2017 Turkey Season Thread

Got a double at Land Between the Lakes this morning. It was a great hunt, both of us shooting 20ga TSS loads, both very thankful to be able to get a public land double, especially as tough as those LBL birds are.

602c5a4cd0b1d9c6695b340fad87da2b.jpg
06cd5f0c82f1e85af849a5897e23370e.jpg
92cea73b8a340a6daf1d87935cacbdc9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4
Nobody has posted on this in a while. I wondered if anybody had got another bird or had been hunting? I've not done any good in the last week? I've heard several but, haven't got any to come in. Good luck to everybody.

Birds have been working well after 9am for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Good luck!  Your having a great season. 

Thanks. My buddy says, in the years you have turkeys, you learn "how to kill" turkeys. Those years you don't have turkeys, you learn "how to hunt" turkeys. This year, I'm fortunate to have lots of opportunities to land full of turkeys. My fear is the lack of jakes I am seeing and how that will impact next year.

17 hours ago, whiskey said:

Thanks. My buddy says, in the years you have turkeys, you learn "how to kill" turkeys. Those years you don't have turkeys, you learn "how to hunt" turkeys. This year, I'm fortunate to have lots of opportunities to land full of turkeys. My fear is the lack of jakes I am seeing and how that will impact next year.

Your buddy is exactly right.  My property seems to be covered up with hens and jakes but very few mature gobblers.  Last Saturday I was out and saw 6 hens and 1 gobbler cruising around in the down pour while I was staying dry in a deer blind.  Am also training some future turkey hunters this season.   Been bringing my 3 and 5 year old sons with me so I haven't been as mobile as I usually am during turkey season.  Even though I haven't taken a gobbler yet it's been fun being out there with my kids.  They've spotted turkeys when I haven't seen them so it's been like having a few extra set of eyes with me. 

• Like 1

Tough hunting in Indiana. Rained on us Friday and Saturday. Did a lot of blind sitting and I can assure you an oatmeal cream pie ain't enough food for 12 hours in a blind! To make it worse, there weren't any birds! We decided to leave Saturday afternoon, but made a call to a buddy who had told me about his family farm in Indiana. Had to drive another couple hours, put the TSS on a couple of good Indiana limb hangers this morning.

e5dc4f2c710706a9b58f7bb4685c2052.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

2017-05-08_21.40.12_zpswr9w0oll.jpg

Haven't been on in a long time. Been busy with work. Wife and I had another kiddo. He's 3 months old so my turkey hunting this year has been slim to none lol. Was blessed this week with 2. Here is one of them. Hopefully I can get out this weekend and finish the season out with 1 more.

Edited by ShaunM
  • Like 3