Pointers for a newbie

I'm going to try my hand at IDPA and/or USPSA at the ORSA range in February, and I was hoping for any pointers that experienced shooters might be able to share with me. I've read a lot of the stuff out there for new shooters, so I'm not going in completely blind. For those of you that shoot competitions regularly, what do you wish you would have known at your first match, for example? My plan is to shoot with my CZ 75, which I believe is SSP in IDPA if that helps at all.

Edited by TennDawg

Be safe, have fun, and learn.  Beyond that, your CZ75 will be good in USPSA Production.  Can't speak for IDPA, I've never participated in that.  Stay up on the weather and wear comfortable, durable shoes with great traction.  I've seen a couple DQs from guys slipping on mud or wet grass and breaking the 180, and I've slid through a shooting box or two for the same reasons.

I shoot pretty regularly at ORSA (IDPA).  Always a lot of new shooters each month.  Arrive no later than 0830 for a new shooter briefing.  Bring gun, 3-4 mags, holster, mag pouch and about 100-150 rounds of ammo. 

Like mentioned above, mags can be loaded but gun stays unloaded until ready to shoot.  Keep gun in holster until ready to shoot. 

I would not worry too much about the rule book.  It is very long and might not make sense to the new shooters. 

Go slow and focus on accuracy, not speed at first. 

Asking questions is fine too. 

Main thing. . .have fun and be safe. 

Show up early, help setup stages and ask questions while you are helping setup. This will do two things.
1) get some first hand knowledge of what the stage layout is and be thinking of how you want to shoot it. This is important for new folks because you will have limited time during the match to plan.
2) asking questions during this time and letting them know you are new may help them squad you with folks that are more experienced and helpful.

Don't be afraid to ask if you aren't sure. No one likes to DQ anyone, and SO's and shooters are generally more than willing to answer questions.

Going out to shoot the first match is the biggest hurdle. Lots of the guys at ORSA are great, and they will make you feel at home.

If you have any specific questions, you can always shoot me a message here or via email and I'll answer them the best I can.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

On 1/29/2017 at 3:05 PM, TennDawg said:

I'm going to try my hand at IDPA and/or USPSA at the ORSA range in February, and I was hoping for any pointers that experienced shooters might be able to share with me. I've read a lot of the stuff out there for new shooters, so I'm not going in completely blind. For those of you that shoot competitions regularly, what do you wish you would have known at your first match, for example? My plan is to shoot with my CZ 75, which I believe is SSP in IDPA if that helps at all.

Your CZ 75 is SSP legal.  You will have to start with the hammer down though.  If it's a decocker it can go to half-cock.  If it's a safety, you have to manually lower the hammer all the way down.  For safety models, you can have it cocked and locked, but you have to shoot ESP division.

Rehash...go to safety briefing, stages will already be set.  Listen, watch, ask questions.  You will not be shooting first so you will get to see others shoot and learn by their mistakes or example.  Don't worry about speed.  Shoot accurately and obey all safety rules which are your basic 4.  Most everyone at ORSA is helpful and new shooters welcomed.  Plan for a fairly long day (about 3PM) .  About 120 shooters registered already.