as many listings on a page.  

The thing is, it's still there:

This lists ads the old way

https://www.tngunowners.com/forums/forum/39-firearms-classifieds/ 

This lists it the new way.

https://www.tngunowners.com/forums/classifieds/category/3-firearms-classifieds/

45 minutes ago, MemHeli said:

I figure since TGO David does this as a side job to keep us all a place to talk and post that I will defer to his decision on changes until he starts to sound like Castro or Stalin about things. I am not sure I love the new classifieds on my phone ( I have to go landscape to scroll), but on the PC, they are easy to scroll through.

I am editing to add one thing. The only thing I see so far that might be nice in the classifieds is if we could filter/sort by location. That would only work if the poster added a location though. Being up here in East TN, all the Nashville and Memphis guns are out of my reach. Still like to look a d drool, but if I could filter or sort them to get me stuff closer to home it would help out.

Edited by Ronald_55
  • Like 1
  • Moderators

Overall I'm liking the new classifieds system. From further use I realized that the "advert" is directly linked to the discussion, in as much as if you edit the advert, it edits the original post in the discussion thread. I like that. I wasn't sure how linked together they were, I was afraid if you edited the advert it wouldn't update the discussion thread. This revelation made me like it about 50% more.

Bumping. I guess you just bump the discussion thread? If someone keeps up with the discussion threads then it is easy to make them aware of things such as "updated, cheaper price" or something of the like. If someone only looks at the "new" classifieds interface, old posts get pushed back and it might be that people don't realize you've dropped pricing or something. I don't see a way to "bump" those up, but they do rotate all the way around in a 360 in the sense they start showing up when they are about the expire. That's a take it or leave it I guess.

The most frustrating thing to me is that the advert image/images do not show up in Tapatalk. As stated previously, this perhaps is a complex issue and I don't expect it fixed necessarily. However, I've resorted to manually uploading images to Imgur and then linking to them in the description itself so that Tapatalk users can see things too. I know myself personally, what attracts attention to an item for sale usually is it popping up in the "Unread" section of Tapatalk with a picture. I suspect this is the case for a decent percentage of others as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator
44 minutes ago, prag said:

I used this software for posting some items for the first time today....from starting to completing a sale.  I like it!

I'm a devout technotard and still found it extremely easy to use. Much appreciated David!  :up:

Fantastic!!!  Glad you like it. :)

• Like 1