hand gun on natchez trace with permit?

Guest D Mason

Guest D Mason

The new law on being able to carry a conceled weapon in federal parks was passed and started this year. Does any one know if I can carry my weapon on the Natchez Trace parkway? It is a federal parkway and I live near it and travel it very often.

It is my understanding that NOT until the State of TN oks carrying in parks.

You mean, carrying in the Smokies?

That is NOT dependent on "carry in parks" state approval. Just that you have valid permit from the state in which the national park lies.

Also, it hasn't quite taken effect yet? I think it's about the 10th?

Also, the Natchez Trace...AFAIK, you could always transport a firearm on it, just like any other road. Federal law allows you to transport firearm from one legal place to another legal place, regardless of what kind of road, in any state. If you are in a state where your permit is honored, you can carry it on your person and loaded. If no permit, unloaded and separated from ammo in locked box.

As far as carrying concealed on the Natchez Trace, why not? Interstate highways are also "federal roads" and you can carry on them in TN. I don't think the new national park law has any bearing on the matter, as far as passing through in your vehicle.

The Natchez Trace park itself is a state park, though, yes? In which case, again nothing has changed...you can't carry IN it. I take that to mean on your person outside your car.

- OS

Guest D Mason

I ask the local police chief about carring a weapon on the Natchez Trace Parkway if I had a weapon permit and he said NO. I don't think he really knew any way. He did'nt know about the Federal Park law.

I ask the local police chief about carring a weapon on the Natchez Trace Parkway if I had a weapon permit and he said NO. I don't think he really knew any way. He did'nt know about the Federal Park law.

Well, I don't see how the federal park law change has any bearing one way or the other in a state park, or the roads through one.

- OS

ask him again with a copy of the federal law in hand and see what he says...

If you mean the federal law about transporting firearm from one place to another, I agree.

If you mean the new federal park carry law, it would have no bearing.

- OS

Well, I don't see how the federal park law change has any bearing one way or the other in a state park, or the roads through one.

- OS

Natchez Trace Parkway is a national park.

Natchez Trace State Park is, well.......a state park.

Two completely different parks.

ETA: Sorry if I misunderstood your posts. I thought you were getting the two confused. After rereading, it looks like you differentiated between the two.

Edited by Reservoir Dog
Natchez Trace Parkway is a national park.

Natchez Trace State Park is, well.......a state park.

Two completely different parks.

ETA: Sorry if I misunderstood your posts. I thought you were getting the two confused. After rereading, it looks like you differentiated between the two.

No you didn't misunderstand...I never really knew that the Parkway was a "national" parkway.

But I think my original statement stands doubly valid. You could carry on it BEFORE the new federal law, assuming you were going from one legal place of possession to another. And now (or actually soon), you could carry on it because of the new law, and not only that, you could carry outside your vehicle in it, assuming you have valid permit for TN, which is also fine for 'Bama.

My apologies for not researching the Parkway itself, I really didn't know its status, and should have before jumping in.

- OS

It is my understanding that NOT until the State of TN oks carrying in parks.

That is my understanding, as well. I thought the new federal regs only permitted carry in federal parks located in states where state laws also permitted carry in parks.

I have not seen the final decision, so that may have changed.

That is my understanding, as well. I thought the new federal regs only permitted carry in federal parks located in states where state laws also permitted carry in parks.

I have not seen the final decision, so that may have changed.

From the horse's mouth at Dept. of Interior:

http://www.doi.gov/news/08_News_Releases/120508.html

(excerpt):

"Changes in the final regulations from those originally proposed in April were developed as the result of public comments. In particular, comments expressed concern about the feasibility of implementing regulations which directly linked the carrying of concealed firearms in national parks and wildlife refuges to the ability of an individual to carry a concealed firearm on analogous state lands. The final regulations remove that potential logistical hurdle."

Although I cannot find the exact enacted verbiage of the amended rule on DOI site. But this has already be rehashed in other threads here.

Note that the DOI did not make this a peremptory rule, however, as a state can still ban carry in a National Park, but that must specific in the state's statutes.

And at least till now, no one has found a state that has that statute.

- OS

EDIT: if you want to wade through it, here is the actual final rule. I couldn't find it on the huge DOI site, but it is carried verbatim as a PDF from this site:

http://www.snowflakesinhell.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/e8-29249.pdf

It is identified as:

"DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR

National Park Service

36 CFR Part 2

Fish and Wildlife Service

50 CFR Part 27

RIN 1024–AD70

General Regulations for Areas

Administered by the National Park

Service and the Fish and Wildlife

Service

AGENCIES: Fish and Wildlife Service

National Park Service, Interior.

ACTION: Final rule. "

Edited by OhShoot

The roadway itself of the Natchez Trace Parkway is a National Park. So prior to the rule change you could NOT legally carry a loaded firearm while traveling on the parkway. I confirmed this last year directly with the rangers office of the parkway.

But when the new rule goes into effect on the 9th as long as you have a permit that is valid in TN, AL and MS you should be able to carry the whole length of it. I have just sent an e-mail to the same ranger asking him to confirm this.

Edited by Fallguy
Wonder if we can carry in Land Between The Lakes after the 9th?

If you could not carry before, you probably still cannot carry now. Remember, these regulation changes are from the Dept of the Interior. LBL is Forest Service land, therefore under the Dept of Agriculture. I am not familiar with their regulations regarding firearms.

By who?

A federal marshal? A National Park ranger?

What was the charge, exactly?

- OS

NPS Rangers patrol and enforce federal laws and regulations on the Natchez Trace Parkway.

Under the old regulations, I imagine he was charged with a violation of 36 CFR 2.4, which prohibited the carrying or possession of firearms in national park property. There were certain exceptions for authorized hunting, fishing, and target practice at a range. You could have possessed an unloaded firearm in a motor vehicle, as long as it was unloaded and cased.

Guest TargetShooter84

So just to be sure I'm understanding this.....

After the 9th....we'll be allowed to carry on parks, including the smokies?

Reason I ask is b/c me and couple people are planning an hike up in the smokies and we've had some concerns about possibility of running into problems with bears so I would like to have it with me just in case

So just to be sure I'm understanding this.....

After the 9th....we'll be allowed to carry on parks, including the smokies?

Under the new regulations, as long as you have a TN HCP, you are good to go. However, I have not seen anything that confirms the date of January 9, 2009.

New regulation in 36 CFR 2.4:

§ 2.4 Weapons traps and nets.

(h) Notwithstanding any other

provision in this Chapter, a person may

possess, carry, and transport concealed,

loaded, and operable firearms within a

national park area in accordance with

the laws of the state in which the

national park area, or that portion

thereof, is located, except as otherwise

prohibited by applicable Federal law.

... However, I have not seen anything that confirms the date of January 9, 2009...

Preface from the actual Dept. of Interior rule:

DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR

National Park Service

36 CFR Part 2

Fish and Wildlife Service

50 CFR Part 27

RIN 1024–AD70

General Regulations for Areas

Administered by the National Park

Service and the Fish and Wildlife

Service

AGENCIES: Fish and Wildlife Service and

National Park Service, Interior.

ACTION: Final rule.

SUMMARY: This final rulemaking amends

regulations codified in 36 CFR part 2

and 50 CFR part 27, which pertain to

the possession and transportation of

firearms in national park areas and

national wildlife refuges. The final rule

updates these regulations to reflect state

laws authorizing the possession of

concealed firearms, while leaving

unchanged the existing regulatory

provisions that ensure visitor safety and

resource protection such as the

prohibitions on poaching and

limitations on hunting and target

practice.

DATES: This rule becomes effective on

January 9, 2009.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Lyle

Laverty, 202–208–4416.

Note that there is still some question re carrying in "Federal Buildings" within the parks.

Entire rule at:

http://www.snowflakesinhell.com/wp-c...2/e8-29249.pdf

in case you'd like to pore through it and see about that.

- OS