hand gun on natchez trace with permit?

Guest D Mason

Okay.

I can't find any mention that an injunction has been ordered?

You?

(had already done Google News and looked at ConcealedCarry before previous post)

I'm assuming that thousands of folks nation-wide will be packing in national parks tomorrow.

- OS

I'm with you in that nothing in that or what I have heard says an injunction has been granted.

But the DOI itself could decided to hold of on implementing the rule until the lawsuit is settled....I guess. But I've not found anything to that effect either.

So who really knows (including rangers) what will be legal tomorrow and what will they do if they find out you are armed. :shrug:

I'm with you in that nothing in that or what I have heard says an injunction has been granted.

But the DOI itself could decided to hold of on implementing the rule until the lawsuit is settled....I guess. But I've not found anything to that effect either.

So who really knows (including rangers) what will be legal tomorrow and what will they do if they find out you are armed. :shrug:

Well, if it were suddenly illegal again, I assume there would have to be an all out effort to get that information disseminated before the hordes of gun nut wackos descend on all the parks in less than 2 hours from now!

Seriously, though, if the Natchez Trace official's info is representative of overall within DOI lands admin, this could be a pretty interesting week around the country, especially in states where folks could OPEN CARRY in the parks, like TN.

(actually, come to think of it, does the new rule allow open carry in states that allow it? I actually don't know).

EDIT: apparantly so:

" Under the final rule, an

individual may possess, carry, and

transport concealed, loaded, and

operable firearms within a national park

area in the same manner, and to the

same extent, that a person may lawfully

possess, carry, and transport concealed,

loaded and operable firearms in the

state in which the Federal park, or that

portion thereof, is located."

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Well, if it were suddenly illegal again, I assume there would have to be an all out effort to get that information disseminated before the hordes of gun nut wackos descend on all the parks in less than 2 hours from now!

- OS

Who really knows....lol

Sounds to me like someone is trying to stall the bill taking effect until the Obamination gets in office and kills it.

Well it really wasn't a bill or and executive order. It was simply a rule change by the DOI. To change it, they would have to go through the rule change process again, which takes a little while.

I believe the main basis of the lawsuit is that they didn't completely follow all the parts of the process.

Just talked to the Natchez Trace headquarters in Miss. and was told the Federal park law for conceled weapon that was going in effect tomorrow has been delayed. He did not know when it will be in effect.....

Well, with no new story surfacing, certainly looks like whatever federale you talked to was blowing smoke. Geez, that has never happened before within US bureaucracy, has it?

- OS

Guest D Mason

I thought something was up, I have looked on several sites and have found NOTHING to indicate that the law has been delayed. He was just blowing smoke or just did not want it to go into effect. Nothing like a honest Ranger!!!!! Thanks OS

Guest HexHead

I just got this email from the NRA....

New Rules On Right-To-Carry In Our National Parks Take Effect Today

Friday, January 09, 2009

In early December, the U.S. Department of the Interior (DOI), through the National Park Service and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, announced the final amended version of a change to rules on carrying firearms in national parks and wildlife refuges. The change will restore the right of law-abiding gun owners to transport and carry concealed firearms for lawful purposes on most DOI lands, according to the laws of the states in which these public lands are located.

The new rule, which takes effect today, allows Right-to-Carry permit holders to carry concealed firearms in national parks and wildlife refuges in states that recognize their permits. The new rule will also put an end to the patchwork of regulations that governed different lands managed by different federal agencies. In the past, Bureau of Land Management and Forest Service lands allowed the carrying of firearms, while lands managed by DOI did not.

The change was obviously necessary, given the passage of Right-to-Carry laws in so many states over the past two decades. As expected, of course, anti-gun activists are adamantly opposed to the new rule, and are already seeking to block the right of law-abiding citizens to protect themselves and their families while on DOI lands.

Not surprisingly, the first to jump on the "banned" wagon was the anti-gun Brady Campaign, in a lawsuit filed against the DOI in federal court, seeking to have the new rule struck down. The National Parks Conservation Association and the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees have also filed a similar suit.

Brady contends that people have a right to visit parks without fear of permit-holders carrying guns. The contention is ludicrous, of course, since to get to a park requires people to travel through places where permit-holders abound, without posing any threat whatsoever.

Using the same hyperbolic rhetoric and fear-mongering claims that are the mainstay of their anti-Right-to-Carry crusades, the Brady Campaign alleges that Right-to-Carry equals danger and violence, when countless studies and reams of data have repeatedly and consistently proved otherwise. Remember, the new rule will extend only to law-abiding citizens who have met the strict safety and background check requirements necessary to acquire a carry permit, and who are legally allowed to carry in the state in which the park is located.

Rest assured that NRA will do everything within its power to keep this important change on the books.

...I believe the main basis of the lawsuit is that they didn't completely follow all the parts of the process.

The lawsuit claims the DOI violated federal law by failing to conduct an environmental review before imposing the new regulations. It also accuses the DOI of violating the National Park Service Organic Act and the National Wildlife Refuge System Administration Act by making the parks and refuges less safe for wildlife and people.

Yeah... that makes sense.:D How do these people know which brush goes on their teeth and which cleans the toilet bowl? I mean, really!! How does a person like this make it in life, much less be in a position of power? :)These people are co-coa for koo-koo puffs.

I'm glad to know that it's, at least, in effect.... for now.

Edited by tadams
  • 5 months later...
Guest ncc74656b

I just spoke with someone on at the Natchez Trace Parkway ((662)842-1572)....all handguns, regardless of the carry permit status fo the carrier, must be unloaded and ammo stored away from the gun.

That's nuts!

I just spoke with someone on at the Natchez Trace Parkway ((662)842-1572)....all handguns, regardless of the carry permit status fo the carrier, must be unloaded and ammo stored away from the gun.

That's nuts!

Until Feb 2010 that is....

Guest HexHead
I thought Natchez Trace was a state park not a National Park?

Nope, You're confusing the State park one out near Jackson with the Parkway. Natchez Trace Parkway here in Nashville is a National Park.

• 8 years later...

Yes you can as of 2010. The Trace is a National Park. See their own rules for transporting firearms. YOu can carry outside your vehicle concealed only if you have a CC permit. And I got mine so I'm good to go. Seee the link below from transporting  rules from the Natchez Trace themselves.

https://www.nps.gov/natr/learn/management/firearms-policy.htm

Edited by oldtoys1961
29 minutes ago, oldtoys1961 said:

Yes you can as of 2010. The Trace is a National Park. See their own rules for transporting firearms. YOu can carry outside your vehicle concealed only if you have a CC permit. And I got mine so I'm good to go. Seee the link below from transporting  rules from the Natchez Trace themselves.

https://www.nps.gov/natr/learn/management/firearms-policy.htm

What a thread resurrection!

1419099707-holy-smokes-batman.jpg

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, desertsubi said:

Stupid question but I'm near lexington and in the park we have a gun range... How does that fit into this... We can shoot there but can't bring our guns in. Lol

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

What park can't you bring your guns in? There's not a park in TN, local, state, or federal that you can't bring a firearm into either without a permit in your car, or on your person outside your car with a permit. The only way they can currently ban guns is if a area is sectioned off and there is an entrance with metal detectors.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, macville said:

What park can't you bring your guns in? There's not a park in TN, local, state, or federal that you can't bring a firearm into either without a permit in your car, or on your person outside your car with a permit. The only way they can currently ban guns is if a area is sectioned off and there is an entrance with metal detectors.

Correct. Although to note, you can't carry into federal buildings in National Parks. But federal law requires such building be posted with that notice. 

1 hour ago, macville said:

Im not originally from around these parts only moved here in December after escaping my tyrannical state of Commifornia so anytime I see anything I ask questions.  I mean in CA if you carry in a bag to your car and someone see's a logo they call it in..  So out here I feel like a criminal every time I do anything.  I knew that if the park was posted and/or a school function that firearms are not permitted, but just saw people stating between federal and state parts and new Natchez Trace in Lexington has a range, thats how my question came to mind.  (Once again I did state it was a stupid question, even though the only stupid question is the one you dont ask.)

And thank you for the response.

16 minutes ago, desertsubi said:

Im not originally from around these parts only moved here in December after escaping my tyrannical state of Commifornia so anytime I see anything I ask questions.  I mean in CA if you carry in a bag to your car and someone see's a logo they call it in..  So out here I feel like a criminal every time I do anything.  I knew that if the park was posted and/or a school function that firearms are not permitted, but just saw people stating between federal and state parts and new Natchez Trace in Lexington has a range, thats how my question came to mind.  (Once again I did state it was a stupid question, even though the only stupid question is the one you dont ask.)

And thank you for the response.

Always good to ask in not sure. Oh and welcome to TN, firearms laws here aren't perfect, but much better than California I imagine. 

Just to note if you didn't notice in the thread....You are close to Natchez Trace "State" Park. But there is also The Natchez Trace Parkway, a "federal" park that is not too far in Middle Tennessee (and Alabama and Mississippi as well)

5 minutes ago, Fallguy said:

Always good to ask in not sure. Oh and welcome to TN, firearms laws here aren't perfect, but much better than California I imagine. 

Just to note if you didn't notice in the thread....You are close to Natchez Trace "State" Park. But there is also The Natchez Trace Parkway, a "federal" park that is not too far in Middle Tennessee (and Alabama and Mississippi as well)

Glad to see you, FG

• Thanks 1