Prayer Request

A.J. Holst

My follow up for my diverticulitis is still open ended.

My colonoscopy is scheduled 6 weeks from now, depending on the results, I may be under the knife for surgery, removing about a foot of my sigmoid colon.

My preference is no surgery, but prepared for the worst case.

If it is God's plan, a little faith healing could be in my future, so prayers are definitely welcome and appreciated!

May God bless and protect all of my TGO brothers and sisters!

• Like 4

Any time you have to go under the knife it sucks but, honestly, you probably won't even miss that foot of colon.  Heck, if it helps your diverticulitis you will probably say, "Good riddance."  When I had the tumor blocking my colon and the surgeon went in to try and remove the tumor it (my colon) ruptured - actually, more like exploded like an over-filled water balloon based on what I was told, later - and all in all I ended up losing about two feet of colon.  I'm not going to say that it was a good time going through it but mine was pretty complicated because of the rupture, etc.  A straight-forward, non-emergency procedure should see you back on your feet in just a few days and you probably wouldn't even miss the foot of colon.  I'll be sending good thoughts your way, for sure.

Prayers for you.  I also suffer from diverticulitis, and barely escaped the knife several years ago. Worst pain that I've ever experienced.  It felt like someone was slowly dragging a knife around my insides.  When that wasn't happening, the cramps and the associated unpleasantries had me curled up on the floor like a new born baby.

Antibiotics, one week in the hospital and a liquid diet squared me away. I'm glad that my doctor and the surgeon were patient.  

Good luck!

• Like 1

Nobody wants surgery, but can tell you that if you have to have it,  the operation itself should be no huge deal, assuming they can do it laparoscopically, which is standard nowadays for most folks.

I lost about a third of the big pipe (from the other end) about 10 years ago, was driving my FedEx truck 72 hours later (though I wasn't supposed to lift stuff for about a month, had to hire a kid to hump it).

Dunno if any difference from taking it from sigmoid section, but no real significant changes in metabolism for me except that for about a year or two, stuff didn't stay in the system as long so throne time at bit more often.  Benefit, seemed I could eat anything, any amount, and not gain weight. Detriment, then system acclimated back to about same time frame and I gained weight! Seems like I might fart more than before, especially with beans,  but that's pretty subjective as I've always been a significant wind machine. :)

Anyway, here's wishing you every success with it!

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
On 1/25/2017 at 4:34 PM, LINKS2K said:

Prayers for you.  I also suffer from diverticulitis, and barely escaped the knife several years ago. Worst pain that I've ever experienced.  It felt like someone was slowly dragging a knife around my insides.  When that wasn't happening, the cramps and the associated unpleasantries had me curled up on the floor like a new born baby.

Antibiotics, one week in the hospital and a liquid diet squared me away. I'm glad that my doctor and the surgeon were patient.  

Good luck!

This was my experience as well. I spent 13 days in St. Francis Bartlett back in 2009 and barely escaped the knife also. I was fed thru a pic line the first 11 days and yes it was also the worst pain I ever had. Prayers lifted .

• Like 1