22 Magnum VS 17HMR

Having posted about the possibility of using a 22 magnum for coyotes, I got interested in the subject and saw many articles on using the 17HMR. It seemed to me that most articles favored the 22 mag to the 17HMR for larger predators such as coyotes. While I'm still on the side of a more reliable humane kill and feel that even the 22 mag is at the bottom of my list of coyote cartridges, I thought this information was very enlightening to both the 22 magnum guys and those that like the 17HMR. personally, I'm sticking with with a 44 magnum cause I really love to shoot the Marlin 1894 I have in that caliber and I have a lot of ammo for it I bought cheap from a neighbor that sold me the gun.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_17HMR_22WMR.htm

Edited by Randall53

I picked up a Savage 93R17 just for yotes. It turned out to be ridiculously accurate. It has a 20" bull barrel and accused trigger. Absolutely the most accurate cartridge I've ever shot out of a stock gun. 

Ive also got a 22 mag by Marlin, model 57, short stroke lever action with a 24" barrel. 

The trigger is a bear but the rifle is still accurate and hard hitting. The sound of impact is quite impressive when comparing them. 

I haven't had a shot at a yote yet but would trust either one to do the job. Unless it's windy, .17 will stay in the house then.

Edited by Ugly
12 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

I think a 223 is probably more useful. The 17 is good because the bullets aren't as likely to do damage beyond the target.

The 17 seems pretty cheap to shoot too. I've seen a box of 50 about the same as 22mag and sometimes a little cheaper.

• Admin Team

I mentioned in the other thread that I would be hesitant to shoot one with a 22LR. 17 HMR is a different story. Within 100m, so long as the wind is within reason, I wouldn't and haven't hesitated with the 17. 

That is one positively explosive little round. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I mentioned in the other thread that I would be hesitant to shoot one with a 22LR. 17 HMR is a different story. Within 100m, so long as the wind is within reason, I wouldn't and haven't hesitated with the 17. 

Good to know. I know it will vaporize a rabbit's head

2 hours ago, MacGyver said:

The HMR is very good.  I'm talking about the WSM. It's in a complete different category.

29 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Wasn’t there a bunch of drama a few years back with ammo manufacturers telling folks not to shoot 17 HMR in semi-autos?

Yes, cases were splitting.  It still happens, but in a bolt gun it's a little less likely to blow out completely. 

• 1 month later...

I have owned and like both for different purposes.

The 17 Hmr is ideal for target and small varmint. Very flat shooting and explosive. Ground hog is about the max.

The 22 WMR is more of a hunters cartridge. Less meat destruction and more penetration. Coyote is about the max.

I don't own either now because I reload for 223 Remington, which is much more versatile, and cheaper than either 17hmr or 22mag.

• 5 months later...

Both are great choices. I have one of each in the savage 93s bolt actions with the accutrigger The 17hmr tends to be just a tad bit more accurate. But in the right hands both rounds can be tack drivers. Hornady also makes the v max bullet for the .22 magnum although hard to find makes big improvement on accuracy over the typically found hollow points. Ammo tends to be a dollar or two cheaper on the .22 mag on the box. 
Bottom line both are great rounds but if you don't buy a gun with a good trigger and a lot of practice with it the average shooter will never tell the difference in accuracy for the intended ranges for these cartridges are designed for. 
I think you will be happy with either choice of caliber .

Edited by brucelyn
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/15/2017 at 10:39 PM, brucelyn said:

Both are great choices. I have one of each in the savage 93s bolt actions with the accutrigger The 17hmr tends to be just a tad bit more accurate. But in the right hands both rounds can be tack drivers. Hornady also makes the v max bullet for the .22 magnum although hard to find makes big improvement on accuracy over the typically found hollow points. Ammo tends to be a dollar or two cheaper on the .22 mag on the box. 
Bottom line both are great rounds but if you don't buy a gun with a good trigger and a lot of practice with it the average shooter will never tell the difference in accuracy for the intended ranges for these cartridges are designed for. 
I think you will be happy with either choice of caliber .

Remington used to have a V-Max load using the Hornady bullet.  They still offer a round loaded with a polymer tipped bullet that they call 'Accutip-V' and those are pretty accurate in my limited experience.  I'm not exactly sure if they still use the V-max bullet or if they developed their own but by them having dropped the 'V-max' from the name in favor of 'Accutip-V' I suspect the latter.  

CCI also loads a 'V-max' round using the Hornady bullet, I believe.  I don't know that I have ever tried those - in my experience, in my firearms, Hornady WMR ammo hasn't proven all that especially accurate, in general.  A few years back (when no one would ever have thought there even could be a rimfire shortage) my favorite LGS had accidentally way over-ordered Fiocchi WMR JSP ammo.  He had apparently gotten a pretty good deal on it, too - even for the time - and was selling it for $5.00 a box.  I bought a box to try it out and, after shooting it against several other WMR rounds I had on hand from my Marlin 925M, I ended up wishing I had bought $100 worth of it, at least.  It was right up there with the Remington polymer tipped stuff for accuracy and - to my recollection (it has been a few years and I can't find pics I thought I took) - actually beat out Maxi-Mags (which were the worst of the lot), a couple of Winchester loads and a more 'standard' 40 grain Remington load.