TN is better than GA

I applied for my TN HCP on Monday (completed the HCP class the previous weekend) and got the confirmation that it had been approved on Friday, and that the permit should be to me in 10 days or less. Tennessee certainly isn't perfect, but the state has its act together when it comes to the HCP process. Every aspect of the application process was smooth and painless. To contrast, I waited in long lines for hours to get my permit in Georgia (it took me the better part of 10 hours between the app at the probate court and waiting to be fingerprinted by the police). Once my Georgia app was complete it took my county probate court over 90 days to issue the license to me, and I had to threaten to sue them before they magically found that it was ready to go.

4 hours ago, dawgdoc said:

Sounds like you must have been somewhere like Dekalb County.  Outside the Atlanta area,  we have more normal times (2 weeks or so in Catoosa).

As a matter of fact, I was in Dekalb County. It was a complete disaster. The fragmented process in Georgia had a lot to do with the fact people didn't want the state to have a database of permit holders/applicants, which is pretty ridiculous. 

I was in the first group of 8 or 10 people to get one in McMinn county. My wife's permit number was 002. Seems like mine was 005. In addition to the handgun safety class, we had to furnish a $50,000 liability insurance police. The sheriff then put in his own regulation that we undergo a psychological evaluation. He still did not issue the permits until we threatened to sue him. After that he gave every police department in the county a list with all of our names on it so they could take extra precautions around us.

14 hours ago, Eray said:

I was in the first group of 8 or 10 people to get one in McMinn county. My wife's permit number was 002. Seems like mine was 005. In addition to the handgun safety class, we had to furnish a $50,000 liability insurance police. The sheriff then put in his own regulation that we undergo a psychological evaluation. He still did not issue the permits until we threatened to sue him. After that he gave every police department in the county a list with all of our names on it so they could take extra precautions around us.

That sounds just a wee bit unconstitutional.

23 hours ago, TennDawg said:

As a matter of fact, I was in Dekalb County. It was a complete disaster. The fragmented process in Georgia had a lot to do with the fact people didn't want the state to have a database of permit holders/applicants, which is pretty ridiculous. 

The original reason why people had to go to the Probate Judge to apply for a license was so that the white judge could determine if the applicant was an undesirable character (meaning black).  In fact, just about every gun control law in Georgia has its roots in racism with the goal to keep blacks disarmed  After seeing that report about the Floridian who was hassled up north (Maryland, I think), I think it is a good idea to have a fragmented system to prevent a central database.  In his case, it appeared that the LEO had some way to access the fact that the guy had a CC license even though the guy was not carrying and did not tell the LEO.  In the case of Dekalb county (where I was born, FWIW), I think the legislature needs to put in severe, enforceable penalties for the Probate judges who violate the time constraints of the law.

I remember seeing someone comment that Dekalb Probate gives excuses like paperwork backlog as to why they can't get Georgia Weapons Carry License issued in the required amount of time, yet once gay marriage was legalized, they were ready and eager to issue those marriage licenses.

2 hours ago, dawgdoc said:

The original reason why people had to go to the Probate Judge to apply for a license was so that the white judge could determine if the applicant was an undesirable character (meaning black).  In fact, just about every gun control law in Georgia has its roots in racism with the goal to keep blacks disarmed  After seeing that report about the Floridian who was hassled up north (Maryland, I think), I think it is a good idea to have a fragmented system to prevent a central database.  In his case, it appeared that the LEO had some way to access the fact that the guy had a CC license even though the guy was not carrying and did not tell the LEO.  In the case of Dekalb county (where I was born, FWIW), I think the legislature needs to put in severe, enforceable penalties for the Probate judges who violate the time constraints of the law.

I remember seeing someone comment that Dekalb Probate gives excuses like paperwork backlog as to why they can't get Georgia Weapons Carry License issued in the required amount of time, yet once gay marriage was legalized, they were ready and eager to issue those marriage licenses.

The Dekalb PD told me that they had 90 business days to process my background check, then called me a liar when I tried to correct them with the relevant GA code. The probate judge just sort of shrugs and says she's at the mercy of the PD to return background info to her, which while true doesn't absolve her of of her duty to hold them accountable. The problem under current GA law is that you can really only sue if you're denied a license on bogus grounds. There's no real recourse against taking longer than is allowed by law since the suit will (and has been) declared moot as soon as a license is issued.

As to my comment on the fragmented process, I agree that having a searchable database of license holders raises a lot of privacy concerns. My point wasn't that privacy isn't a concern, but rather that Georgians traded the potential efficiency of a uniform statewide process for a completely false sense of privacy. There may not be a database available to every local LEO, but if you have to pass an FBI and GBI background check you're on a list somewhere (to say nothing of the fact that the physical cards are all printed by one company).

Edited by TennDawg
On 1/28/2017 at 10:31 AM, runco said:

You should have been apart of the 1st wave back in the early 90s when TN first introduced this process.  It took close to 6 mos.

Or among the wave of people who were getting permits back around 2008.  In TN, the law says that they have 90 days to either get your permit to you or let you know it was denied and why.  Mine took very nearly the entire 90 days.  In fact, it was getting so close that I contacted someone at TDOT to find out what the hold up was.  Miraculously, mine arrived in the mail a few days later.  I think the TN permit system is (fairly) efficient now partly as the result of having been so relatively inefficient and unprepared for sudden, increased demand just a few years ago.

• Like 1
On 1/28/2017 at 8:27 AM, TennDawg said:

I applied for my TN HCP on Monday (completed the HCP class the previous weekend) and got the confirmation that it had been approved on Friday, and that the permit should be to me in 10 days or less. Tennessee certainly isn't perfect, but the state has its act together when it comes to the HCP process. Every aspect of the application process was smooth and painless. To contrast, I waited in long lines for hours to get my permit in Georgia (it took me the better part of 10 hours between the app at the probate court and waiting to be fingerprinted by the police). Once my Georgia app was complete it took my county probate court over 90 days to issue the license to me, and I had to threaten to sue them before they magically found that it was ready to go.

I got my first permit when I turned 21 in FL.     It was a 90 day wait until you could get it after photo, fingerprints, application and fees were submitted.  At 90 days and 2 weeks, I called to ask about it and they said the FBI spilled coffee on the fingerprint cards.  I reminded them that FL was 'shall issue' and that my permit better be here quick. It actually showed up the next day.  This was more than 20 years ago.

Bob